Chapter 1: The Making Of A Legend – Satoshi Hiroyuki!
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Onmyouji Eclipse
Chapter 1: The Making Of A Legend - Satoshi Hiroyuki!
I
Satoshi held his breath as long as he could. The flame burned intently, not wavering and spreading from the wick to the candle. Yet Satoshi couldn’t be satisfied with this. It took all his concentration to keep the flame from melting the wax. He sensed the Elders watching him, testing his talent in Onmyoujutsu.

So far, he has shown an affinity toward Fire Magic. They wanted him to practice this candle exercise to control the most destructive of Elemental arts.

The young Onmyouji practitioner puffed his cheeks. This was boring! Surely he was meant for better training than this! It was undignified that he, a year older than the rest of his peers, was stuck doing these trainee exercises instead of bending and manipulating Fire. Kohryu Hiroyuki’s blood flowed in his veins, the legendary Onmyouji himself!

Fundamentals were important, yes, but why was he stuck with these exercises?

The flame started to flare and melt the candle faster than he would’ve liked.

“Focus, Satoshi,” one of the Elders said, manipulating his chakra to smooth the excess flame into a perfect pinprick of light. “Fundamentals are important! Have you forgotten your training?”

Satoshi bit back a sharp answer. His mother taught him to be polite and kind. He wanted to uphold this noble principle in his mind and heart, but knowing he did something he could already accomplish vexed him. He held his mother’s words to heart, he obeyed her teachings, and he should respect the Elders that allowed one to graduate into an official Onmyouji of the Court of the Emperor.

Though for some reason, he has not graduated even into the robes of an Onmyouji. He might even be demoted to an acolyte, if he stuck around this one particular Elder that placed impossible expectations on him. Tending to boring tasks such as bookkeeping and scroll work and dusting off artifacts gathered from buried sites around the world.

“I have not forgotten, Elder,” Satoshi said in a mild tone. “However, surely I can move on to more advanced techniques after I’ve proved myself?”

The Elder didn’t look impressed.

“Do you need to take back the regalia that your mother wove for you and wear the robes of an acolyte?”

Satoshi bit back a retort. They would chide him more if he said doing this stuff was boring and therefore he had no interest in perfecting something other Onmyouji could do when younger than he was. It seemed to make no sense to not allow him to progress further when he’s already proved he could do these exercises before. Why let him stay back and repeat them again?

Currently seven years of age, Satoshi learned things quickly with an aptitude and efficiency that some would call prodigal.

In truth, Satoshi committed things to muscle memory by practicing them with refinement and technique.

The young Onmyouji practitioner thought about his shikigami summoning ritual and smiled a little at that. His father summoned twelve shikigami at a time and tamed more to be used at his disposal.

In his anger, he stirred the wind from outside to batter against the windows. It was perfectly sunny and normal outside with no signs of breeze anywhere. The unnatural breeze that swept through the room like a prowling wolf snuffed out the candle flame, The Elders blinked in bewilderment as Satoshi let out a proud smile.

“Was he the cause of that unnatural Wind?” one of the elders said hesitantly. “If so, then that means…”

“I know very well what it means,” another Elder said, before taking on a stern expression towards Satoshi. “Still, all the more reason that he completes these basic exercises first and shows interest in completing them precisely as instructed.”

Satoshi materialized the cup of water one of the Elders kept on the table while testing Onmyouji students. He dumped the water within the cup onto one unsuspecting Elder’s head. The one Elder blinked in surprise, and Satoshi stifled a snicker that threatened to erupt from his lips.

This kind of boyish mischief was something that he could get into, and even if he were the son of the proud and noble and dignified Kohryu Hiroyuki, he was certain his father would’ve laughed at his antics.

Finally, for his final prank, he played back the water dripped on the Elder’s head and back into the cup again. This wasn’t using Water Manipulation, but instead Space/Time Dimension Warping—and he knew the other Elders sensed this.

Then to add insult to the injury, Satoshi caused a small quake in the learning house’s structure to take the foundations. One Elder’s spectacles knocked askew during this.
However, the stern Elder—the one he couldn’t quite get along with—wasn’t impressed.

“Yes, Satoshi, you’ve proved that you can manipulate all five elements,” the Elder said. “That doesn’t mean you should skip practice and fundamentals.”

Satoshi bit his lip again.

Remember to be kind and respect your Elders, his mother would say. Be kind to everyone, no matter how difficult they may be. Respect elders your younger brothers and sisters and all the creatures of the earth.

“Why?” Satoshi bit out with a bit of resentment in his voice.

“You could’ve gone onto the next grade of Onmyouji trainees, though do you understand why you’re still an acolyte?”

Satoshi frowned, keeping his mouth shut. Hopefully, the Elder would supply the answer he sorely wanted to know. Why was he held back when he clearly had talents and strengths that were better than other Onmyouji years ahead of him?

