Ch. 8
71 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      I quickly found an open seat before sitting down and waiting for class to start. The class was already pretty filled with students. As the minutes ticked by, more and more students walked into the classroom, and eventually, students filled all the seats. Finally, the bell sounded, and a grown-up walked inside with a briefcase in hand.

      The person had short-cut, dirty blond pushed-back hair and wore a yellowish-white suit. He walked towards the podium in front of the classroom and retrieved a pair of glasses from his breast pocket.

      Everyone was silent at this point, and the only sound that one could hear was the clicking noises from the person, who is presumably our teacher, unlocking the briefcase he brought with him. From his briefcase, the man retrieved a clipboard and finally spoke.

      "Adam Scottified?" the man said in a monotone voice.

      "Here!" A student on the other side of the classroom loudly replied as he stood up from his seat. The man then crossed something out before calling out another name.

      "Emily Smith?"

      "Here!" A girl behind me responded.

      The roll call continued for a while and only stopped after a total of twenty names were called.

      "Good. No one is missing," the man continued with his detached tone.

      "Hello students, I am your homeroom teacher, Jackson Holloway. You all may refer to me as Teacher Holloway. Let us commence class."

      Except for me, all the students had beaming expressions plastered onto their faces. I stayed stoic.

      Mr. Holloway then declared with his deadpan voice, "First order of business, introduce yourselves. Tell the class your name, what you like to do, and a brief explanation of your quirk. We'll start with the front row."

      The student in the very front then started introducing himself.

      "Hello, I am John Ray. I like watching action films. My quirk allows me to turn any part of my body into a sharp object," After introducing himself, John sat down.

      "My name is Kailey Garcia. I like to make desserts. I can phase through objects."

      "I'm Stan Wilkins. I like to work out in the gym. I pretty much have temporary super strength."

      "My name is George Stein. I like watching pet videos. I have telepathy."

      "I am Simon Boone. I enjoy painting. I can turn my paintings into actual items."

      Immediately after Simon announced his quirk ability, everyone started chattering in awe. After all, the ability to turn all his paintings into genuine items sounds very strong. But that makes me question why Simon is in B-class then. There must be a significant weakness to his ability to be sorted into B-class and not A-class.

      Eventually, it was my turn to introduce myself. "My name is Patton Washington. I like reading. I can see the temperature of all objects," I announced in a calm and collected manner. And, as I had expected, my power didn't exactly impress anybody. Instead, the rest of the class was now wondering how I managed to enroll into a hero academy with an ability as impractical as mine. Though, their scorn towards me did not bother me in the slightest.

      After everyone finished introducing themselves, Teacher Holloway declared, "Well, class, our first lesson today will be a test. Follow me outside to the track." The students proceeded to whine and complain about having to do a test as their first activity.

      A few minutes later and the entire class was standing on the field. After waiting for the class to quiet down, Mr. Holloway announced, "You all have already completed the entrance tests for you to be here. I have access to those records, so I won't be testing your physical capabilities again. The test is simple. Your entire class must work together to take me down. You have ten minutes to prepare a strategy."

      Everyone, including myself, was not expecting a test of this kind.

      "Teacher, you must be joking, right? There's no way you can beat all twenty of us," one of my classmates asked.

      Teacher Holloway simply glanced at the boy, then added, "If you all, as a class, can beat me, I won't assign your class homework for the next month. However, if you lose, you'll have detention for a week. Understand?"

      Hearing this, many of my classmates started to get excited. However, I knew it wouldn't be as easy as they were expecting it to be. By virtue of Teacher Holloway's confidence and being a teacher here at a hero academy, he couldn't be a simple character. For the next ten minutes, my classmates made no plans. They only chattered between themselves.

      "Alright, your time is up. The test starts now," Teacher Holloway announced emotionlessly.

      The first one to attack Teacher Holloway was the student who had asked whether this test was a joke. He quickly approached Teacher Holloway before swinging at him. To everyone's amazement, except me, before the student's attack could even land, he was blown away by Teacher Holloway's kick to his gut. That student was now retired from the fight.

      "One down, nineteen more to go," Teacher Holloway said aloud.

