Chapter 046 Famous people and showcase
2.1k 2 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 046

'There's a hell lot of people here.'

Alex thought as he walked through the crowd, finding it hard to look around with all the people gathered at the event.

Aside from the Hammer Industries fair, there were other inventions on display too but people rarely glanced towards them.

Everyone wanted to know what Justin Hammer was going to reveal today.

"Where exactly are you, Matt?"

Alex tapped on the comm links he had bought from his system and called Matt as he moved towards the auditorium. Hammer Industries' weapon demonstration event called 'In defence of peace' was going to start in a few minutes.

– On the other side. Want me to come find you?

A crisp and clear voice came out from the phone.

"No, it's better if we are on opposite sites. It's more effective. There can be a lot of firing here today? Are you prepared for that?"

– I'm wearing my armour inside my clothes, so I will be fine. Although I didn't bring my helmet.

"That's better. The horns will just scare the kids away.

A chuckle came out from him as he ended the call.

'With at least Matt here, there will be some less casualties. Ah, he's there!'

As Alex was in the middle of his thoughts, he suddenly noticed someone familiar. It was Peter and a girl with blonde hair was standing next to him.

He instantly recognized her as Gwen Stacy.

With a pretty face and slim body, she looked like the type to be the lead cheerleader in high school. But the girl didn't resemble Emma Stone much. She looked way more like her comic version.

'She's still a lot prettier than I imagined.'

He felt jealous as he thought of Peter's love life in the comics which was filled with a large number of female superheroes. 

Come to think of it, his love life was one always focused on in the animation series and movies.

"Well, whatever. I at least don't have to worry about protecting her today."

Peter was more than enough to protect Gwen from the drones, so after a glance, he shifted his focus on the stage.

The military officials were already present but the leaders of famous corporations and other civilians in authoritative posts were still coming in.

Alex was even able to recognize some of them as they walked in with bodyguards by their side.

There was Ward and Joy Meachum from Rand Enterprises, Larry Ellison from Oracle, Anastasia Hardy from Hardy foundation and in the end, there was Pepper Potts followed by a redhead spy.

Obviously, she didn't know about her assistant's real identity as a spy.

Both of them shook hands with some people and then sat down in one of the front seats.

He watched it all from the back as the people settled down.

Finally, after a while, the event finally started as Justin Hammer walked on the stage, dancing weirdly to the music and amidst the applause and cheer from the audience.

"Yeah. That's what I'm talking about." He said as he looked up at the audience, enjoying being the centre of attention.

He gave a final look as the applause calmed down. Then his speech started.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for far too long, this country has had to place its brave men and women in harm's way, but then the Iron Man appeared, and we thought that the days of losing lives were behind us. Sadly, that technology was kept out of reach. That's not fair. That's not right and it's just too bad…"

He said and with a bit of pause, started talking about Iron man.

"Regardless, it was an innovative invention. One that grabbed headlines all over the world. But today, my friends, the press has another problem. They are gonna run out of ink!"

Another applause rang out as he glanced at the military officials. With a smile, he began presenting what he thought would make him more famous than Tony Stark.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today, I present you to the new face of the United States military – The Hammer drones!"

Military music rang out as the drones rose out from the state. The applause got louder and louder as Justin Hammer began presenting the drones.

"Army!"

"Navy!"

"Air Force!"

"Marines!"

Justin Hammer clapped to the applause as he continued.

"Yeah! Woo! That's a hell of a lot better than some cheerleaders, let me tell you." He smiled. "But as revolutionary as this technology is, there will always be a need for man to be present in the theatre of war."

With that, another space opened on the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today I am proud to present to you the very first prototype in the Variable Threat Response Battle Suit and its pilot, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes."

Alex could see Pepper's shocked and confused face as Justin Hammer took Rhodey's name. 

Taking a look at the audience, Rhodey saluted and all the drones followed. The sound of cameras clicking, people clapping and muttering in disbelief filled the auditorium.

Besides Alex someone muttered, "So, the age of machines is finally here!"

But it was not the end.

'The real party will begin now.'

He thought as he turned his head to look up at Tony Stark flying through in his Iron man suit. Not only him, but many people noticed him.

As soon as Tony landed on the stage, applause that could bleed one's ears rang out as people stood up from their seats, giving Tony a standing ovation.

"We got trouble."

Tony said, walking up to Rhodey while Alex dialled Matt.

"Tony, there are civilians present. I'm here on orders. Let's not do this right now." Rhodey said as Justin Hammer stood there, confused at what was happening.

"Give them a wave." He said, waving at the audience. "All these people are in danger. We gotta get them out of here. You gotta trust me for the next five minutes."

"Yeah, I tried that. I got tossed around your house, remember?"

"Listen, I think he's working with Vanko."

As all that was happening on the stage, Alex was talking with Matt, warning him about the drones.

"The drones are gonna go crazy. Be prepared!"

– So, skynet gonna get real?

"We do live in a crazy world."

He took a deep breath as he touched his wolf pendant.

87