Chapter 18 – Blood Oath Part 2
379 9 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tamer Zao Han Fan (POV)

Day 6 A.F.P

Fei Hong. "Now that you have completed the Blood Oath, I expect you never to discuss this ritual with anyone outside our family. You understand why, Zao?"

Zao. "I understand, but I still feel uncomfortable about it."

Fei Hong. "Your Uncle and Father had the same reaction at first, but their followers served them faithfully and ensured no harm came to them. So do not think of this as a contract between master and servant. This devotion can only be found through love and not fear. So in a way, the Blood Oath made them part of our family, unofficially."

Jia. "That is also why I accepted the proposal to be your wife."

Zao. "I knew Father and Uncle always treated their followers with the highest level of respect, but I always thought a blood oath was an abandoned tradition."

Fei Hong. "Nothing is truly gone forever. For a while, it slumbers before it is reawakened when the need arises. Now, I do not want to waste your time on philosophy. You have to return to U.G.P soon. I heard they have a secret mission for you to participate in."

Zao. "Secret Mission?"

Fei Hong. "Apparently, the Russian President had an illegitimate son in Saint Petersburg. So the U.G.P leadership wishes to recover the boy from a secret bunker by deploying the best combat Tamers they have at their disposal."

Zao. "What is the use of saving the President's illegitimate son? Is it not a problem for Sergei?"

Fei Hong. "Asher Williams is the nephew of General Alexander Williams, who is currently leading the Russian armed forces."

Zao. "I feel that is not the only motive behind this mission."

Fei Hong. "Since Sergei is too young to take over leadership, the General wishes to occupy that position by using Asher. The boy will legitimize the General as the sole caretaker of Russia until both Asher and Sergei are old enough for one of them to be chosen. Given that Sergei turned Eighteen recently and Asher is only sixteen, it will be many years before they are ready to bear the weight of a country like Russia on either shoulder."

Zao. "Why don't they elect a new president? I mean, historically, the Russian Federation does not follow hereditary succession."

Fei Hong. "Times have changed, Zao. Since the last cold war, our family has been regarded by our people as being blessed by the heavens. This has also influenced the Russian people who wish to return to the old monarchy. 

For generations, their people have been living under the iron fist rule of the Krasnatov family. So, understandably, they have reverted to viewing their leaders as a royal household of sorts.

Asher Williams was born with Albinism to a mother who took to the cloth of the church. Thus, the Russian leadership views him as a holy-like figure chosen by their god to lead Russia out of the Apocalypse."

Zao. "That sounds like religious propaganda."

Fei Hong. "Of course it is! How else can the General claim the seat of the custodian of Russia if his nephew is just an ordinary bastard with a skin problem? The more special he makes Asher out to be, the more influence he will have in the U.G.P and Russia over time."

Zao. "Does Sergei know about this mission?"

Fei Hong. "According to the Russian General, he believes Sergei is aware of Asher's existence but never met him in person. The General does not feel that Sergei should be part of the mission since it creates a political rival if it succeeds. The Asher boy is nothing more than a pretty puppet for the General, while Sergei is a young man raised to be a leader like you. So talk to Sergei and offer him your support for his succession to leadership instead of Asher."

Zao. "Why should we interfere in their leadership dispute? Is it not a family matter?"

Fei Hong. "Need I remind you that you will soon be Chairman? If Sergei is your counterpart, would that not create a more stable alliance if he owes you favor in getting him to power?"

Zao. "If the objective is to have Sergei in power, then Asher should not be retrieved is what you are trying to tell me?"

Fei Hong. "You are the Captain of the ship now, Zao. So the course it takes is up to you."

Jia. "You only have to give me a signal, and I can soil my hands for you if you wish when the time comes."

Zao. "I... I need to talk to Sergei first. He should be the one to decide his half-brother's fate."

Fei Hong. "Whatever you choose, know that the people of China depend on you now. So do not let personal friendships cloud what is needed for the greater good."

A few hours later. Back at U.G.P H.Q at Seward.

