2- Reunion
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"No matter how many times I look out across the waves, it doesn't help. I still miss you, Seth."

A shin covered in leather connected with Seth's face and knocked him to the ropes.

"Focus, Blackwell! Head in the ring!"

Seth made eye contact with Coach John, nodded, then turned and placed his hands back up to cover his chin. There would be a bruise later, even though he’d rolled with it. He stalked in, greeted by a stiff jab from his opponent. Seth slipped to the outside and ripped a low hook into the other fighter’s body, followed by an opposite-leg roundhouse into the meaty portion of his thigh. A second hook coming in hot over the top finished the combo and sent the other boy reeling.

Seth squared up, his rhythm coming back to him.

Parry, slip, roll. Jab, jab. Push-kick.
Seth followed through with a lightning-fast roundhouse from the right that slipped just under his opponent's guard and folded him like a lawn chair. Seth took the opportunity to seize his opponent by the neck in a clinch and start throwing knees. Both of them breathed heavily through their mouthpieces as they struggled for dominance in the tie-up.

BEEPBEEPBEEP!

The timer sounded and the two separated, smacking gloves as they walked apart. Seth crossed his hands and held them over his head, his breathing laborious, sweat running off of his face and chest, the familiar tightness returning between his shoulder blades. He followed his opponent out of the ring. Coach John caught him by the elbow with a grip of iron. "Seth, what's going on? Are you worried about fighting Jayson?" John was built like a brick house, his decades of training in the martial arts complemented by decades of straining under a heavy barbell. His green eyes pierced through Seth.

Seth looked away and spat his mouthguard into the palm of his glove. "It's nothing, Coach. Just daydreaming when I shouldn't be."

"That's not like you. Grand Island is coming up in a week and a half. Your focus is always on point. Again, what's going on?"

Seth shook his head. "It's no big deal."

"Seth." John crossed his forearms. "You've been training under Ms. Tull and I you since you were ten. You can tell me."

Seth looked around the gym. It was noon, which meant everyone was starting to wrap up their drills and clean up after Saturday's last class. He sighed and started to undo his gloves. "It's Madeline."

"Did you two break up?"

"No-" Seth hesitated. "I don't think- I don't know." He pulled his other glove off his hand, then sat down on the steps from the ring and started to undo his shin guards.

"Explain." The massive martial artist sat down on the step beside Seth.

"It's just been a weird summer is all. We're on break, but not really. She's off in Maine doing her family's... sailing thing, no phones and all, and I'm stuck here. It's just weird. She gets back this weekend and our first time seeing each other all summer is gonna be on her birthday. I just want her to come to Grand Island. No one made it out last year, and now that I have a girlfriend, I'd like her to see me do my thing. I dunno."

John placed a hand on Seth's shoulder. Seth was strong, but the massive hand engulfed his upper back. "You two are going to be fine. It's high school. You shouldn't worry so much about it."

"Yeah, but I love her. Like I really do. We'll have been dating for almost a year when she gets back."

John stood up. "If you love each other, then there's nothing to worry about."

Seth looked up at his coach. "Yeah. I guess you're right."

"Everything is going to be okay, Seth." John looked around the gym. "Now help scrub the mats. I know at least half the sweat out there belongs to you."

Seth chuckled as John turned and walked away, then hung his head and ran his hands through his sweaty, dirt-blond hair. His thoughts went back to the one bit of contact he'd had with Madeline since early June when her family left for Maine: a three-page, handwritten letter that smelt of her perfume. Just that smell was enough to launch him back to that summer night they had first crossed paths, to remind him of the scent of the bonfire and the breeze of the warm summer night moving among the pine trees.

She was the hippie chick, her hair a new color or highlight every week, a new eccentric style every month. That night she'd been a redhead tinged with violet streaks. She'd worn feathers braided into her hair. He was 'the kid who fights', not quite one of the jocks—no, the fact that he did theater firmly kept him from being pulled into that circle—but not really any other category either. He had his own image he'd been given, and the hippie chick didn't really fit alongside that. Nevertheless, they'd first locked eyes from across those flames, and Seth knew from that moment on exactly what he wanted. She was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen and he wanted to find out if that beauty went deeper than her skin.

