Chapter 021 The blind lawyer
2.5k 1 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 021

'I didn't think I would meet Daredevil so soon.'

Alex thought in his head as Markus told Matt and Foggy about the situation regarding his older brother, Clive.

He was still not sure about the two lawyers that Alex had dragged him to, but he took it as a chance and explained everything to them.

On the other hand, both the young and inexperienced lawyers listened to Markus' words with focus. They were surprised and doubtful at first due to the age of Alex and Markus.

But as they listened to the case, they gradually understood that it was not a joke or anything.

Especially Matt who looked to be really attentive. Alex didn't know what he was thinking as it was just too hard for him to get anything out of Matt's facial expression and his sunglasses acted as a good cover.

Though, Alex was still able to guess one thing.

'He must be trying to see if Markus is telling the truth or not.'

One of the powers of Daredevil was to pick out truth or lie based on the heartbeat of a person. And from what he knew, Matt would often use it in his cases.

"So, you are saying that your brother was found with a bloody knife and a dead body next to him?" 

Foggy asked after Markus had finished narrating everything he knew. 

"Yeah, that's what the police told me."

"They didn't let you meet your brother?" Matt asked, cocking his head a little.

"No, my mom and I requested but they didn't budge." 

Matt fell into a thought hearing that. From his heartbeats, he knew that Markus wasn't lying but he wasn't sure if wanted to take this case or not.

After all, he didn't wanted to save Clive if he was really the murderer.

"Are you sure your brother didn't kill that woman?"

Matt asked, his tone serious. Alex imagined him squinting his eyes behind his sunglasses.

"I'm sure my brother didn't kill anyone. He wasn't that kind of person. He's kind, hardworking and I can never picture him as a murderer."

Matt nodded his head after confirming that he wasn't lying. Then, he gestured towards Foggy who quickly stood up and made a phone call.

It was for a split second but Alex was able to take a peek at who Foggy was calling – Brett Mahoney.

If his memory served him right, Alex knew that Brett was a police officer and Foggy's childhood friend. Foggy would often bribe him for information.

For a while, a conversation including a 'Box of cigarettes' and 'Brett's mother' went on. After some time, it seemed like Brett finally agreed to provide information to Foggy about Clive's case.

Things went pretty quickly after that.

Foggy and Matt confirmed that the case was something they wanted to take and they would be Clive's lawyers.

Markus was pretty happy when they agreed to take the case, immediately thanking Alex before leaving to share it with his mother.

No lawyer was agreeing to take their case, so just that much was a big deal for Markus.

"Are you not gonna leave with your friend?" Foggy asked him as to his surprise, Alex didn't leave with Markus.

"We will take the case from here, kid." Matt added.

'What should I do?'

His heartbeat quickened as Alex thought up an excuse to follow Matt and Foggy to the police station, but there was no way they would let him watch over their investigation.

That's why, he just pushed out his hand towards Foggy and opened his mouth. 

"I was just gonna leave." He shook Foggy's hand. "Thank you for taking up the case."

"It's our pleasure."

Alex walked towards the door, smiling mirthfully. But as soon as he put a foot outside the door, Matt's voice called him out from behind.

"Wait!" 

He turned around, wondering if Matt had caught him. His heartbeat increased as Matt asked.

"I didn't ask but how did you know of our firm?"

Hearing that question, Foggy also raised an eyebrow at him while Alex took a sigh of relief. Thankfully, Matt hadn't noticed anything.

"I read about your firm from somewhere. I heard you two help people around Hell's kitchen and are good lawyers. So, I just searched up your firm."

His answer was filled with lies and truth but Alex didn't care much. After saying that, he left without thinking.

His job was done here and he would leave the case to Nelson and Murdock.

* * *

Late at night, Alex sat in his room and drank on some coke. In front of him was a miniature transceiver that he had gotten from the hero shop for 20 HP.

It had come with a bug that he had managed to attach to Foggy's body during their handshake. As Alex can't be there during the interrogation and investigation, he can at least listen to it.

For the past hour, he had been listening to Matt and Foggy joke around and discussing the case. 

Both of them had no idea that Alex was listening on to their conversation.

Currently, the main part that Alex wanted to hear was finally beginning. 

[Like I said, I didn't know what happened. I used to like that girl, so I asked her out for drinks. We both worked at the same place and often have our lunch together. So, I asked her out. We have a couple of drinks. Then, I blacked out.]

It was a voice that he hadn't heard before. Alex guessed that it was the voice of Markus' older brother, Clive. 

He was currently talking to Foggy and Matt about what had happened exactly.

[Mr. Clive, do you really have no idea of what would have transpired. All the points are against you in this case and anyone will say that you are undoubtedly guilty.]

[I didn't kill her!]

Alex just listened to her as the interrogation went on.

Matt and Foggy kept trying to get anything that might help their case but the case was really tricky.

According to Clive, he had asked out a colleague but the end result was him waking up in a pool of blood next to the body of the girl he had asked out.

To top it off, he was even holding the murder weapon.

'Maybe he just killed her while being drunk?'

Alex wondered when suddenly he heard some interesting words.

94