“It’s because you lack patience,” the Elder supplied.

Satoshi wanted to say, I think you lack sense, Elder, with all due respect, but ventured to say “Why hold me back when it’s clear that I’ve demonstrated more power and skill than the other Onmyouji students? I’m seven years old! I’m sure if I could train and learn more spells and techniques, I would become as powerful and great as my father!”

The Elder frowned at Satoshi, as though sensing his unkind thought. Satoshi turned his gaze away.

“In fact,” Satoshi said in a hushed whisper. “I can summon a shikigami if I want to!”

“Don’t be arrogant,” the Elder said with crossed arms. “Do you need to be humbled by your maser so that you can show some humility? Everyone goes through this training session. Even the likes of prodigies like Kohryu Hiroyuki.”

Satoshi sobered up a bit, before saying. “I want to be like Father. I don’t see how sticking me with basic training exercises is nurturing me to my full potential.”

“Prodigy Kohryu Hiroyuki may be,” the Elder consented. “But he is also dead. Don’t you understand that, boy? He was brilliant, but he burned out at both ends and is ultimately gone.”

Satoshi remained silent, before clenching his hands into fists. His father was gone on a journey and didn’t come back—not so much as a letter or a word about his whereabouts. Though Satoshi believed—he knew—that his father was out there somewhere.

The Elders simply proclaimed Kohryu dead because they gave up on searching for him or finding out where he could possibly be. His father, a legend! A great Onmyouji that defied death three times! Surely a fourth time would be in the making?

Yet somehow, deep in his heart of hearts, Satoshi also knew—that no one lived forever. Not even a legendary Onmyouji like his father.

Satoshi blinked back tears.

Another Elder, looking concerned, said, “Perhaps we should let him skip a few grades…”
The stern Elder was resolute. “No.”

The Elder who stood up for him then said, “Perhaps let him pass this exercise? We now have confirmed that he can indeed manipulate all five Elements.”

The stern Elder furrowed his brow.

“That doesn’t matter.”

“Such an Onmyouji is rare, that can manipulate all five elements.”

“He is a mere child and advancing him to higher tiers could soil his temperament into arrogance.”

The other Elder held out his hands.

“Even fully trained adults can mostly manipulate two to three elements at most, and if pushing it, four. Five is only limited to a very few handful of individuals in the world.”

The stern Elder let out a sigh, before saying, “Pushing Kohryu too hard was probably our mistake. That is why we must keep a tighter reign on Satoshi.”

The Council of Elders debated amongst themselves, looking towards Satoshi who felt his cheeks burn that he was like a sideshow attraction or novelty to be discussed among elder men. Though these Council of Onmyouji were said to be the wisest of men and their judgment keen. If only Satoshi could persuade them that he was worthy…

“Please, Elders,” Satoshi said politely to the other Elders, hoping to appeal to them. “I’m not my Father. I won’t make the same mistake.”

“You’re not ready, Satoshi,” the stern Elder said as his brows furrowed towards him, the wrinkles on his face becoming more prominent. “Please don’t argue this further. I will allow there to be debate and discussion, though ultimately, I have the final say on things.”

Satoshi bit his lip, to keep respectful towards the Elders.

Remember to be kind and treat all living things with respect.

“Five elements is impressive,” a man in glasses said, adjusting it on the bridge of his knows. “In fact, I would take him as an understudy and coach him myself if he weren’t…so young.”

Satoshi was about to eagerly pounce on the chance to talk to this one Elder, though the stern Elder held up a hand which meant that all should be silent, before saying, “Yes, a good tutor is important, that is true. However, I feel that you and Satoshi-kun are not a right fit for one another, besides the fact he is too young for your teaching methods.”

The other cocked his head.

“Why is that?”

The stern Elder gave a solemn look, before saying, “You would teach him the wild ways of women and gambling in the pachinko parlor. I don’t think that Satoshi needs THAT kind of influence.”

“Are you saying that because I had some hand in Kohryu Hiroyuki’s teaching, that I spoiled him to flirt and chase after skirts? Pardon me. Haha. I guess I did have a hand in that.”

Another Elder raised his hand.

“I’m in agreement that Satoshi should be advanced. He’s proved he can do these techniques with finesse, though I also see the points and wisdom of what you’re saying, Elder. We defer to you to your advice and wisdom, though sometimes I think you need to be a little more flexible?”

“This isn’t about traditions and roles and politics within the clan,” the stern Elder said. “Though yes, I was hoping that Satoshi would one day inherit the position that I held in my stead one day. I have determined he’s not ready for this venture because he is young and still needs a lot of experience. He lived a rather lavish life under tutors and rich maids that tended to him. Do you think he would survive out on the battlefield where demons and human enemies lurk, or perhaps where dangerous Youkai prowl the landscape?”