They were the last two awake that night. When everyone else crashed around the lake-house, they stayed up talking about the journeys they'd had through life so far. It was young, innocent. The night ended with a kiss and her falling asleep on his chest.

"Think fast, Seth."

Andrew flung a wet towel through the air. Seth barely caught it before it hit his face. His best friend's gray sweatpants and tee shirt from their high school’s wrestling team were so soaked they almost looked black. Just as much sweat dripped from his bushy brown hair as did Seth's.

"Quit daydreaming. Let's wash these mats and go get some food."

"Yeah," said Seth. He kicked off his last shin guard. "Let's do that."

***

Seth's knuckles were white around his steering wheel despite the fact that clenching his arms aggravated his tired and sore shoulders. The tightness between his shoulder blades was present as always. He’d parked at the start of 61st Avenue, right at its intersection with Birmingham. The houses of the neighborhood were steeped in well-carried age, and it had the colossal oaks and pines to show for it. Seth let out a slow breath and looked at himself in the mirror. The bruise on his cheek wasn't nearly as bad as he'd thought it would be, but his worried blue eyes stared back at him, the color of a troubled ocean.

"Come on," he said through clenched teeth. "Everything is going to be fine."

He looked at his leather-strapped watch. Ten fifty-six. He rubbed his face, pulled the keys out of the ignition, and stepped out of the car, the dusty scent of a road under the summer sun filling his nostrils. Seth grabbed his duffel out of the back, lighter than his usual load of sparring equipment and workout clothes, locked the doors on his crappy Toyota Tacoma, and set off down 61st. His thoughts raced as he struggled to control the speed of his footfalls. His and Madeline's short correspondence via text last night hadn't helped.

Eleven good tomorrow?

Yes. See you then.

She came from a family of hippies, and their rule—suggestion—of no phones during summer vacation had not helped Seth's state of mind. All he could think about was that he was about to be dumped and that he'd been a fool for waiting on her if that was the case. Seth came to a halt and turned to his right.

Her house had two gargoyle statues at the end of the driveway her parents always called ugly but never got around to removing. Seth liked the way they looked. A large oak tree dominated their front yard, its branches providing shade to the three-story brick home, and interlocking over the house with the branches of the massive trees behind their home.

The front door slammed open and Seth almost jumped. Madeline stood in the doorway, hair bobbed and now brunette, clothed in a psychedelically colored sari and a blouse of more muted color. She put her hands over her mouth for a moment, then moved them away to reveal a massive smile. Seth's heart swelled in his chest and he dumped his duffel off his shoulder and sprinted up the driveway to meet her as she raced down the steps.

Seth caught her by the waist and hoisted her up. She squealed, looping her arms around his neck. He set her down and pulled her hips into his, meeting her with a kiss that contained all the pent up emotion of an entire summer. Her arms squeezed around his neck as she returned the kiss. They pulled apart and Seth looked into her eyes. "God, I've missed you."

"I missed you, too, penguin."

Because penguins mate for life, silly.

Seth beamed.

"You guys are gross.”

He looked up to see Madeline's best friend Sarah leaning in the doorway, arms folded under her chest. "I don't have a guy right now, so you guys aren't allowed to rub it in."

Seth held Madeline close with a hand on the side of her hips as she leaned against his chest. "I'm gonna stop you right there, Sarah,” he said.

“We can do whatever we want. You haven't had to wait an entire summer. You could have a guy at any time."

Sarah huffed. "Yeah, yeah. One of you is sitting up front on the drive though, I'm not letting you two make out the whole way to the lake-house. Especially not since we're eating before the drive."

Seth let go of Madeline and crossed his arms, grinning. "I don't think you're in a position to make those kind of demands."

"Fine, then," snipped Sarah. "I guess I'll just eat all the pizza that was supposed to be yours."

