Chapter 49 – Souls and Memories
159 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lang Chi sat between Selvaria and Sevire. The Tamers and Marines from the UGP were all seated at the rear of the JTD. Selviaria chose to sit with them instead of other survivors who had filled up the front seating area.

Lang chi. "There is still plenty of empty seats in the front if you want to be with your people."

Selvaria. "They aren't my 'People,' Is there a problem for you if I sit here?"

Lang Chi. "Oh, no problem at all! If you don't mind me asking some questions."

Selvaria. "You must be tired from the battle. Why don't you get some sleep like your friend."

Lang Chi. "You mean Sevire? He always sleeps after eating monsters."

Selvaria. "He ate the Icebugs?"

Lang Chi. "His Centipede monster has some weird skill called Corpse Eater that heals his whole body by consuming the dead. According to him, it feels like he drank several mugs of beer all at once, so he has to sleep it off whenever turns back into a human."

Selvaria. "Interesting... I should have my nanites consume their bodies and see if they can extract anything useful."

Lang Chi. "You lost me."

Selvaria presented her left hand to Lang chi and made the Nanites in her bloodstream come out of the veins of her palm. The Nanites shaped themselves into a sphere the size of a coin which began to orbit around her fingers.

Lang Chi. "Is that a monster skill?"

Selvaria. "You know that I am a monster fusion tamer, so how can that be possible when I am not in combat style?"

Lang chi. "Is this magic? I thought this world was not capable of it before the monster app appeared."

Selvaria. "What? NO! This is the creation of the scientists at Vector. They use this to strengthen and heal our bodies to survive the effects of gravity on Earth."

Lang chi was mesmerized by the tiny moon that shattered into small fragments pulled back into her palm and vanished without a trace. He looked more confused by the explanation.

Lang Chi. "So you are saying that you are not from Earth?

Selvaria. "Are you making fun of me? I just said I am from Vector! If you never read a history book or watched the news, that's on the moon."

Sevire woke up from his sleep due to their conversation and decided to clear up some misunderstanding before it went any further.

Sevire. "Forgive him... he hasn't studied much about our history since he woke up here on D-Day."

Selvaria stared at them both with a confused expression.

Lang Chi. "I think I got reincarnated into this body and this world that day."

Selvaria. "Reincarnated?"

Lang Chi. "Yes, I was the Wolf God in my previous world. Though I am mortal like everyone here right now. Thankfully my monster 'Bane' retained some of my original powers."

Selvaria. "Is he serious?"

Sevire. "Afraid so..."

Selvaria. "You all believe him?"

Sevire. "He is the representative of Chairman Zao, so we have to believe it."

Lang chi. "You know I can answer your questions if you just ask me directly."

Selvaria motioned her hand for him to explain.

Lang Chi. "When I woke up in this world, I apparently took over the body of a man groomed to serve the future Chairman of China. When the soldiers of China found me wandering for several days in one of their ruined cities, they arrested me and took me to Zao. The man interrogated me for a day until I convinced him that I am truly a reincarnated soul."

Selvaria. "So, how did you end up as his representative?"

Lang Chi. "We fought, and I bested him because I have the skill to turn into a ghost. After that, he decided I would be useful in the Tamer Battalion, but they wouldn't accept me until he said I was his representative."

Selvaria. "If what you say is true, are you from a different Earth, like a parallel world?"

Lang Chi. "Maybe... I don't know. I want to get my powers back for now."

Selvaria. "Are you not going to try going back to your own world?"

Lang Chi. "If destiny brought me here, who am I to resist it?"

Sevire. "You could just run away if you wanted to, ya know?"

Lang chi. "I may be a mortal now, but I refuse to break oaths. Especially to those who are kind to me. Anyways, I feel that if I help the human race here overcome this trial, I might regain my Godhood."

Selvaria. "Please don't tell me you think you are a God now."

Lang Chi. "What's wrong with that? Isn't Dale a Sun God? Isn't the Commander the God of Crocodiles? All the Tamers fighting today are either Gods or blessed by their Gods."

Sevire. "He has a different concept of a God than we do, so just roll with it."

Selvaria. "If Lang Chi isn't your real name, what is?"

Lang Chi. "Bane."

Selvaria. "Isn't that your monster's name?"

Lang chi. "He and I are one and the same. He is just stuck in the wolf form."

Selvaria stared in disbelief, but there was a smile on her face when she looked at Lang Chi.

Lang Chi. "Why are you smiling?"

Selvaria. "Nothing... I need to freshen up a bit before we get to Alaska."

Lang Chi. "See you later, Moon God."

Selvaria looked at Lang Chi, shook her head, and went to the washroom to wash her face. Knowing that reincarnation was possible between worlds and seeing one who achieved it without implants made her excited.

When Selvaria was back in her seat, she noticed Dale was sitting alone and watching a video of her on his phone. She grew curious about his interest in her and decided to find out.

Selvaria. "Mind if I take a seat here."

Dale. "Sure... Wait! You are the Tamer from the moon, right?"

Selvaria. "I noticed you were watching me."

Dale. "Ah! Travis sent me the raw footage of you saving that Necromancer Moth Tamer. So you have my thanks for being there for the kid when I couldn't help."

Selvaria. "I didn't have much choice. Those corpses would have overwhelmed the Marines and ruined the EVAC if I didn't extract the venom."

Dale. "Right... You have quite the pair of Bunnies. Are they trained to sit on your shoulders like that?"

Selvaria. "They are genetically modified to have an intelligence of a human child. I meant to bring them back to the moon to create a colony of smart Rabbits, but the monster invasion happened. So now they have bonded to me, and I can't let break that connection."

Dale. "I can understand that... my dad had left me a fancy Hovercar in our garage to inherit when I got my license. I still miss that thing every day since it was the only connection I had worth remembering him."

Selvaria. "What happened to it?"

Dale. "Probably still at the basement of my apartment. I have no idea if it survived the Icebugs or got stolen by looters."

Selvaria. If the connection is strong, I am sure you will find it again one day."

Dale. "I like that way of thinking... So are you going to join the Tamer Battalion?"

Selvaria. "I already promised Bison I would help him with his idea of a Tamer Police Force when we get to Alaska."

Dale. "You like the idea of hunting Evil Tamers?"

Selvaria. "At the time, I accepted it since I did not have anything else to do. But my main goal always has been to use the UGP's resources to restore connections with Vector and get them to send my ship to take me home."

Dale. "Oh... you don't want to help with the war?"

Selvaria. "Of course, I am going to help! But first, I need to set some conditions with your leaders about my cooperation."

Dale studied Slevaria and felt awed by the aura of authority that her eyes conveyed.

Dale. "If you don't mind me asking. I saw how you fought to help us defeat the four bug commanders. Was it the monster app or your training that made you fight like that?"

Selvaria. "A bit of both... more to do with the implants in my head that show me the lives I lived in other worlds."

Dale. "I see... How does that work exactly?"

Selvaria. "Do you believe your soul exists in only one world?"

Dale. "Like I believe in the multiverse theory... especially after we confirmed that the monsters came from those worlds."

Selvaria. "Imagine a version of you experienced life in those worlds and died there. What would happen If you found a way to retrieve those memories?"

Dale. "Let's say that was possible... That would be quite a lot for one person to absorb, right?"

Selvaria. "Not many survived the experiment. I was one of the lucky ones, and that is how I ended up being battle-hardened for all kinds of situations."

Ting.

"This is the AI captain speaking. We are ten minutes away from Seward. Please return to your seats and fasten your seatbelts before we descend."

11