Chapter 2- TEREGGOR
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Phantom Girls and Otherworldly Beings

Chapter 2

TEREGGOR

“...What are you doing?”

That was the first thing Henrietta had in mind as she observed her fellow apprentice, Ishva, duking it out with a log of wood.

“...You really took your time, so I thought I’d entertain myself a bit,” Ishva explained as she stowed her shield and spear away in Higher Space, a hint of embarrassment evident on her face, “You saw nothing.”

“No guarantees,” Henrietta replied, “So, uh, Teacher said today’s a free day. What should we do?”

“...Ah, I see,” the other girl responded, “It’s been a while since Teacher canceled training. I need time to think.”

With Henrietta’s OK, Ishva placed her fingers under her chin and thought. She utilized all the brain cells available to her, pushed them to their limits, and processed every possible option (that her bored mind could conceive at the time).

“...Sorry, I got nothing.”

Maybe a walk will give birth to inspiration.

The forest near the city of Farandier is said to be where many of this country’s adventurers began their journey, which is why it is often referred to as the Frontier Woods. While teeming with various strange beings, the forest itself is often described as “surprisingly tranquil”. Opinions vary as to whether this tranquility is calming or eerie.

“...I like the peace here,” Ishva commented, as she and Henrietta watched the leaves fall from a tree.

“I dunno, I feel like something might attack any moment,” Henrietta replied, “Got any ideas yet?”

“Not really...” the other girl said, with a hint of disappointment, “I really thought looking at the falling leaves to force the finality and brevity of our existence into my mind would prompt me to come up with something to do...ah well.”

The two girls went on their way. During their aimless walk, they decided to start some small talk.

“It’s been a whole year, huh?” Henrietta started, “Since our Teacher started training us, that is.”

“I honestly thought the training would be something more...brutal,” Ishva admitted, “But Teacher is really through with her teachings. It’s surprising how quickly we comprehended Higher Space under her guidance.”

“I’m just glad that she didn’t just throw us at a bunch of powerful monsters and make us tough it out. I’d prefer to keep life-or-death situations at a minimum! Heh.”

“We sure are lucky she found us back then...”

A brief pause went by as the two girls watched the falling leaves.

“...Wanna do something big for her?” Henrietta proposed, “I think she’d love it if we show our thanks whenever we can.”

“Sure! What should we do, though?”

“That’s what we’ll answer with this walk in the woods.”

The conversation ended there, and the two girls continued walking in silence.

Eventually, they found something to do.

“Oh hey, it’s a Tereggor,” Henrietta noted, as the two girls happened upon a large, reptilian being that is currently taking a nap.

“Cool, these guys don’t show up often,” Ishva said.

The two girls stood in place as they observed the slumbering Tereggor. These reptilian beings are known for their eerily detached legs, that seemed to belong to a different being from beyond. Because of their sheer physical speed and strength, adventurers usually stay away when one of these armless reptiles pay the Frontier Woods a visit.

“...Wanna fight it?” Ishva asked.

“Sure, why not.”

One stone throw later, the girls are running circles around a decidedly pissed off giant reptile.

“Okay, so you shield me while I build up,” Henrietta said.

“Got it, just tell me when you’re ready,” Ishva replied, readying her shield and spear while Henrietta got behind her and took out her staff.

Henrietta assumed a swinging stance and focused. The various metals she had stored in her Higher Space began converging their mass towards the tip of her staff. As the mass converged, the staff grew in mass and weight...

Meanwhile, Ishva was hard at work protecting the focused Henrietta from the assault of the Tereggor. By exerting her Higher Space, she can push the Tereggor away whenever it rushed in for a bite. With her trusty spear, she would poke at it to keep it at bay, making sure Henrietta’s focus is not broken.

“Whoa!” she let out as the Tereggor spun its body between its legs, using the momentum to smash its head down on the two girls. Using her Higher Space, Ishva managed to parry the head and let it crash onto the ground. She then pushed the reptile away and steadied herself. “Is it ready yet!?”

“Not yet!”

Ishva then sensed something behind her, aiming at the charging Henrietta. Realizing what the giant reptile is planning, she quickly pushed her Higher Space body in front of her partner, just in time to push back the Tereggor’s head that had phased in from behind.

“Trickier than the usual ones, I see,” the guarding girl muttered as the head phased back to its body and the Tereggor stepped away to plan its next strike.

Henrietta then shouted “It’s ready!” and that was when Ishva shifted gears.

She lowered her shield and put her spear away. Lowering her guard as much as she can, she coerced the giant reptile into making a decisive attack. Seeing a golden opportunity to bite the girls out of existence, the Tereggor took the bait and lunged in for the kill.

As it neared the girls, Ishva caught hold of her Higher Space and pushed the reptile down, using her Higher Space to hold it in place while she smashed her shield over its head.

Then, she released the reptile and allowed it to get up...right in time for Henrietta to strike.

“Take this!” the girl grunted as she swung the heavily amassed staff with all her might. The immense weight that came from all the mass gathered on the tip of her staff slammed into the Tereggor with the might of a large boulder, and sent it flying.

“Phew! That was quite the workout,” Henrietta cheered as the giant reptile crashed, got up, and fled, “That should keep it away from here for a week or so.”

“I remember us having a really hard time when we first fought one as an exam from Teacher,” Ishva commented, “Nowadays, fighting it feels so much smoother.”

“Feel good to see how much better we’ve become at this Higher Space thing!” Henrietta cheered as she stretched her arms. “I’ll be relying on you to guard me in the future as well, Ishva!”

“Of course, Henrietta,” the other girl readily agreed, “We’re a team, after all.”

“Anyway,” Henrietta continued, “Now that my stomach is feeling rather lacking, I was thinking that we could throw Teacher a feast later! How does that sound?”

“I’d love to have a nice meal now...”

And so the two girls turned around and made their way back to their residence, their thoughts consumed by the desire for dinner.

1