Madeline hugged Seth around the waist. "Let's not torture her too much. She'll find a guy at the party and we can sneak off." She looked up at him with those deep emerald eyes of hers and Seth melted a little inside.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Oh. My. God." Sarah gave Madeline a look and shook her head. "So gross." She turned and walked inside, leaving the door open behind her.
Madeline leaned up and kissed Seth. "Come on, penguin. Let's go eat." She took him by the hand and led him up the steps to her house.

Seth was immediately greeted by her mother, who was clearly the one Madeline got her appearance from. "Seth! It's been so long! It's good to see you again."

Seth smiled. "It's good to see you, too, Mrs. Olson. I'm just glad you guys didn't have any kind of freak boating accident and Madeline came back safe."

"Oh, Chris knows his boats. We were the furthest thing from danger," she said. "You know next year, you really should come with us."
Madeline interjected. "Seth will be going to college, though. I don't think he'll be able to."

Seth looked over at her. "No, I mean, not during the summer. I'd love to come."

"Okay." There was a moment of awkward silence.

Mrs. Olson laughed. "There's pizza in the kitchen, I baked it myself. You guys eat up, it's a long drive out to the lake-house."

"Thank you," said Seth. He followed Madeline into the kitchen where Sarah already chewed her way through a massive slice of pizza. Seth looked at the pie sitting on a cooking stone on the kitchen island. It smelled delicious but he could not for the life of him identify exactly what kind of meat was on it. He narrowed his eyes and looked over at Madeline. "This isn't tofu or something weird like that, is it?"

She laughed and covered her mouth with her hand. "No, it's not. I told my mom no vegetarian stuff today."

Seth took a slice and bit into it. Chicken, he thought. He still wasn't certain. But as he watched Madeline smile and interact with Sarah and her mom, something still felt off. He didn’t feel secure with her back.

***

Dusk passed into night by the time they made it to the stretch of forested road that led to Madeline's family's lake house. The moon and the stars lit up the countryside with a heavenly luminescence that made Seth feel a strange kind of magic in the air through the open windows of Madeline's blue classic Volkswagen Beetle. Aside from the distant single headlight of a motorcycle far behind them, they were alone on the road. Madeline and Seth sat in the back while Sarah drove. Sarah kept glancing in the mirror, making an exasperated sigh at any sign of affection. Madeline leaned her head on Seth's shoulder and Sarah made yet another noise.

"Relax, Sarah. I'm sure there's some guy going to the party who's going to be trying to make out with you."

"Yeah, well, I'm not at the party yet, am I, and you guys are so sweet it makes me wanna puke."

Seth leaned forward so his head was right beside Sarah's. "Yeah, just because you like your flings doesn't mean we do. I don't think I've even seen you hold hands with a guy."

Sarah glared at him. "You're a jerk, Seth."

Seth met her gaze. "Did you have a dry spell the entire summer?"

She twisted her lips. "No."

"I have. Now, I'm going to cuddle with my girlfriend."

"God, you guys disgust me."

Seth settled back and placed his hand on the inside of Madeline's thigh while she nuzzled his shoulder. Sarah rolled her eyes and smiled a little. Seth knew she didn't mind, Sarah was just the kind of person who had to be giving someone grief at all times.

"You know David and Anthony's new season is starting up soon, right?”

There it was. Seth snorted.

"They're a joke."

"Everyone says if that's what you're saying, you should show up and prove they are." Seth looked out the window again at the moonlit forest. The thick shadows breathed secrets of a world unseen. Sarah was ruining the ambiance of the night. Madeline chuckled. "Seth has actual fights to train for, Sarah. You and I have both seen him in the ring."

Sarah raised an eyebrow and gave a half-grin. "Bare-knuckle is a different game is all."

"Hey, Sarah," said Seth. "Since you're such an expert on fighting, where do you train?"

"Youtube."

Seth laughed. "Damn, I guess you have me there."

The car pulled to a stop and Seth looked out the front window. There was no space in Madeline's own driveway, and if he knew anything, the garage was taken up with beer pong. He looked out the right side of the car. Yup. No less than three tables had games going.

"How many did you invite?" He asked Madeline.

