C6: Independence
511 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aiden rushed back to his mining spot.

"Working hard, aren't you?" Mrs. Porkar asked as she watched Aiden rushing back.

Aiden shrugged.

"I have to do at least this much. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to support my sister." Aiden continued picking up his pickaxe from his bag. "And also, my sister's birthday is coming up. And I don't have enough money for a proper birthday present."

Aiden probably could have given her something decent if he cracked open his savings. But he didn't want to do that. Those savings were for her college tuition, and Aiden couldn't lose them anytime soon.

Mrs. Parkor glanced at him with an apologetic gaze.

"You are working yourself too hard, child. Shouldn't your sister at least be independent by now and pay for her own tuition fees? Why are you spoiling her like this? At worse, she should take student loans and not trouble you like this." she continued. "Have you ever seen yourself in the mirror? You are working yourself too much. Your sunken cheeks and eye bags aren't just for show."

Aiden sighed as he said no more words.

What Mrs. Parkor said was probably not wrong. Yuna was not a child anymore. At least she wouldn't be after her coming birthday and should be responsible for her own burden. At least anyone of her age should have already taken it upon their own shoulders.

"Our family situation is a little different," Aiden sighed. "She was very young when our parents died. Unlike me, she doesn't even remember their faces properly." Aiden didn't mention the part that he was literally plagued by nightmares every other night. Rather than calling it that he couldn't forget them, it would be more fitting to say that he was forced to remember them no matter how much he tried to forget.

Aiden continued...

"She had never felt the love of her parents. And while I couldn't possibly have replaced the love that her parents could have given her, I didn't get to act a proper brotherly figure either. I was too busy earning scraps while she was all alone in that empty apartment. The only solace that she had was that if she waited long enough, her brother would probably come back home at the end of the day. Do you think going through any of this is normal? How could I leave her alone knowing this? She is a good child, you know? She doesn't deserve this."

Aiden turned towards Mrs. Parkor in a questioning tone. He wanted to affirm from an actual adult to confirm if what he is doing is right.

He had always believed that he should fulfill his promise to his father. And he worked hard for that.

But was all of that needed, or was it even worth it?

Perhaps it was an affirmation that Aiden wanted.

That what he striving for... was a noble cause, even though deep down he didn't want to continue anymore.

Mrs. Parkor was an adult woman with a lot of experience.

She should have the answers that Aiden sought, didn't she?

But Mrs. Parkor's lips pursed in confusion.

"I think you should talk it out with your sister and ask for her opinion on this, at least? It would be a nice time to talk since she has passed out of school, hasn't she?"

Was that what he should do?

Aiden felt devastated for a moment. It wasn't the confirmation that he desired.

"But-"

"Look at yourself Aiden! Today is the first time we are talking like this, but I can already see how hard you are pushing yourself. You are just killing yourself for no good reason. I am worried about you. Does your insensitive sister who can't even see this, deserves your sacrifice? I don't think so. You have a life of yourself too."

Aiden was at a loss for words.

Was this it? Is it finally time for her to let her go and fly on her own?

Aiden felt weird and empty just by thinking about it.

Perhaps the right choice on Aiden's part now would be to pass on all of his savings to her. And to let her have her independence on her own.

But the problem was Aiden couldn't stop his pupils from hands from shaking. Mrs. Parkor had easily taken notice of all of Aiden's reactions from the start.

Mrs. Parkor patted his back.

"The problem is not with your sister but it is with you, isn't it? You say that your sister has always been alone. But, isn't the same true for you as well? Worse is the fact that you had to go through the trauma of losing your parents while she wasn't old enough to understand anything. You tell me that your sister would be devastated if she is left alone. And her only solace is waiting for you to return home... But isn't it more for yourself? Aren't you scared that one day when you go back home there would be no one there waiting for you?"

It was so true, and Aiden felt guilty. It was like she had some kind of control over Aiden's consciousness.

Mrs. Parkor's words felt like a jolt of lightning to Aiden's conscience.

Was this it? Was he the cause that his sister was acting weird lately? There was always that kind of atmosphere around her.

Perhaps she wanted to break free of the cage made by him. But couldn't bring herself to say so on his face?

'I see. So it would have to end soon.'

Perhaps Yuna felt guilty or perhaps she felt too indebted to say it on his face. And Aiden as a brother was just being inconsiderate not giving Yuna her deserved freedom, even though she would soon be an adult.

'Even if I don't consider it to be the case, it doesn't change the fact that it is time she must be independent on her own.'

Aiden sighed.

"I see. I will talk it out with her and see what she wants."

Mrs. Parkor shook her head.

"I am sorry Aiden. I overstepped my bounds and came in between you two siblings. But, you have got me all wrong, Aiden. You shouldn't be looking out for just what she wants, but it has to be what BOTH of you want." Mrs. Parkor continued as she pursed her lips, "The reason why I am so worried about you is that you are just like that brother of mine. He too, had always catered to my selfishness but eventually died in a dungeon. By the time I realized my mistake, it was far too late. I don't want you to go down the same path, okay?"

"I am sorry to hear that."

Mrs. Parkor tilted her head.

"Don't be. It was entirely my fault."

Aiden wanted to know which mistake she was referring to. Was it prying into his personal matters, or was it the death of her brother? Aiden felt that it was the latter, but he didn't ask any further.

Me: Mrs Parkor has a soft spot for MC, doesn't she?

My subconscious: MIL...

Me: *Bonk*

7