Zao and Jia Li walk up to Sergei's room and ring the bell. They are soon greeted by Sergei's intimidating killer bodyguards at the door. They recognize Zao and escort him and Jia to the dining room where Sergei is having dinner.

Sergei. "Comrade, Zao! What brings you to my room? You even brought a lovely guest with you! Who is she?"

Zao. "This is Jia Li Wang, she is... uh she is my..."

Jia. "I will be his wife soon."

Zao covered his face with his hands. It seemed like he was still trying to cope with the concept of being engaged to a stranger he never knew till a few hours ago.

Sergei. "Wow! I wondered why you left the base this afternoon. But now I see what called you away. Not bad! I didn't know Chinese people could be blonde."

Jia. "It is common among those who live in West Asia. There has been a lot of racial mixing over the centuries."

Sergei. "The results are not bad if you are an example of it. Now take a seat at my table. I will have Petrov serve you both a plate of Crab Patties and Crab Pot Pie made from the same Monsters Zao killed in Resurrection Bay."

Zao. "Aren't they a few days old?"

Sergei. "Oh no, these are fresh! They come from the ones you helped Carl Freeman capture for the research study. The Scientific Research Wing finally approved the meat for human consumption. In fact, they kept a few alive to see if it was possible to breed them to allow the Food Production Wing to harvest a sustainable source of food from their offspring for the troops."

Zao. "Have they discovered any benefits to eating monster meat?"

Sergei. "They taste good and fill your belly! What more do you expect from meat?" 

Zao. "No... I thought they would be special since..."

Sergei. "Not everyone believes they become more intelligent or improve their fertility from eating Yak Penis, Tiger balls or Rhino Horn like in some parts of your homeland."

Jia. "They are medicinal! Our Ancestors have been using them in our medicine and food to improve our bodies for over millennia."

Sergei. "How does it taste? I am not ashamed to admit that I am scared to find it out myself."

Jia. "Depends on how you take it. Some prefer to swallow them raw to get maximum benefit."

Jia did not realize how wrong it sounded. Sergei tried to move on.

Sergei. "Ah, it's good to see you have a sense of humor, at least. Now try the food and tell me if my bodyguard is a good chef or not." 

Jia. "Humor? I wasn't joking? I regularly take-"

Zao. "What happened to those Lobsters? Did they not approve it for consumption?"

Zao cut her off before she could say anything else. Sergei felt relieved that he could change the topic.

Sergei. "If we go by Earth logic, regular lobsters are hard to raise in captivity. This is because they take a long time to grow, eat a lot, and are susceptible to a contagious, fatal disease. While the regular crabs take around a hundred days to reach maturity and return more harvests in a year. That is why our scientists are only using the Lobster monsters for study and letting us turn the Crab monsters into food. But maybe Earth Logic does not apply to these monsters no matter how similar they look to the ones we know."

They continued discussing various topics as they ate the food for fifteen minutes. Finally, after the meal was done, Sergei let out a satisfied sigh.

Sergei. "Now that we are done, may I ask why did you drop by? Is it to show off your attractive Fiancee?"

Zao. "It's about Asher William and his Uncle."

Sergei's eyes widened in surprise.

Sergei. "He is alive?"

Then, Zao explained what his Aunt told him during their meeting and ended his explanation about the secret mission to retrieve him from Saint Petersburg.

Sergei. "You want me to decide his fate?'

Zao. "If I have to be blunt, then yes! I leave it up to you."

Sergei paused and contemplated for a bit.

Sergei. "Bring him here safe and sound. I want to meet this half-brother of mine and see if we both can work together or not. He might be the only family I have left in this world. If he chooses to be my enemy, then I will deal with him myself."

Ting! Ting!

Suddenly Zao and Jia receive a video message from the communication team through the Monster App on their phones.

[Video Message from Tamer Derek:

Lieutenant Colonel Ethan Jason - Tamer Battalion Commander- selected you for a classified mission. Report to the briefing room and wait there until the Commander arrives]

Sergei. "I wish you a safe return, comrade! And you too, Jia."

Jia. "Thank you for the meal! I hope I can get you to try out my Bat soup one day. You will-"

Zao. "Jia, let us go now!"

22