Chapter 52 – Risk vs Reward – Part 1
121 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Selvaria is inside a high-security vault where the Icebug Queen's egg has been stored. The tips of her fingers are pressed on the rough red surface of the eggshell. It has been placed on a velvet cushion on top of a pedestal at the vault's center. The nanites from her bloodstream transfer from her fingertips into the pores present on the egg's surface. The objective of the nanites is to scan the occupant of the egg and stimulate it to hatch. She made sure the temperature and lighting in the room were the ideal conditions for it. Selvaria also made Galatea feed the egg a little bit of Mana she gathered from lounging in a tub filled with Ice. It nourished the egg and sped up its incubation speed which meant it would hatch as long the conditions were ideal for its development.

This procedure has been going on for six hours without any break. Selvaria could feel the heartbeat of the unborn Queen and its body shifting when it absorbed Mana from Galatea. By now, the nanites learned what they had to do and worked semi-independently of Selvaria's will. Sometimes her mind would recollect the time she spent studying nanite control from the scientists at Vector. It was meant to help her heal her own body and create emergency blades during a close combat fight, but she constantly found different ways to use it to save others.

No one had ordered her to do all this for the egg. Selvaria wanted to make sure the Queen inside would find a friend instead of scientists who wanted to experiment on it the moment it hatched. Selvaria had horrible memories of the first time the scientist's on Vector tampered with her mind and body to create the perfect soldier. Though she gained many physical and mental benefits from the experiments, she was shunned by most of her age group until she won their respect through combat and intellect.

Selvaria decided that she would raise it on her own and make sure it wasn't a threat to Humans. Then, she would find a way for the little one to help in the war against the monsters. Her mind relived the moment she got on the military vehicle with the other tamers who were on their way for their debrief. When she asked what would happen to the egg, Benjamin told her that he planned to hand it over to the scientists in the Tamer Battalion. They would make it create monsters that could be used in the war on the human side.

During this ride, Commander Ethan explained the current style of governance in Seward along with how Non-Tamers in the town behaved around Tamers. Selvaria was surprised to learn that a new religion was being established here by a young boy from Russia. They even tolerated the existence of rogue factions of Tamers who were plotting to abandon their posts to create their armies to fight the bugs or against the UGP itself. That kind of threat wasn't something Selvaria would allow to exist if she was in charge. But right now, she needed their resources and couldn't afford to tell them her true thoughts on their management skills.

Selvaria paid close attention when Ethan detailed the list of facilities in Seward and what was being developed to make it a better home for the Tamer Battalion. Since this was the HQ of the UGP, she had assumed the five great powers would have brought their best and brightest here to create something unique. Instead, almost everything here was being developed by the Support Wings of the Tamer Battalion. Instead, they relied on their monster skills to get things done slowly and in an archaic way.

The once-formidable soldiers of these proud nations had been relegated to guard duty and base maintenance. Moreover, the UGP's scientists were more suited to creating medicines or studying monsters than making technologically advanced war machines. The arms manufacturing and distribution industries took the biggest hit during the invasion. Most countries that supplied the essential raw material needed for building advanced tech had closed their borders and refused to sell it to the UGP.

Though Selvaria despised scientists who experimented on unwilling subjects, she greatly admired those who worked on advanced space travel and warfare technology. She was determined to create a place that would focus on the areas that the UGP is neglecting. In addition, it must provide a sanctuary for those who want to pursue knowledge instead of... religion.

Admiral Radford welcomed Selvaria, Benjamin, Dale, Tavis, Commander Ethan, and the twelve marines on board the flagship of the Pacific fleet. One of the officers live-streamed the meeting so that the other members of the senior leadership could watch and listen. Once inside his War Room, he asked Commander Ethan to summarize the problems they faced during the EVAC mission and then asked Travis to play the video that compiled all the best scenes of the day. Travis's editing skills had created a military documentary unlike no other. It included Tamer interviews the fight against the Icebug swarm and their Bug commanders. It concluded with the battle with the Human Chimera that almost ruined the EVAC.

The Admiral was disappointed that Travis didn't record the destruction of the Icebug Queen and the city of Dallas. But after thinking about it a bit, he felt it is better to avoid showing those scenes as it does nothing to make people want to sign up. Instead, they would wonder why this weapon wasn't used before today regardless of the circumstances. The successful evacuation and firepower of the Tamers were more than enough for the recruitment videos that he needed.

He congratulated Travis on a job well done on the video and then told him to share it with everyone who used the monster app. He hoped that Tamers from other countries sitting on the sidelines would volunteer to join the fight against the monsters. If they are willing to join the tamer battalion, they will receive the same benefits that the nationals fo the UGP receive.

Admiral Radford's eyes fell on Benjamin soon after. The man held the prize that this whole mission was about. He ordered him to share the details of his mission in the best way possible.

