Chapter 88 : Admission
169 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Audrey was confused by how confidently Avery uttered his statement, in a way that betrayed a great understanding and familiarity with the elusive Lord of Mysteries.

  “How do you know? And why are you so scared of him? Mister spirit, who are you, really?”

  “You really are letting your imagination run wild. I told you, I am just the spiritual remnant of a cultivator who no longer exists in this world. Don’t worry about my past, it won't bring you any troubles.”

  Her curiosity unsatisfied, Audrey clicked her beak in exasperation.

  “What, that’s all? Normally you can’t stop explaining the boring stuff, but now that we are discussing something actually interesting, you finally become quiet?”

  This was one of the rare times that she felt foreign emotions spilling through their telepathic communication, making it abundantly clear that Avery was every bit as exasperated as she was.

  “Here I am, offering you the mysteries of the universe, letting you peek at the very foundation of the world. And what do you do, when faced with an opportunity that would make gods jealous? You waste your time gossiping and asking about trivial details.”

  She had previously dismissed his delusions of grandeur, as he regularly mentioned things that were beyond even her Great Ancestor, but she wasn’t so sure he was exaggerating anymore. Perhaps, if he was really acquainted with the Lord of Mysteries, there might be some truth in his boasts. Still, there was no way she would admit that.

  “Who cares about your mysteries? Stop trying to scam me, you hardly know anything practical. Why should I waste my time learning what air is made of, or what in the world buoyancy is? Just telling me to flap my wings up and down would be more helpful than all your useless secrets.”

  Another round of bickering ensued, completely ruining the nascent image of Mister Spirit being an existence with a status comparable to the most ancient rulers of the world.


  “Um miss, are you okay? You are talking to yourself an awful lot…”

  Letting out a small cry of surprise, Audrey spun around to see a stag-like creature gazing down at her, looking concerned.

  She was immediately fascinated by its short but elaborate antlers, musing to herself about what a perfect perch they would make. Its majestic bearing, slender body and elegant silky white and brown fur would have been completely ignored, had it not been for the faint aura of power and elegance it emanated. It further enhanced the perfect harmony of the beast's sculpted body, projecting an image of otherworldliness and holiness.

  That aura was nothing compared to the ones cloaking the monsters outside, but it was enough to make it hard to concentrate. Raising her vigilance to the maximum, she tried hard to remember how lone travelers asked for admittance in a foreign city.

  “Hi! I’m Audrey, and I am here to receive the local baptism.”

  She knew she should have bowed, but she simply waved her wing in polite salutation, wondering if she had an aura of her own, and what concept it would project.

  “Baptism? You wish to settle down here?”

  There was a confusing amount of hostility in that question, which was at odds with the kind attitude the stag had shown previously. Was baptism a bigger deal that she had understood? Was it a way to gain permanent citizenship? It was true, the sparrow that had asked for it in her city had ended up living in the Exona Forest.

  “No, no, I just want to…”

  Flustered and annoyed at herself for showing such an undignified side of herself, she took a deep breath and straightened her folded wings proudly.

  “Worry not, I am just passing by. I simply want to be allowed to restock on supplies and find a few friends, then I shall be off. Just give me whatever ceremony will let me do that.”

  The stag looked suspicious but relieved, and silently accepted her claims. Then, it started asking Audrey a few questions about herself, like who she was, where she came from, and what she intended to do here.

  She meant to answer honestly, only leaving out her adventures with Mister Spirit, and her subsequent cultivation, but got stuck on the first question.

  "I am going to the Great Temple of Healing to… to… heal my wing?"

  Glancing disbelievingly at her at her perfectly healthy wing, Audrey suddenly considered her future. Why was she still traveling when the problem was already fixed? What was she planning to do, exactly? She couldn't just come home after running away, could she?

  Perhaps Mister Spirit would have an idea? Did he have somewhere to go, and should she accompany him? She did owe him, after all. So many questions… She already felt a headache coming.

  "Anyways, I’m not really sure where I am going, but I am sure I will be going somewhere! And quite soon! Probably? I mean, why would I stay in this weird city? It’s way too hot here!"

  Noticing that the stag looked like it did not believe a single word she said, she stopped rambling, puzzled by the fact her perceived lies did not seem to hinder her acceptance in the city. She was simply led down a flight of stairs to the familiar underground wishing hall.

  Obediently following her guide, Audrey got slightly giddy as she realized she was about to finally discover what was hidden behind that ominous purple curtain in the back of the hall.

  The reveal disappointed her slightly, as she entered a simple unadorned room, with nothing but an equally plain stone pedestal in the middle. The only thing of note was a small brown bowl. It wasn’t a separate object but a continuation of the pedestal, carved out of a single piece of rock.

  However, as she walked closer and peered over the edge, she saw a small black pyramid rising from the bottom of the bowl. It was made of a smooth and opaque material, unlike anything she had seen in her life.

  She found she couldn't look away, hypnotized by the strange object. It felt like it was calling to her, in a manner not unlike when Mister Spirit had initiated their telepathic bond. Yet no connection was established, as if there was an invisible veil separating them.

  “Smear ten drops of your blood onto the Gift of Void, and you will no longer be targeted. You will then be free to do whatever you wish, but remember that your blood will dissipate in seven days. Then, you must either leave or come back to donate your blood once more.

  Nodding sagely to confirm she had understood, Audrey used the sharp tip of the pyramid to make a small cut in her wing, wincing at the pain.

  Immediately, the faint connection she felt with it intensified a thousandfold, but it was still blocked by a thin but impenetrable barrier.

  Apart from that, she felt absolutely no different, but before she could even open her mouth to question her host, it impatiently chased her out, telling her that it was done and that she should go now.

  Hesitantly stumbling out of the cathedral, Audrey shuffled to the side of the street to avoid annoying passerby's, and looked around curiously.

  “So, what do I do now?”

9