09 – Departing
628 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stayed a week at the tower ruin, but I decided it was time to depart to find a town. For now, I followed the river.

My week at the tower ruin was quite productive. Two of the rooms that were still intact were a storeroom and a study room. Let me first talk about the storeroom, since I found a bunch of new equipment. I found a simple leather armor and a simple katana there. I really couldn’t believe that I was this lucky and switched my equipment right away. Until that point, I was still wearing the dirty and tattered clothes from my old world.

The reason I switched to katana, instead of continue using a long sword, is simple. I think they are really cool and I would love to use one. Sadly, I didn’t get the katana proficiency for my Swordsmanship Skill, yet. But I think it is only a matter of time.

Other than that, I found a few other useful things. I will not list everything now, but let me at least show two of the items. The first one was a Fire Magic Stone. When I read the description and saw that it can start a small fire, I immediately left for the forest and hunted a small Horned Rabbit. Horned Rabbits are small weak monsters that seem to live in this world. They look just like normal rabbits, but are bigger and have a small horn on their forehead.

After hunting, I dismantled the rabbit and started a campfire to grill its meat. It was my first taste of cooked food since coming to this world. It wasn’t seasoned or anything, just plain meat. But it was absolutely delicious. I actually teared up because of the taste of proper food, but I managed to not cry.

I also tried to store the blood of the monsters I hunted throughout this week, but as expected, it didn’t work, since the blood coagulated.

The second important item I found was a magic bag. It just looks like a small bag, but it can actually hold a lot of stuff. So I put all of my stuff in there.

The study was the room where I spent the most time. I read most of the books there. There was a lot of stuff about this world written in them. I spare you the boring details, but there are different races other than just humans, like elves, beastkin, dwarves and also demons. At first I looked more into the information about the demon race, since I thought vampires may be part of it, but I was wrong. Actually, I found nothing about vampires at all. And to be honest, I am worried about it. I still don’t know where the vampire race fits into this world. That’s why I decided to hide the fact that I am a vampire.

The information that was the most exciting for me was about the Adventurer’s Guild. Adventurers seem to be something like professional monster hunters. The guild is an international neutral organization and people can put up requests at the Guild. Adventurers can take these requests and get the money after they completed the request. There are also different ranks, starting with the lowest rank H up to the highest rank SS. But there doesn’t seem to be anyone at the highest rank right now. There is only one person at rank S right now. Most of the adventures are at rank D or C, and rank B and A are already considered the elite.

I am definitely going to register as an adventurer and travel the world. They said that there is no way for me to get back to my old world. So the only thing I can do is to enjoy this new world as much as possible. To be honest, I am actually excited about living in this world. There was nothing holding me holding me in my old world. And if I compare being a park ranger with being an Adventurer, Adventurer may be even more fun.

And I definitely want to learn magic. But there wasn’t a book about magic, so I still don’t know how to use it. Oh, but I almost forgot. Instead of magic, I got two other skills during my hunting trips.

Dismantling (Rank H)

Improves the quality of dismantled monster materials.

Concealment (Rank H)

Conceals the presence of the user, so it is harder to notice them. Also allows to conceal the users’ status information.

Both of the skills are quite useful, but concealment made me really excited. I immediately hid the information about being a vampire and I also concealed the skill Concealment itself, so that people don’t know I can conceal my status.

I also reached Level 15.

But now back to my current situation. As I said, I am currently walking along the river to hopefully get out of this forest, but it seems the sun is already setting. So it’s time to set up my camp. That was actually a part that I worried about. I don’t really like sleeping in a forest full of monsters without protection.

That’s why I actually tried a few things before departing. I tried setting up different traps that would alarm me and slept outside of the tower ruin. it seems the solution was quite simple. Like this, I could have even slept inside the dungeon anytime. But there was one thing that I didn’t expect and that was my senses being more sensible that I thought. Even when I was asleep.

The second night after setting up my traps, a Level 12 Wild Panther was bold enough to approach me and I actually woke up even before it reached my traps. I defeated it, but not without a few injuries. The Wild Panther was so fast that it was even for me hard to keep up with it. But I somehow countered it while evading critical injuries. After it slowed down considerably because of the injuries, I was able to deal the final blow.

After the fight, I was again surprised how convenient my vampire abilities are. I mean, without my good night-vision, there would be no way I could have evaded its attacks and would have died for sure.

After the fight, I drank its blood to trigger my recovery skill. I don’t hesitate anymore to drink the blood directly from a monster. It was gross to drink blood from bats, but compared to that, beast-like monsters are not that bad.

By the way, the Wild Panther meat was absolutely delicious. I also took its pelt, monster core and other stuff. Maybe I can sell it as materials, even if it’s not in best condition.

During the first night of my journey, nothing happened and I continued my journey in the morning. The first change happens when I am about to prepare lunch. I hear a distant howl, then a second and a third one. I already sensed their presence for a while, but they kept their distance and so did I.

Until now, I didn’t really know what type of monsters they were, but now it’s clear that they are wolf-like monsters. So they will probably attack me as a pack. I sense that there are 3 groups of them and they are about to surround me. But unfortunately I still have not enough experience to tell their exact numbers.

But that’s not important right now. I can’t let them surround me, so I move too. If I can reach one group and kill them before the other two arrive, it would improve my position dramatically. The closest group is the northern one, so I run that way.

When I arrive there is a group of four Wolves all around Level 3-5. So it should not be impossible to defeat them. I would have preferred to get them by surprise, but that was not possible since they noticed me from the start. As I am getting close, there is another howl from that group, probably to notify the other two groups. I can sense them coming closer, but I still have a few minutes until another group arrives.

I decide to not play defense this time and immediately take the first strike against the closest wolf. It barely evades it, but it couldn’t do anything against my follow up attack and dies. But now the other three start to attack me, too. I evade all their attacks until there is a gap. I don’t hesitate and kill the second wolf. Another wolf attacks, but I send it flying with a kick. I use that time to kill the third wolf and when the fourth realizes it is the last one standing, it retreats.

By the time I notice the wolf running away, I already know there is no way I can catch up to it. It is about to meet up with the other two groups. And a minute later, I am facing ten wolves in total.

15