Chapter 2: I Will Do As You Say
121 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: I Will Do As You Say
Shen disapproved of her meeting with Thresh. Still, when Akali had a will, she had a way, and she wanted this, even it was with someone as capricious as Thresh. Shen scolded her for being reckless, or not thinking things through, but she knew Thresh’s whims were his own. She thought things through, too.

To be honest, the Shadow Isles raised goosebumps on her arms and shoulders. The possibility of being jumped by more than Thresh and his Shadow Isles companions sent an involuntary shiver at the base of her neck, threatening to creep down her spine. But for some reason, Akali reveled in the danger. She loved the thrill of battle and perilous missions.

Lately, she suffered from boredom. She didn’t partake in any recent matches, and her kamas thirsted for someone’s blood. Not that Akali particularly relished killing for the sake of killing, but she more liked the indulgence of adrenaline and risking her life in a desperate situation, which took all her wits and ingenuity to survive.

Tonight was a gamble. The dice rolled into play, didn’t they? Akali debated telling Shen what her true intentions were. Something about Shen told her he hid something from her—even though they were lovers, Shen knew something he concealed from Akali, and Akali sought those answers.

“Akali,” Shen walked behind her.

She sensed his gaze boring into her.

“You’re not happy with me,” Akali stated.

This was a fact. She knew it.

“You know that what you did was reckless,” Shen said in disapproval. “And even though Thresh is a fellow champion, I have to caution that you be wary of him.”

“He’s the source I need,” Akali clasped his larger hands with her own. “Please believe in me, Shen. I told Thresh that I trusted you with my life. I would like you to embark that same trust into me.”

Shen facial features remained impassive, though his gaze softened. He squeezed her hands gently. She led him to the bedroom, where they secretly nuzzled and kissed and made love to one another in these quarters; their little secret hideout where they avoided the lingering gazes of champions who might question their relationship and appearances. Shen, the Eye of Twilight, was supposed to be impartial and unswayed by emotions. He remained steadfast in his devotion to being the Eye of Twilight, but his feelings for Akali were true. Akali knew this. They would always fight together on Summoner’s Rift and Shen saved her from many scary situations by ulting her at the right moment, teleporting by her side, and rushing the enemies to attack him instead when she was low on health. She was always grateful when he did so.

The other Champions suspected Shen and Akali were together, though the pair kept their relationship discreet. Ninjas, after all, excelled in concealment and keeping secrets. Yet Thresh seemed to know more than he should. Her eyes narrowed. Could it be he understood and observed more than she gave him credit for? Were they indiscreet at any point where someone watched through the shadows? It was possible. Or did someone…simply tell Thresh or voice their suspicions, and he simply confirmed it for himself?

Shen took off his mask, revealing white hair and golden eyes that seemed to penetrate through her, along with a youthful-looking face. She loved Shen, especially when he took his mask off around her and she could see his handsome visage imprinted in her view. Strong, sturdy, and reliable. She feared nothing when Shen was with her.

They cuddled and kissed on the bed. No lovemaking this time, as Akali sensed Shen seemed tense from what happened. In fact, he pestered her again about it.

“Must you really go to him?” Shen twined his fingers through her long hair. “He is a madman. He is not one to be negotiated with.”

Akali stopped for a moment. “I do what I must. This is very important to me, Shen…I know you’re worried about me, but…”

She hesitated. Why did she feel compelled to go to Thresh? Because she heard silly rumors from the other champions that you can talk to any soul within his lantern for a certain price? Was she really that stubborn and foolhardy to go through whatever Thresh wished, just to speak with her mother again?

But there were so many answers left unsaid, Akali thought to herself. So many questions that only she can answer.

Shen watched her facial expressions carefully. Akali admired how his face remained stoic even in the most troubling circumstances. A slight furrow in his brows and concern shone in his eyes made Akali pause. Was what she did really that big of a deal? Didn’t he trust her? Perhaps Akali didn’t earn it yet. She understood why Shen kept secrets. It was his position as the Eye of Twilight, after all. He couldn’t be swayed and tormented by emotion or that would unravel everything the Kinkou worked for.

“But you feel that it is worth sacrificing more than just your soul to get the answers you seek,” Shen said.

Akali kissed him on the lips, not to silence him, but bring ease to his heart.

“Shen, you’re getting awfully emotional about this,” Akali teased a smile on her lips. “Isn’t the Eye of Twilight supposed to be impartial to all matters?”

“Akali…” Shen gave her a rather stern look that meant he didn’t prefer to be crossed today. “You know why I’m concerned about this matter.”

“I know. I’m sorry that I have to put you through such pain, but…” Akali looked down at the floor. “I haven’t spoken with her for such a long time. And the last time I did…I defied her will.”

“I understand certain matters being unresolved makes you feel…uncomfortable, restless, but I don’t believe it’s very prudent for you to ask Thresh to see your mother’s soul.”

Akali did know Shen had a point. Thresh could possibly lift the bar higher and higher for her gathering his souls. In fact, Akali wondered how to acquire those souls. Would Thresh hand her a special container for the souls she would capture? She meet him again to ask him but thought better of it. She couldn’t see soul Auras, and she couldn’t keep the Champion’s souls or get them off the battlefield. But she could take the souls of Noxians. Akali decided she would go to Noxus and slay the wicked and corrupt within there to test her blades.