The Elder who spoke up for Satoshi bowed his head.

Satoshi once more puffed out his cheeks in disapproval.

The stern Elder turned his back on everyone else.

“You are all dismissed.”

The elders stood up, and shuffled their feet out of the room. Some gave pitying glances towards Satoshi, as they probably thought that Satoshi had great potential. Satoshi kept his head bowed while everyone in the vicinity left, clenching his hands into fists.

He would become the strongest, no matter what! He was Satoshi Hiroyuki—not his father, Kohryu Hiroyuki? Why did they place such high expectations on him, yet they didn’t allow him to perform as he should? He didn’t want to be an acolyte forever, damn it!

Satoshi pounded his fist into the wooden floor.

II
Satoshi hurried after the Elder who told him he would not pass. He grabbed on his voluminous sleeve, a pout on his face, flaring his chakra.

“Why do I have to stay back another year?”

The Elder folded his hands primly. “I told you the reason why.”

“You say something about pushing Kohryu Hiroyuki too hard, but holding me back from things that would benefit me is going to stunt my growth! So tell me! Why are you trying to sabotage me?”

The Elder pinched the bridge of his nose, looking down upon Satoshi. He suddenly felt very small underneath his gaze. The Elder let out a rough harrumph in turn, though Satoshi still kept his fists clenched onto the sleeve of his robe.

“Well, Elder?” Satoshi said, impatient for an answer.

The Elder sighed.

“I didn’t want to say this within earshot of the others,” the Elder said. “I knew that you would confront me alone here. But my decision remains the same.”

“What do I have to do to prove my worth?” Satoshi said, a challenge in his eyes.
The Elder slipped his sleeve from Satoshi’s grasp, before saying, “Do you want to know the legends of Kohryu Hiroyuki? Why he’s a looming shadow that you should never chase after?”

“You don’t think I can do it,” Satoshi said.

The Elder sighed again.

“I’m just taking realistic consideration of the consequences,” the Elder said. “To be honest, Satoshi…your rate of growth is astonishing. In fact, it scares me that you’ve mastered so many elements at a young age.”

Satoshi looked towards the Elder in surprise. If he knew all this, why wouldn’t he…?

“You acknowledge that my growth,” Satoshi said, hoping to hear more of his reasoning why he still didn’t pass him.

“It is comparable to Kohryu’s, in fact. Though because of this talent that must be nurtured—do you understand why we try to protect you from the likes of demons and ghosts and Youkai that prowl the lands?”

“They’re dangerous, but I must learn how to fight!” Satoshi said, clenching his hands into fists. “If I don’t learn to defend myself from them, then I will probably burn out at both ends like Father—and…and…”

The Elder showed a moment of consideration for the young boy, kneeling down and grasping him in a hug. “Satoshi, do you understand why I’m so strict with you?”

Satoshi’s eyes widened when he found the Elder’s arms wrapped around him, though he said nothing. He held his breath, waiting to hear what the Elder had to say.

“Losing Kohryu was…” the Elder said with a sort of mist in his eyes, before he cleared his throat. “Was most regrettable.”

“I…” Satoshi said, finding that he lost his breath and the words he wanted to say. It welled up in chest, but they stayed trapped in his throat and he clenched his teeth as tears started to spill down his cheeks.

“Your Mother, Akiko, has indulged you. But when things like having great power over the five elements come to one gifted, this can lead to resentment and envy in others. There are those in the faction of the Hiroyuki clan that don’t wish for you to be the Heir.”

“I didn’t take my position for granted,” Satoshi said softly. “Or that I would get my father’s legacy so easily. But you know…I…I just wanted to become strong like father so I could protect my fellow clansmen!”

“There are others in line for the position,” The Elder said with a sigh. “We can’t show favoritism to you because you’re the son of Kohryu Hiroyuki.”

Satoshi, understanding this, nodded.

“I know. But I…got the impression that you didn’t like me, Elder…”

“To explain why I’m so worried, Kohryu, though a great man, was one many envied. And there are those in the lower branches that want to rise up and seize the glory and legacy that he left behind.”

Satoshi stared with wide eyes at the Elder’s words. It made sense to him, though it didn’t mean Satoshi had to like the reality of the situation. Yet there was no use complaining about what was.

“I want a shikigami,” Satoshi said forlornly. “I see my older brothers and sisters proudly bearing the spirit guardian that they have as their partners.”

The Elder, gentle now, said, “You will get one when the time is right, young one.”

“I also…want to go to the Mountain Range where candidates for shikigami dwell and capture one for my own use.”

“As long as your will and fortitude is stronger than the beast’s,” the Elder said. “You can make them into a guardian spirit, your shikigami.”