She started unbuckling herself. "Oh, none. Sarah did all the inviting. I haven't had a phone the entire summer." She placed a hand on his cheek and smiled mischievously. "Or did you forget about how much you missed me already?"

Seth kissed her. "Just living in the moment."

They all exited the Volkswagen, and barely made it halfway up the driveway before someone in the massive throng of teenagers milling through the yard and open lake house started screaming the lyrics of Happy Birthday. The entire crowd was looking at Madeline and singing along.
Seth felt intensely uncomfortable. This wasn't his scene. He couldn't even hear the waves of the lake behind the house over the din, and that was half the reason that he would ever come this far out of the city. He endured the spectacle while Madeline absorbed it, seemingly coming more alive at the attention. She grabbed the side of his shirt and leaned over to his ear as everyone finished singing and began clapping. "I know you hate crowds. I'm gonna say hi to everyone I have to, then I'll meet you upstairs, okay?"

Seth looked down at her and smiled. He gave her a kiss on the forehead, then sped off into anonymity. He and Sarah ran in very different circles and once he left the birthday girl's side, he didn't have to deal with already drunk teenagers assaulting him with vapid, endlessly repeating conversations.

He made his way to the kitchen, unsurprised to find a keg--no, two kegs there. Seth grabbed a Solo cup and filled it up, weaving his way through dozens of people he'd never seen before in his life to the balcony that overlooked the lake. It looked like it contained a million lights, the reflection of the sky bathing the back of the two-story lake house in beautiful astral light. The scene was somewhat ruined by the thumping of music, dancing teenagers, and of course, multiple couples making out all over the patio furniture.

Seth moved past, down the stairs, and walked out onto the dock. He stared out onto the black and white water for a good minute before he realized someone sat on the very end of the pier, legs dangling over the water. They twisted where they sat, their face hidden from him by the light reflecting in front of them.

"You look like you don't like parties," came a feminine voice.

Seth sipped from his cup. "No. Not really."

"That's a shame. It's a good party."

"Says the person away from it all."

"Just taking a minute to text someone." She held up a phone. Seth couldn't see a single feature of her face, but he felt like she was studying him: he had the same feeling when he stepped into the ring with an opponent he'd never faced before. "Don't you have a girlfriend waiting for you or something?"

"In a few minutes, I'm sure I do," said Seth. "But she's the social one and has to say hi to all her friends first."

"It must suck to not be the number one priority."

"Excuse me?" Seth took an unintentionally aggressive step forward.

She held up her hands in a placating gesture, still twisted in her seated position. "I didn't mean anything. It just sounds like her friends are more important."

Seth worked to quell the rising anger in his stomach. "No- I mean... Who the hell are you?"She shrugged and turned to face the lake. Seth squinted. His eyes now readjusted to the night he could make out she had jet black hair. He stared for a minute, unsure of whether to try and have the last word or not, then settled on taking a drink and walking away. Madeline should have been done by then.

He again made his way through the mass chaos of the party before heading upstairs. He produced a key from his pocket and unlocked the guest bedroom, shutting it behind him. He set his cup on the desk and laid down on the bed, tucking his hands behind his head and staring at the ceiling. He waited.

Seconds turned to minutes. Minutes turned to an hour. Seth sat up and pulled his phone out of his pocket. No service. Of course.
The door slammed open."Hey, penguin." Madeline leaned in the doorway, hair tucked over her shoulder, one hand on her hip. Seth smiled. "That took a while."

"Sarah wanted to introduce me to literally every friend she made this summer. You know how she is."

"Yeah, I do."
Madeline stepped into the room and shut the door behind her, locking it as she did so. "I should reward you for your patience." She moved onto the bed, straddling Seth's lap. She kissed him. "It's been a long summer."

Seth trailed his hands down her back, caressing the small of it and eventually settling his hands on her ass. He squeezed. "It sure has."
Madeline leaned in and nipped at his neck. "I've missed you." She ground her hips into his as she came back up and kissed him, just the tip of her tongue brushing against his. She moved back and looked him in the eyes. "Next year you're coming with us."

And still, in the back of Seth's mind, doubt flickered.

1