Chapter 5: Never Give Up.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5. Never Give Up.
Something was bothering Faize. Lymle knew this. Most people viewed her as an innocent little child, with a mind that was regressed into a childhood-like state even though she was a teenager like the rest of them. Even if she couldn’t express herself verbally, she could think quite well, and would quietly observe while others would dismiss her as childish or completely naïve. She knew before anyone else that something was wrong with Faize. He tried his hardest not to show it to anyone, though Lymle became accustomed to his expressions, his demeanor, every little thing about him.

After the bunny girl’s death, Faize became…more distant. Lymle didn’t like the bunny girl’s attraction to Faize, nor Faize’s reciprocated gestures of affection, though she wouldn’t have wished death on anyone. Not on her love rival, nor on her worst enemy. He wore the cloak that she gave him and coveted selfishly. He wouldn’t let anyone else touch it, not even Lymle. Lymle tried her best to comfort Faize, though he pushed her away. She wanted to tell him that she loved him, that she was there for him. However, every time she tried, Faize would get a depressive gloom in his eye and continue stroking the cloak.

“You know, Lymle,” Faize said to her one day. Lymle listened. “It seems that whatever happiness I have is taken away.”

Lymle didn’t make her usual remark about Faize being dumb. This was a serious moment, and Faize was opening up to her, so she would listen as long as he needed her.

“I’ve…never been good with death,” Faize admitted to her. “I know that eventually, humans and creatures and plants will eventually die. That is the cycle of life that the Eldarians teach. One day, the suns around planets will explode and life will perish in that galaxy. Then what is left? Nothing.”

Lymle sat beside Faize and brushed her fingers against his. When he didn’t resist, she eventually held tight onto his hand, her face not revealing her emotion, though inside she was breaking apart at Faize’s emotional breakdown.

“I…I feel that I’m responsible somehow,” Faize said while biting his lip and holding down his head. He squeezed Lymle’s hand back. “If only…I could’ve saved her. She hadn’t needed to die such a senseless death. Sometimes, Lymle…I just feel like giving up. What use is it to continue on when my heart burdens me so?”

Lymle wanted to tell Faize that love wasn’t a burden. She knew that he loved the bunny girl, and jealously wished he directed his attention her way, though he didn’t seem to see her. So Lymle will be patient and be the best friend that she could be to him. She would comfort him. She would listen to his troubles. She would be there to pick up the pieces.

“Faize...”

He gazed in her direction, tears suddenly pricking the corners of his eyes.

“I want you to smile, ‘kay? I want Faize…to be happy. Seeing Faize like this…hurts more than a broken leg.”

Faize immediately blinked his tears away, before he simply cuddled against Lymle in an unrelenting hug. He held onto her as though he wouldn’t let go. Lymle returned the gesture, breathing in his scent, sharing his sorrow. She wanted to tell him to never give up, that there was hope, that he was there. But her stupid self couldn’t say them. She left those words unspoken, allowing him to reminisce and find closure for his emotions for the bunny girl. It hurt, but Lymle wasn’t selfish, as much as she wanted to be selfish. When the tears finally stopped, Faize straightened and unwrapped his arms from Lymle. His eyes were red and swollen, though Lymle thought that Faize always looked beautiful even in his grief.

“Lymle,” Faize said before he managed to smile a little. It was strained and looked like he was in pain, but at least he was trying to smile for her, at least, when she could not herself. “You’ve always been there. I know I’m being selfish, but I need you. I pushed you away all this time, wallowing in my own misery, thinking about myself, but you are feeling sorrow too, right?”

“It’s ‘kay,” Lymle said before she lolled her head against his chest and rested on the bench with him like a lover. “Sleep, Faize.”

“Yes…I think I shall,” Faize said softly before he planted a kiss on the top of her forehead and stroked her hair. They remained in that position for a while, taking comfort in each other’s presence, until they fell asleep. When Lymle woke up and Faize was s till sleeping, she saw a small smile on his face through his tears. There was hope after all, and she knew that Faize would eventually heal.

0