Chapter 2 (New Home)
213 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Sorry I messed up the order. Please read the first chapter before this.)

 

 

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorcerer, Chief Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Hadrian Hofstader,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

Hadrian glanced at the letter before going back to his book. He was distracted by the letter. He had expected it to arrive this summer. But now he was unsure of himself. He had prepared for everything to make sure that nobody figured out his identity.

He had replaced his glasses with black contact lens. Managed to partially tame his hair to look a little respectable. He was well fed and was much taller than he previously was. He was thin but not malnourished. He had plenty of food thanks to his brother.

Harry sighed as he thought about how he met his brother.

/\/\/\/\/\

Harry was tired. He was unable to find any hotels he could stay in as they had tried to stop him and find his parents. Then some older boys found out that he had large amounts of money.

"Hey kid where did you come from?" the guy asked.

"Can't you see?" the other replied, "He must have run away from home."

"Is that true kid? Come here give me the bag, I will take care of it for you." Saying so the two started laughing. One of the stepped forward to hit him "I bet you will go crying for your mother when you feel my fists on your cheek."

Harry lashed out at him sending him flying with his accidental magic. He hit the wall hard and fell down.

Angry at seeing his friend get hurt the other guy  snapped at him "That's it boy, you are done.", and stepped forward to hit him.

Scared at what was about to happen Harry closed his eyes and waited. The fist never came, all he heard was a crunching noise. He opened his eyes to see a pale looking man who looked a lit older than twenty standing on top of the other guy.

Harry stared into the pale looking boy's red glowing eyes before snapping out of his reverie to hear the boy ask, "Why is a wizard child in the back alley way of a muggle street?"

/\/\/\/\/\

As Harry was thinking about his first meeting he heard someone whisper, "Deep in thoughts are we?"

Harry jumped out of the chair and took a few deep breaths after taking a look at the one behind him. "Geez Victor, You scared me. How many times do I have to tell you not to suddenly appear behind me like that"

"It's just fun to see you jump like that." The one named Victor laughed heartily. "Your expression never seems to change no matter how many times I scare you"

Grumbling Harry picked up his book and letter and moved towards the table.

Taking a look at the seal on the envelope Victor asked, "Is that your Hogwarts letter?"

Harry nodded slowly, "An owl brought it today. I already sent the confirmation letter."

"Why so glum. You are going to learn magic. Show some excitement." Victor said as he lifted Harry with ease.

"There is a chance that they would send some teacher to introduce me to the magic world as my name is clearly not magical. If they see you, they may figure out what you are." Harry said.

Victor sighed, "I will stay away for a few days. If nobody arrives then we are clear. If a teacher does arrive say that you are related to a squib and would rather not speak of them."

Harry agreed, "Okay but where are you going to stay?"

"You let me worry about that." Victor replied.

Sometime later

Harry walked through the streets of Diagon Alley looking around at the various items being sold.

Nothing seemed to have changed. Harry thought.

He took a turn and ended up on a dim street where nobody paid attention to. Finding the shop he was looking for, he entered 'Rade Wandmaking'.

Harry arrived at the table to see an old looking man sleeping. Taking a deep breath he spoke loud and clear like his brother told, "I am here to buy a wand."

The old man woke up with a start, "H-uh, what?"

"I said I am here to buy a wand sir." Harry replied.

"I heard that boy." He said mockingly, "Who told you about this place? Did you just wander into my shop? No worries the Ollivanders is on the main street."

Harry stared weirdly at the man, "You get a customer and the first thing you do is to point him to another shop." Shaking his head Harry said, "My brother told me you make wands."

He narrowed his eyes, "And who is your brother?"

Harry replied, "Victor Hofstader."

"Oh, and how is he dealing with his problems. A shame he had to give up his wand." The old man said, "And call me John. Sir makes me feel old."

Harry exclaimed, "You are old!" but immediately shut up when John glared at him.

"It will take anywhere between a day and a week to make a wand. Ollivander makes great wands and they have been making wands for generations. It is strong but not always a perfect fit and most are not able to the wand to the fullest. We at Rade make custom wands that fit the user." John said proudly.

"Now come here and place your hand over these items. Just touch them a little and try to push your magic through them."

Harry moved towards the box that contained the cores. After spending some time he finally found a core and wood.

"Hornbeam and phoenix feather. Uncommon combination. Phoenix feather wands are quite rare. Coupled with hornbeam, this is going to be interesting. Especially since the wood you selected came from a 400 year old tree in Germany." John said observing the wood, "Come back in a week's time. It would be done by then."

Harry got out of the shop and returned to the main alleyway. He decided to buy all the items in the list as quick as possible. He already felt suffocated after seeing so many people just moving about.

He wanted to skip the pets shop entirely when he saw something behind the glass window. Harry grinned since he found something interesting.

/\/\/\/\/\

"You could have bought a cat. The school list says that you can buy a cat." Victor said.

Harry replied, "I could have also bought an owl or a toad."

Victor stared helplessly as the young Augurey happily munched on some meat.

"You know that they are just superstitions right? Its cries do not bring death to the person." Harry said.

Victor quickly replied, "I am not superstitious, its just that you just bought what looks like a vulture. You also know that I hate birds. They always tend to cause trouble for me."

"Its just in your mind. Doesn't he look good?"

" … and what is his name?"

Harry replied, "I named him Augurey."

After a brief moment of silence Victor burst out laughing "Did you just name your augurey Augurey?"

"Augurey is a perfect name." Harry said hotly, "besides I can still send my letters to you using him. I don't think anything will try and fight him in sky."

Harry went back to stroking his pet. Victor shook his head and got up. He moved through their small two bedroom house and reached the kitchen. He put some toast and came back to the living room. He placed it in front of Harry and went to his room. He took a piece of cloth and slowly unwrapped it. He took what was inside and returned to Harry.

"Harry I want you to take this." Victor said.

Looking at the chain with a beautiful silver wing, his eyes widened, "I can't take that! That's yours."

"I know, but now it is yours." Victor replied.

Harry took the pendant and placed it on his neck. His first real gift.

2