Two Moons
195 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hiding behind a huge rock was two youths. A boy standing still, his face having a look of surprise and a girl crouched down, her eyes having drops of tears in them.

'What is she doing here? ...Wait is she crying?'

I thought as sweat fell down on my face as I noticed that important detail, I frozed up, not knowing what to do in this awkward situation.

It also didn't help that Rea kept staring at me with an upward glance, her eyes filled with tears.

Both parties didn't move for a while, seemingly not knowing what to do.

Silence enveloped their space with only the sound of breaking rocks resounding from where Ben was training.

I took a second of reorganizing myself as I peeked from my hiding spot to check if Ben noticed us.

'He still hasn't noticed..'

I breathed a sigh of relief as I turned my eyes towards Rea.

I closed my eyes for a second, ruminating on what to do however I felt a tug at my shirt.

I looked down.

Rea was there, a sad look on her face as if she was holding herself back from saying something.

"...Forget that you saw me here ok..." Rea whispered

She slowly stood up, wiping away her tears and as she was about to leave I stopped her by holding her hand.

She halted as she looked at me with an astonished look.

I stared at her eyes as I spoke.

"..Hey how about we get some fresh air somewhere.." I whispered.

I playfully said, masking my anxiety from my line.

Those words came out of my mouth even though I hadn't planned to do so in the first place but when I saw her face I strongly felt that I needed to do something, anything.

I waited for her to say something back, hoping that I didn't mess up big time but as the seconds flew by I felt that I screwed it up.

"..Im sorr-"

Before I could apologize from stopping her abruptly, she gripped back my hold on her hand.

"..Ok.." she replied in a soft tone, a faint smile on her face.

I was caught off guard by her reply, not expecting that she would agree but I composed myself as I instantly thought of a place.

I strengthened my hold on her hand unconsciously as I led her out of that place, only her steps sounding out as mine was blank.

Hence they left their hiding spots.

Two youths strode along, the darkness hiding their connected hands.

----

"Phew~"

I plopped down on a stone pillar after I had climbed it. Rea was already there sitting, a few inches away from where I sat down.

"..This is a nice place.."

She murmured beside me as she traced the place with her eyes.

We were sitting at the edge.

From our vantage point, a circular formation formed where similarly long stone pillars were there.

The place that I had in mind was my training spot which was the only thing I could come up with at the time.

She had quickly climbed up using her arts after we had arrived while I had taken longer to do so.

I looked at her face, she seemingly had calmed down compared to before.

'Rea..don't tell me..' I mused, a suspicion of why she had broke down earlier sprouting within me.

"Yeah~ this is where I practice my ability"

"Your ability....it's ice right.."

"Yup"

"...."

She paused as she glanced at me with a serious look. I also looked at her eyes.

"Hey Colt...how's it going with your training lately?"

'..So that's why..' I thought, confirmation to my suspicions on what led us to this moment.

"Well it isn't tha-"

"Please answer me honestly"

She cut me off, her eyes staring at me as if probing me for my answer, my real answer.

I sighed.

"I can make new spells now, honestly I've recently found out the conditions how, so I'm still not there yet"

I glanced at her face, showing a smile, but it was her usual one this time.

"That's more like it, you're too early to hide things from me Colt" she chided, her finger pointed at my face

"Figured you would see through me in an instant though" 

"Glad you know" she smirked

"Yeah yeah~"

I shrugged, thinking it was futile to even fake it in front of my childhood friend.

She giggled as she heard my answer, proceeding to curl herself up.

She went quiet right after for a few minutes.

"I hate it" she said looking up.

I was quite surprised to hear the word 'hate' from her mouth but I still listened to her, not even thinking of interrupting one bit.

"I hate this place, Foleria, this kingdom, this forest"

"I hate those Gods that put us here"

"I hate that King for forcing us to become soldiers"

Her voice had gotten louder.

"I hate this whole stupid training regime"

"I hate how Mr. Nellie pretends to care for us"

"I hate that baldy for yelling at us all day long!"

"I hate getting beat up, being dead tired, and  the pain from using arts, it hurts! It really hurts!"

She was yelling out at this point but I was still listening intently.

"..I hate how that princess wants to get close to me.."

"..I hate how big brother ignores me..my pain..my suffering..it's like he doesn't care about me anymore.."

*Hick

She had started to sob, tears falling out of her eyes once again.

"...I hate..how you still seem fine about all this Colt.." she cried

My eyes widened at her remark, my throat seemingly getting blocked.

"...I hate that I can't...can't" She paused

"I can't tame a single beast..they won't listen..they don't want to link with me..." her tears dropped.

"Why?...You and big brother are getting stronger while I..I'm stuck"

"This training camp will end soon and I still can't do it...what can I do?"

"What should I do? If I can't fight, how can we win? If I stay like this, many people will die placing their hopes on us"

"I don't want to just be protected! I want to protect you, big brother, and....dad" she paused, as her brown hair slightly blocked her tear stained face.

"We need to fight and find a way back. I can't let him be all alone back at home...not after mom.." she looked up to me, her face showing a helpless look.

"Rea...I.."

'She's been thinking of uncle all this time. I can't blame her though, I also can't just get them out of my mind either' I thought, my eyes knit as I faced her.

"..Colt..please tell me..what should I do?" She inquired despite her sobs.

I sat there, having the most difficult time at looking straight at her eyes that was begging for my answer.

I gritted my teeth as I forced myself to reply even if I knew that it wasn't what she was looking for.

'I can't give you an answer but..'

"...I..I don't know. I'm sorry I just don't know.." I repeated.

"...." 

"....All I know is that you're stronger...and kinder than what you think you are.."

Her face turned into a frown, seemingly rejecting those words.

"...How-how can you be so sure!?..just l-look at me, didn't you hear what I said! I'm an awful person"

I gazed at her eyes, showing a resolute look. I spoke of the one thing I was sure about her.

"Because you saved me that day - because you became my friend that I know..that you aren't those things that you say you are.."

She stared at me, only silence invading the air.

After a while, a weak smile formed on her face even when tears rolled down her cheeks.

She then hung her head on my chest, her hand gripping my shoulders tightly.

"..Can I stay like this for a while?"

She asked as she stayed in that position.

"...Yeah. Its all that I can do anyway."

"..Idiot"

We stayed still, sharing each other's warmth. 

The wind blew strongly although It was unable to whisk away the tears staining my shirt.

-----

"I'm going to go. I don't want to embarrass myself anymore than I did"

Rea stood up. Her face and her usual self back to normal somewhat although her cheeks were a little flushed.

"Don't mind it"

I also stood up, not realizing how much time had passed. It felt like an hour or so even though it was just a few minutes.

She stayed quiet after we went down the pillar but as we were about to leave the area, she stopped in place.

"Hey Colt even though I said that I hated them, I'm glad that they were the ones we were stuck with you know" she turned to me.

"Maybe someday I can face them right?"

'Them..'

I didn't even need to think hard to know who she was referring to.

"I know"

She nodded at my reply.

"And..Im sorry I said those things about you" she apologetically said as she hung her head.

"No worries, I'm ok"

I waved my hands at her, dismissing her apology which I deemed as unnecessary.

She weakly smiled at me as she turned around once more. Her back facing me.

"One more thing. Thank you for being with me- with us up to now Colt"

"But-"

She then ran ahead not even intending to listen to me.

"No buts!"

She shouted as her figure disappeared in the distance.

I was left there, in awe of her abrupt ditching as I cynically smiled.

"I'm the one that's supposed to be saying that.."

I murmured, the darkness of the area enveloping myself as I walked ahead. The moons in the dark sky above showing only two celestial bodies that night.

10