C9: Cracks
862 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I am back," Aiden spoke out looking for a response.

"Welcome back, Ni-san," Yuna spoke in a nonchalant tone.

Yuna didn't seem to be in a particularly bad mood or busy with anything since her exams were now over. 

She was just sitting on her couch flipping through her phone through mysterious and obnoxious posts that Aiden had never heard of. Though considering Aiden's lack of social presence and busy life, it wouldn't be far-fetched if Aiden ended up finding the UI of the app she was using too difficult for his personal use.

Aiden's usage had been only limited to the green telephone logo and the messaging app.

But even if Aiden didn't understand a thing, he did ask Yuna from time to time as to what she was doing. It was just an everyday guardian worried about the kind of sites his ward was visiting even though he didn't understand much and would be easily fooled if Yuna were to lie. That wasn't to say that Aiden couldn't spot Yuna's lies but this fact was a secret only known to him.

But today Aiden didn't ask any of that. His eyes did travel to her phone screen to check it once, but it was just that. Aiden had far more things on his mind to discuss with Yuna now.

'It was really a hectic day.' Aiden jerked off the sweat on his forehead. 'But where should I even start?'

It was awkward to discuss considering that Aiden wasn't even sure of the real name of Kaguya that he was most worried about.

"Yuna are you free now?"

"Yes, Ni-san? Do you want something?"

"Ah no," Aiden shook his head. "It's just that I met someone today who claimed to be your friend."

"Friend? That's weird..." Yuna raised her brows. "I haven't been in contact with anyone since the study break started, let alone talked with anyone about you. I don't think they will assume a stranger to be my brother out of nowhere."

Aiden raised his shoulders.

"Actually, I am not so sure either. How she knew about me. I never got to ask her that."

Yuna swiped her phone checking up on her contacts.

"Where did you meet her, Ni-san? No, actually what's her name?" Yuna tilted her head.

Aiden laughed awkwardly not sure how to answer the latter part. Even if he was confident that Kaguya was a fake identity, his own age wasn't one suited to be playing detectives, neither was he good at gossip like the girls.

What's more? Usually, Aiden doesn't talk about his work to his sister just like she didn't talk about her school life with him. There are lots of shady things that Aiden had done before which would probably not have been a good idea to share with a teenager like her.

*Cough*

Aiden cleared his throat.

"She joined my hunter group today claiming to be an E rank. But I think... I mean I have a hunch that she is probably D rank or higher than that."

Aiden was a little late to notice. But as soon as Yuna heard the word hunter, her face had already turned pale.

"An awakened?" she asked her voice spluttering.

"Yeah... she calls herself Kaguya Otsutsuki for some reason."

"Kaguya?" Yuna's face turned even paler.

Aiden could only tilt his head in confusion.

'Did the Otsutsuki clan really descend from fantasies or what?'

"Yuna? Are you okay?"

Yuna's eyes refocused as Aiden gave her a light shake.

"Ah, yeah. I am okay, ni-san."

"If there is anything troubling you. You can always talk about it with me okay? I will always be there to listen." Aiden smiled looking worried.

"No, Ni-san. You don't have to worry. There is nothing. Rather I was a bit confused. I can't really seem to figure out who she is and I can swear that there is no one amongst my friend with that name. I mean it would have been cool if there was one but no, there isn't."

"I see"

Aiden nodded. But deep down he was thinking something else.

'That's pretty hard to believe you know?' Aiden thought.

Aiden looked back at the three encounters that he had with Kaguya. Even a fool would understand that at least from Kaguya's side she was pretty obsessive in the worst possible ways with his sister, Yuna.

'Perhaps, I should have secretly clicked a picture. But then again she was totally covered and it would basically be harassment to click one without permission.'

Aiden shook her head. But then something clicked through his mind.

'Wait a second. Completely covered? That was not it right?'

how could Aiden forget? Those pale blue eyes that threatened to strangle him any moment?

'Perhaps, Yuna might remember with that.'

Aiden turned towards her.

"Keeping aside her weird name. She had pale blue pupils that had a murky feel to them which also stood out quite a lot. Do you perhaps have a recollection? Not many people in our country would have such an eye color."

