41 – A Hint?
1.2k 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Hey,

Since I missed some chapter releases, I decided to put up a note here.

I am not abandoning the story, don’t worry. I just struggle a bit with planning the next story arc.

And it doesn’t help that I got a bit addicted to Elden Ring 😵‍💫

So give me another week or two. I should be able to finalize the planning until then =P

 

Today is one of our free days, and we are at the library.

Rika reads, as usual, some hero stories, but I am together with Thalia discussing some magic books, for a change of pace.

“There is one thing I don’t understand. Who came up with all the spells and how are they created?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it doesn’t feel like there are specific requirements for a spell. All you need to do is imagine what you want to cast and then release the spell, right?”

“Yes?”

“Then shouldn’t it be possible to modify spells or even create completely new spells based on the image of the spell? For example, if I want to cast an Ice Arrow, but I change the image from an arrow to a speer or something like that, then I just have to imagine throwing a speer instead of an arrow, right?”

“Ah, that’s what you mean. Yeah, that’s possible, but it’s actually a high-level technique and quite hard to cast magic like that.”

“Oh, but why? I don’t really see where it differs from casting existing spells, if you have to create an image of the spell, anyway.”

“For one, creating the image for a spell is the tough part of casting magic. Most beginners fail to cast magic, because their image is not clear enough. And even if you’re able to use this technique, it will be way slower to cast because it takes practice to manifest the image of the spell.”

“Is that how it is? For me, the image was actually the easier part.”

“Huh!?” Thalia tilts her head.

When I remember how I tried to learn magic, then channeling my magic energy was more difficult. So I can understand her being confused. Is this because I am from a different world? But if that’s true, I understand why they consider it a high-level technique.

“So, they came up with these standard spells to make it easier for people to learn these spells. If someone wants to create new spells instead, they have to invest a lot more time or they have to be a more talented magician to come up with new spells.”

“That’s right.”

“I wonder if I can come up with modified or improvised spells. I guess I have to experiment a bit. Maybe I can…”

“Hey, you have to see this!”

Before I even can come up with new spell ideas, Rika interrupts us. She runs towards us, waving the book in her hands. I can’t read her expression. The only thing I know is that something is bothering her.

“What is it? Is something bothering you?”

She takes a deep breath before answering.

“I am not exactly sure, but I think I found something important. Read this before I say anything. I want to know if you have the same thought after reading this without me telling what I think. I don’t want to bias you.”

With that, she opens the page she is talking about and presents the book to me and Thalia.

It was more than a thousand years ago. At that time, the world was almost destroyed by just one person.
They called him the Demon King.

He conquered almost the entire world, and most countries were already gone.

Everyone who tried to face him faltered in fear when he spoke. And most of them were killed by his inhuman strength.
But not the most powerful warriors. They survived. At least if you want to call it like that.

These powerful warriors got corrupted by his voice and they joined the Demon King’s Army. Soon after the first corrupted warriors, there were talks about his Silver Tongue. It didn’t matter if they fought for fame or to protect their loved ones. Nobody could resist him.

Humankind was almost lost when the hero appeared.
He was the only one who was able to resist him.
He was the only one who was able to fight him.
He was the only one who was able to defeat him.
But after his victory, he disappeared.

Afterwards, humankind worked hard to rebuild their civilization. New countries were founded and over time, humankind forgot about the Demon King.

Only my clan remembered. It is our duty to make sure that the history will not repeat itself.

“I don’t get it…”

When Thalia said this, Rika’s expression seemed to relax a bit, but I didn’t notice. I was too deeply lost in my thoughts. What makes Rika think this is important? Because I don’t get it, either.

But something about this story is bothering me, although I can’t put my finger on it.

First, it is not really clear if this story is true or whether it is fiction. Rika had to have found this in the legend area. But I am biased to think that the story is true.

Until now, I read a lot of history books, and I already wondered why there are no history books going back for more than a thousand years. And a war on this scale would explain why that part of the history got lost.

With that thought, I take another look at the story. What is it that bothers me about that story?

My eyes fell on one part of the story, and before I realized it, I am squinting my eyes. Then I broke out in a cold sweat. “Don’t tell me…”

“Benji, are you alright? You look quite pale. Did you figure out what Sis meant?” Rika asked me in a worried tone.

I wasn’t able to answer immediately. I just stared at it for a minute. “Rika, do you think…?”

I couldn’t finish my question, but it wasn’t necessary, because Rika understood I figured it out.

“Well, I am not sure, but I guess there is a chance it’s exactly that. But the only way to be sure would be to find that clan and talk to them.”

Well, that’s true. There is no way we can be sure from just that. But I am not so sure about searching for that clan. They might have the answers, but what if they try to kill me immediately, without even listening?

“True. I don’t think I want to talk to them, but I want at least to keep an eye open for them, just to be more careful.”

“I see. They might be dangerous, yes.”

“Huh!? I still don’t get it. Can someone explain what is going on?”

Rika and I look at each other for a moment, but then I start to explain.

“It’s about the so called ‘Silver Tongue’ of the demon king.”

“What about it?”

“What if that is not just his way of speaking, but an actual skill? Just with a different name?”

At that, she thought for a moment, but then she widened her eyes and stared at me.

She also understood now what we were talking about. It really sounds like a more powerful version of my charm ability.

“Thank you for showing me, Rika. I do not know if this is actually like we think it is. But with this, I finally have a hint about my abilities.” Yes, even if I don’t like the direction of this information. I think for a moment, but then I add, laughing. “And I promise both of you I won’t use my abilities for something like this.”

I will only use my abilities to keep us safe.

5