“So…” Satoshi said, becoming bright and eager eyed. “Do you think I could…?”

“With all due respect, I don’t think it wise that someone as young as you go to the Mountain range where these creatures dwell. Not without the proper training. Not without the fundamentals.”

Satoshi glanced away. Perhaps he would ask his mother about his father later on. And maybe she would tell him how to summon a shikigami like her white tiger, wouldn’t she? “If you want to prove your worth, you would withhold from summoning and taming a shikigami until you’re thirteen years old.”

Satoshi glanced down, biting his lip.

The Elder folded his sleeves together, before saying. “Do you understand why we have you train in the fundamentals, Satoshi?”

“They’re boring,” Satoshi said with a sulky face.

The Elder’s expression softened by the slightest bit, though the severity of his features indicated that he would not lax on his word. The Elder put one finger to his cheek, looking a little nervous, before he said, “I’ll..buy you some dango or something to eat. You actually did an impressive amount of work with manipulating the five elements. I think that should be rewarded, at the very least, even though you played a prank on us all.”

Satoshi looked eagerly towards the Elder, eyes shining. At first, he thought the Elder had an agenda against him and tried to sabotage him in his training and growth, though he found that as he got to know this Elder, he was an interesting man that only looked out to council those who would be the future head with wisdom and prosperity.

“It’s settled, then!” Satoshi said as he happily made his way out of the hallway and through the little village settlement where the Hiroyuki manor was situated. Satoshi hummed happily while they walked past the food stalls and vendors that lent their wares to the village, and the Elder paid some yen to a particularly prominent stall known for it’s especially savory and sweet dango. The young Onmyouji took the stick of dango and happily ate one sphere dripped in sauce, savoring the taste exploding on his tongue. Just as sweet as he imagined it would be!

“So sweet!” Satoshi exclaimed, and the Elder probably smiled that Satoshi was acting like the kid he knew him to be. “Hey, Mister, if you give me more dango, I think I will show you something even more cool. I’m going to summon a shikigami!”

“A shikigami isn’t summoned until you’re at least thirteen years of age,” the Elder said. “Though summoning a demon by accident is also very possible.”

“Summoning a demon?” Satoshi said thoughtfully, before the Elder shook his head.

“Never mind,” The Elder said. “Consider it the ramblings of a senile old man. Don’t pay any regard to my words, Satoshi.”

Satoshi decided to drop the subject, before he pointed towards the children wandering around the village. “Elder! If I summon a shikigami companion, will you pass me beyond acolyte?”

The Elder furrowed his brow. “I don’t think that you’re ready yet, Satoshi-kun. Making a contract with a certain animal spirit takes years of training and mental prowess. No matter how brilliant you may be, you’re still a child. Your mental fortitude is still that of a child’s, which is why the recommended age of summoning shikigami is thirteen.”

Satoshi puffed out his cheeks. “You’re not fun, Elder.”

The Elder patted Satoshi on the head, an exceedingly rare gesture of affection. “You don’t have to try so hard to prove your worth. Sometimes…it’s better to just be. You know what that means?”

Satoshi shook his head.

The Elder sighed. “It means that you don’t have to have a line of accomplishments by a certain age like Kohryu Hiroyuki. Sometimes it’s fine to just be a kid, rather than studying Onmyoujutsu and working so hard to become like your father. You are you, you know? I want to see Satoshi Hiroyuki in his training, not a body double of Kohryu Hiroyuki.”

Satoshi grinned. “You’re surprised that I was able to manipulate five elements at the age of seven, weren’t you, Elder?”

“It is quite an enviable achievement. But be careful of those who try to befriend you because of your skill and talent. Sometimes, it’s even possible that if you outshine the master, you would breed ill resentment instead.”

Satoshi looked thoughtful for a moment before he said. “I guess…I should be careful then.”

The Elder crinkled his eyes in affection. “I know you mean well well, Satoshi. But just allow yourself some time to grow up and experience the way life should be experienced. In perfect harmony and balance.”

Satoshi finished his dango before he discarded the stick where the sweet dumplings were staked. “I must go, Elder. Thank you for the dango!”

With that, he ran off towards his grand and resplendent manor that had several pavilions and koi ponds distributed across its yard. The Hiroyuki manor was the center of village life, and as a prominent family given prestigious esteem due to Kohryu Hiroyuki’s accomplishments, his mother, Satoshi, and his clan, could live rather comfortable lives.

It was a life of luxury that Satoshi grew accustomed to, and didn’t know much about the world beyond that. Though Satoshi hoped to one day become an Onmyouji like his father and maybe travel the world as his father had. He knew that the Elder told him that he should be himself and not follow in the shadow of Kohryu Hiroyuki’s legend, though Satoshi was determined to become like his father. And what better person to ask than his own mother?

1