      Teacher Holloway's quick takedown of the student reminded the rest of the class that although it may be a one versus twenty situation, Teacher Holloway is still a teacher of a hero academy and, therefore, cannot be underestimated.

      Suddenly, I heard a voice in my head, "Don't be alarmed, this is George Stein speaking. I'm communicating with all of you through telepathy. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather have a month of no homework than a week of detention. So, let's start taking this seriously, yeh? Since John and Stan both have physical abilities, the two of you should pressure the teacher together while the rest of us support from behind. How about that?"

      After the telepathic message, Stan and John looked at each other and nodded. The two of them then approached Teacher Holloway at the same time.

      However, it became apparent that not only was the teamwork between John and Stan lacking but that they were also entirely outclassed by Teacher Holloway in terms of experience. Teacher Holloway dispatched both of them before the rest of us could do anything to support neither John nor Stan. The two of them were now lying on the ground, unable to continue fighting.

      "This is starting to bore me. I'll switch to the offensive then," Teacher Holloway said.

      With that, like a wolf among sheep, Teacher Holloway started knocking out students left and right until the only two students left were Simon and me.

      Teacher Holloway then turned towards the two of us and asked, "Why didn't the two of you help at all?"

      I replied, "Didn't make sense to. You know all about my abilities, yet I know nothing of yours. I stayed back to get a better idea of what I'm going against."

"So, you're saying you would abandon your teammates against an enemy you are not familiar with?"

      "No. I would learn as much about the enemy as possible in a real situation before engaging them. After all, information is half the battle. Is it not?"

      "Hmm, ok. I accept your reasoning. What about you, Simon."

      "I uh-uh-uh-uh can't fight…."

      "What do you mean you can't fight. You have your hands and feet, do you not?"

      "B-b-b-but I don't have my paintings…."

      Oh, so this Simon kid is not only notably timid at the sound of it but also completely useless without his paintings. That partially explains why he isn't in the A-class, but there still has got to be more to it than just that. 

      Tired of the ongoing conversation, I decided to get this over with and approached Teacher Holloway.

      "Hmmm? What are you doing, Patton?"

      "Picking a fight against you."

      "I thought you wouldn't fight someone whose scope of ability you do not know."

      "Yes. But I understand that you can't always wait for a perfect plan in life. As someone famous once said, 'A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.'"

      "I like that quote. Who is it from."

      "You wouldn't know. But I do know that I won't be able to beat you, but I'm going to be the hardest one for you to take down in this class."

      "Those are bold words, young man."

      "I have the skills to back it."

      "I'd like to see it."

      "And show it to you, I will."

      At this point, the distance between Teacher Holloway and me was only an arm's reach. I then proceeded to jab towards Teacher Holloway. Teacher Holloway easily dodged my jab, but my other fist was already heading in his direction. Thud. I successfully punched Teacher Holloway. I knew it didn't inflict significant damage on Teacher Holloway, but I had already proved my statement. I was the only one so far to have been able to cause any sort of damage to the teacher.

      "Boxing, I take it?" Teacher Holloway asked as he brushed the dust off his suit.

      "Yes," I replied.

      "The name of my quirk is two-seven split. I can divide my opponent into ten equally long sections using my quirk. Suppose I hit either section two or seven. In that case, my hit becomes a critical hit, allowing me to deal multiple times the damage I would have dealt otherwise," Teacher Holloway explained monotony.

      "Why are you telling me this?"

      "Because I'm going to use my quirk on you."

      "Should I be feeling honored?"

      "Depends on your perspective."

      "I see," I stated before settling into my boxing stance.

      "Here I come," Teacher Holloway said as he formed a blade with his hand and used the other to push up his glasses."

      Teacher Holloway then dashed towards me and easily side-stepped away from my punch before chopping my waist with his hand. It felt as if a train had crashed into me, as the pain from Teacher Holloway's chop blew my consciousness away as I collapsed onto the ground.

      Standing over my unconscious body, Teacher Holloway muttered to himself, "Patton Washington, was it? I look forward to what you'll accomplish in the future," all the while a slight grin appeared on his face.

0