Once Benjamin activated his telepathic skills by letting his monster partner cover his face, he narrated the findings inside the hive under Dallas. Admiral Radford took notes of Ben's discoveries about the Icebug's communication capabilities and the sight of corpses belonging to a regiment of Mexican soldiers that were piled up inside the hive for consumption. The news disturbed him, but he kept his thoughts to himself and then heard what Ben learned about the Chimeras and the uniqueness of the egg specialized to create more of them.

Knowing the Icebug Queen produced Chimeras from injecting the souls of Tamers into her eggs caused almost everyone in the room to look at the egg as an abomination that needed to be destroyed. But, first, Ben had to explain the appearance of Ajax and the strength he displayed that took out nearly half of her swarm and all her elite Royal Guards. He then mentioned an entity known as the Empress, who must be the Queen of all Icebug Queens from wherever they came from, and how Ajax was one of her Chimeras.

Though Benjamin could not confirm Ajax's fate, he suggested that they all assume the Chimera is still alive since he has some weird teleportation skill. Dale then shared the Icebug Queen's last words before she got squished, which mentioned the Empress is aware of the theft of the egg and would come after it. After processing the threat, the Admiral ordered the Marines to secure the egg in their best vault and get the scientists to study it as soon as possible.

Captain Razack then shared the battle assessment reviews about the new gear. Most of his men were happy with it, while some said they needed improvements or overhauls in design. The heat blades and incendiary grenades worked well, but most of their armor was too damaged to be used again. He suggested that they create an armor reminiscent of those worn by heavy armored Knights and weapons that are not limited to short-range attacks. The Admiral agrees and then orders him to work with the Tamer support wings to address these issues.

After the debriefing was concluded, the Admiral expressed how impressed he was with their results. He awarded Benjamin with the rank of Colonel for bringing the Royal egg back in one piece along with the vital intel of the Chimeras and the existence of an Empress figure in their hierarchy. Likewise, commander Ethan was promoted to Brigadier General for carrying out the Evac mission without any casualties. Dale was given the rank of Captain for wiping out the highest number of enemy troops single-handedly. Finally, all the twelve Marines received a rank-up and a few days leave to relax.

Once the medal ceremony was done, Admiral Radford acknowledged Selvaria's decisive contribution to the battle against the Chimeras and her role in saving the Necromancer Tamer. However, he couldn't give her a rank since she is a Space Fleet Admiral of a rogue nation. Thus he compromised on a reasonable reward of her choice as recognition for her efforts.

Selvaria. "I wish for a large property of land that no one from the UGP can interfere with, and I want that Royal egg."

Everyone was stunned by her demands.

Travis. "Are you serious? I admit you deserve a reward, but that is excessive, don't you think?"

Selvaria. "Which is excessive, the land or the egg?"

Travis. "Both!"

Admiral Radford. "It's alright. She can have the land. I suspect you wish to create some embassy for Vector?"

Selvaria. "Yes... but I also plan to build a Tamer Guild, a mega library, a fortified base, and have factories that produce advanced weapons and Mechs."

Dale. "That's a lot of things to build."

Selvaria. "I assure you that my work will benefit the UGP and not just Vector."

Admiral Radford. "You mean, the weapons and mechs used by Vector? Those are..."

Travis. "Kid, there is a reason their technology is banned on Earth."

Selvaria. "Are you going to refuse my help?"

The Admiral was about to reject it, but he sighed in defeat.

Admiral Radford. "The times we live in force us to break the old rules. We have to make friends wherever we can and adopt new ways of thinking."

Travis. "Alright, if you are going through with this, we better give her the good stuff. I suggest handing over the Rugged Island and all the Marine Parks in Resurrection Bay."

Admiral Radford. "That will give her the privacy she desires, and it will fortify the passageway towards Seward from the sea. Fine! Those lands are yours now, but you will have to find your volunteers to help you build whatever you want on it."

Selvaria shrugged her soldiers as if it wasn't much of a problem for her.

Selvaria. "All I need is a few Construction Mechs and Tamers who can summon an army of workers like the Necromancer Albert."

Travis. "Those corpses will be turned into weapons, so he will have difficulty building a competent force for you. Since the lad only gains Mana at night from what Bison told me about him."

Dale. "I think Rebecca has the skills you need, will get her to join your project."

Selvaria. "I appreciate the help, Dale! Now, what about the egg?"

Admiral Radford. "I can't just give it to you... But I will give you a chance. If you can make it hatch and tame it within twenty-four hours. Then whatever that comes out of that egg is yours to keep."

Selvaria. "And if I fail?"

Admiral Radford. "It goes to the scientists. Of course, they wish to create an army out of it, but after what I learned just now, I am not thrilled by that idea."

Selvaria. "Let me stay inside the vault with it tonight. I will make sure it hatches before daylight."

8