“I can’t have it weighing on my mind,” Akali said softly. “If I have this weighing on my mind every time I’m fighting in the League, it’s going to eventually get me killed. I can’t have that happen. I need this, Shen. Please.”

“Must you really stain your hands for his own dark purposes?”

“Please Shen…I’m the Pruning of the Tree. When I took this responsibility, I knew what it was that I must do.”

Shen said nothing. She sensed his lingering disapproval.

“I wish you would rethink your decision,” Shen said. “Though if that’s what you truly desire, then I suppose that there’s no stopping you.

--x--

Akali took off that night. She would retrieve those hundred souls like she claimed. She was very good at killing people and making it look like an accident. She didn’t do it with poison—sometimes she would approach her targets in disguise, befriending them, even, before becoming their judge, jury, and executioner. Her final kill tonight was a man who did unspeakable things to women—things that made Akali’s toes curl in disgust and hate. She thought she would lure this easy target out by pretending to be weak and vulnerable. She brushed against him in a crowd after observing him, breathing boozily in his face she needed help finding keys to her compartment. In her disguise, he didn’t recognize her as a Champion. Akali knew with her attractive features, she could lure any man she wanted.

“Hehe, look at you, little minx,” the man said.

The booze she offered made him sloppier. Less suspecting. Akali made sure no one saw or heard her in this exchange. She lured him to an alleyway with darkened shadows to conceal her dirty deed. It thrilled her, to traverse enemy territory and risk her life with a lowlife who no doubt wanted to forcefully take her and then murder her afterward. But tonight, the tables would turn. Akali would end this man’s miserable life and bring his soul as a tribute to Thresh. Surely the madman specter did far worse in his human life, or so the rumors said, though no one argued with an entity that transcended life and death somehow, right?

Did Thresh also consider himself an arbiter of souls? Where did she rank if she died and joined the souls in his lantern? Her soul wasn’t pure, she knew. An assassin’s soul bore many bloodstains and sins, as the Pruning of the Tree. Her resolve hardened when her Mother said she didn’t want this life for Akali, even though Akali showed a penchant and talent for it. She disapproved of her relationship with Shen, because he led her towards the Path of the Pruning of the Tree.

And then…her mother…was killed.

Akali knew it wasn’t an accident. They never found the body, but Akali knew better than to hope her mother still lived.

I’m doing this for her.

Then the man attempted to grope her breast.

She broke his wrist, twisted his arm behind his back, breaking his arm before making quick work his neck, snapping it. Once the deed was done, she harvested the last soul she needed for Thresh. Her work was finally done. Now. Now Thresh would provide the answer that she sought. She would see her mother again. That is, if Thresh didn’t arbitrarily change the rules.

Well, she would find out soon enough, won’t she?

—x--

As expected, the Fist of Shadow arrived once more into his realm. She was as good as her word, though Thresh believed the Fist of Shadow refused to shatter her pride by declining a challenge, even from someone of dubious reputation as himself. It was well known amongst the League Thresh was a complete and utter madman who went by his own whims and rules. A capricious creature of change, who could shift from one mood to another, or tauntingly give his victims a last-minute hope, perhaps, before he changed his mind and slaughtered them anyway. But Akali, this one was special. How long would the Fist of Shadow endure his ‘program’?

“I’ve harvested your souls, just as you asked,” Akali took off her mask and licked her lips in anticipation.

Thresh could see the eager light in her eyes, of wanting to speak with her mother, who died at a very young age. How unfortunate.

“Yes you did,” Thresh replied. “I’m actually impressed by your handiwork. Though did you think I would just have you stop here? No, there are more things that I require of you.”

Akali started to protest against this, though Thresh merely put a gauntleted finger against her lips. “Ssh. You’re in my territory now. These are where my rules and conditions are laid.”

Thresh absorbed the souls Akali gathered into his lantern, relishing the delightful screams that came from the tormented. Ah yes, these souls would do, they would do well in sustaining him. The wonderful thing about his lantern is the souls were all confined into one space. Which meant the soul trapped within heard the thoughts of everyone and their own thoughts could be heard as well. No escaping your sins there, which Thresh delighted in.

“Now,” Thresh turned to look at Akali. “If you wish to see a glimpse of your mother, I would like for you to do another important task for me.”

Akali’s face suddenly turned into its usual stony façade. “What do you want?”

“I want you to continue gathering souls for me,” Thresh said.”I believe that our goals are aligned in this matter. You wish to get revenge against Zed, yes?”

“After all that he’s done…” Akali clenched her hands into fists. “But why should I require your assistance to get revenge against Zed? It’s not like we can permanently kill anyone as long as the Summoners are around. As much as I’d like to get my hands around his neck and strangle him, I…”

Akali’s gaze dropped. The momentary bloodlust that flared up within her soul disappeared as soon as it came. Though oh, it was still there, and Thresh thrived on it. Violence and catastrophe were Thresh’s bread and butter, of course, if he required such sustenance in the first place. He was a specter, after all.

“I will do as you say,” Akali then vanished into the night.

Thresh would’ve grinned if his visage allowed him to do so. He had her hook, line, and sinker.

1