38 – Rescue
265 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The viscount and his butler look at me with wide eyes. The butler recovers faster from the shock. He draws two hidden daggers and starts attacking me.

The butler is actually stronger than expected. He is level 21 and quite skilled with daggers. But even if his level is slightly higher than mine, I am still at an advantage. It’s not like I need to use my blade to fight him, since I decided not to kill anyone.

And in that case, my heightened physical abilities are coming quite handy.

I evade his daggers and punch him without holding back. The butler flies backwards against the wall and immediately looses his consciousness. I don’t need any fist-fighting or martial arts skills if I knock him out with just one hit.

“Don’t move!”

I turn to the voice and see that the viscount also recovered from his shock. He had also pulled out a dagger, holding it against Thalia’s neck.

Rika and Thalia both sit tied up in wooden chairs. They are both gagged and they look at me with tears in their eyes. Thalia is trembling while Rika clenching her fists.

“Don’t worry. I’ll definitely save you.”

“What are you talking about? Don’t you realize the situation you are in? Don’t you know who I am?”

Obviously, it has to be the viscount who has to interrupt me. I glare at him and say in an overly humble manner, while bowing, “oh, I know exactly who you are, Viscount Hayes. You are the one who is going to regret making an enemy out of me.”

“What?! What are you talking about? Don’t you see that I have your slave as a hostage? Or is it that you don’t care about her life? Then why are you even here?”

“You are really stupid, are you? I already said that I came to save them.” After hearing my words, his face turns red, but before he can do anything else, I take a deep breath, still holding eye contact with him and order him, “now, drop your weapon and come here!”

Surprisingly, he does exactly what I tell him. Well, it’s Rika and Thalia who are surprised. Rika gasps while Thalia just tenses up.

When he arrives in front of me, I grab him as he regains his consciousness, because my Charm lost its effect.

“What!?” He shouts and tries to jump away from me, but I keep him in place as my Charm skill is more effective the closer I am to the target.

“Now listen! You are going to the closest guard station and confess all your crimes to the person with the highest authority present. You tell them everything, including where they can find irrefutable evidence for your crimes. But don’t mention anything about me or my companions.”

When I let him go, he immediately leaves the room and goes to the guard station.

“I am sorry I am so late.”

I turn to Rika and Thalia just to see them trembling. They tense up when I get closer, so I tell them, “don’t worry. I am just going to remove these ropes.”

After untying them, Rika was the first one to regain her composure.

“What did you do to him? What are you?” she asks me with fear in her voice.

I take a deep breath. I knew this could happen.

“This was one of my abilities.” I pause for a moment before I continue. “I really hate using it, and I don’t know why I got these abilities. I don’t know the meaning of all this. This was actually the second time I had to use this ability. The first time was when I bought Thalia during the black market auction. I used the ability to make that noble stop bidding.”

Thalias mouth falls open. “So, that’s why…” she whispers, barely audible. Seems like she remembers what happened.

“Do you remember I told you I want to research something? It’s actually about my abilities. I want to know what I am and why I have these abilities.” I feel like it’s too early to tell them I am not human. Especially in a situation like this.

“Then you didn’t use this ability on us, did you?” Rika asks me, and Thalia also watches me, waiting for an answer. I expected that question. That would obviously ones first thought after seeing such an ability.

“No, I didn’t. This ability only has a temporary effect. That’s why I included the clause that he has to tell them, where they can find irrefutable evidence. Because he’ll try to deny everything as soon as the effect wears off. Do you remember a situation where you blacked out or did something that you normally wouldn’t do since you met me?”

They both get quiet, probably thinking about the stuff that had happened since they met me.

“Should we return to the inn? I’d like to leave before any guards come to check this place. Because of my abilities, I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention. I’d also like to ask you to not tell anyone about it.”

They don’t answer, but they get moving, and we walk back to the inn.

They both stay quiet on our way back. Even when I ask them if they would like to share the double room tonight and if I should take the single room, they stay quiet. Only Rika answers with a nod.

At that, I also fall silent.

It really seems like I scared them away. Well, of course something like that would happen, when I use my abilities when other people can see it. I just hope that they don’t tell anyone. I’d hate it if I have to flee the country and I don’t know what would happen to my adventurer registration. Would they issue a bounty for me?

I really have no idea. But I am glad that nothing happened to Rika and Thalia. If you ask me if I would act differently, if I have the chance to go back, I would definitely say no. Even if it comes to the point where they ask to leave, I wouldn’t regret it.

My only regret is that I didn’t act earlier, just because I was too scared of my abilities. Because that’s the reason that viscount was able to abduct them in the first place.

We arrive at our rooms, and I immediately fall into my bed. I can hear Rika and Thalia start talking in their room, but I am so exhausted that I fall asleep immediately.

When I wake the next morning, because the sunlight shines into my room, I remember what happened last night. And I wonder what will happen from now on.

I keep lying in my bed and wonder what Rika and Thalia are doing. I can sense that they are already awake, but I focus on not listening, what they are talking about. Although I am curious, I want to respect their privacy. Well, maybe I am just too scared to listen. I’m not really sure myself.

But before I can think about what to do, I sense Rika leaving the room and comes here. Just a moment later, I hear her knocking. “Benji, are you awake?”

“Yes, the door is open.”

Hearing my answer, Rika opens the door and I get out of the bed.

“Good morning… um… can you come to our room? We’d like to talk to you,” Rika asks, fidgeting.

6