"Pale Blue..." Yuna muttered under her breath. "Yeah, I do know someone like her. I will try to contact her and find out."

"I see."

Aiden sighed.

'Hmm, this is really suspicious.'

Aiden didn't know what to make out of Yuna's weird reactions, but...

The Future Foundation School that Yuna studied in was supposed to be a school of Elites. Dungeon Diving would be too crude of a job for any of them. And they should have better options than being a D rank hunter or so.

If they were higher rank then it would make much more sense for them to choose that carrier path. But why would such a person dive into an E rank dungeon anyway? It made no sense.

'Not to mention her unethically sharp tongue that spoke like a brute. Are meritorious children raised to talk that way? And she seemed to be really after my tail!'

Aiden had a hunch that this friend of Yuna joined his group just to curse Aiden for being worthless of a brother. And while he didn't completely disagree with it, but Aiden still thought that it was a bit far-fetched of a thing to do.

'I mean. Do people really have so much free time on their plates? Well, at least I got none.'

"Yuna, is the one you are talking about someone from your school?"

"Yes! I mean no. We are fellow hobbyists! That's all."

"Are you close with her?"

Aiden asked staring into her eyes. Aiden had basically raised Yuna for so long. No lies would go past him if Yuna were to lie on this.

But it would be a completely different matter if she chose to dodge the question. Aiden won't be asking her anything anymore then. Aiden was trying his best to not pry into her life, after all.

"Yeah, somewhat..." Yuna looked away.

'She isn't lying...'

Aiden sighed.

"Yuna, I won't question your choice of friends. It is your freedom to choose them. But don't you think she is a bit too much? She had a really sharp tongue and cusses on the drop of a hat. I can't say that I am happy with you hanging out with her. I don't want you to turn out like her."

Yuna smiled awkwardly.

"Yeah she is a bit bad with her choice of words but she is good at heart. If you filter out her words she is a good person..."

Aiden shrugged not sure how to react to that.

'So, Yuna doesn't even believe me now, huh?'

Aiden was a bit sad learning that Yuna was putting her own friends over his brother's words.

'Well, that's a teenager for you. She must be finding my words really annoying.'

Aiden was somewhat wounded by the fact that Yuna didn't even question why her brother held such an opinion of her friend.

The gap in their ideologies was bound to create an eventual crack in their relationship. It was always there but it was growing more and more lately.

There wasn't much of a difference in age between Aiden and Yuna per se. A generation gap shouldn't have existed.

But Aiden had to sacrifice his teenage life to food on the table. He might be experienced in dungeons and as such but he had no idea what youngsters of his age were interested in. He never got to indulge in any of those. As such even a gap was naturally formed.

'If she chooses to defend her then so be it.'

In the end, Aiden's troubles were his own and weren't worth sharing with her when Yuna was not even interested in listening. Aiden wanted to say that Kaguya threatened him a bunch and even tried to strangle him once, but what was the point?

But there was one problem though.

At the end of the day, a brother would always worry about his sister no matter how much the sister drifts apart from the brother. No matter how little trust Yuna had over him, he had to do what he had to do.

Aiden smiled.

"I see. If you think so then fine. But this girl, on her first day, tried to strangle a member of our team, you know?"

"What!? That's impossible!" Yuna cried in disbelief, "Are we even on the same page?"

Aiden sighed. There she went again.

"It's okay whatever you choose to believe but, I am worried about your safety. I want you to be careful around her. And while I always wish you would avoid her completely but I don't want to pry into your personal space. If you sense anything suspicious or find anything dangerous, send me a message immediately okay? I will rush where ever you are as soon as possible."

Aiden never really considered the credibility of his statement. If Kaguya really were to aim to harm his sister with a serious mind would he even be able to do anything against her? Kaguya had already proved her strength and while Aiden was still technically an awakened, he couldn't do anything against a combat class like her. Not to mention her mysterious rank.

Indeed, Aiden's words weren't reliable at all! But it was his genuine feelings that he conveyed. Cause no matter what sort of danger his family was in he would rush in regardless of possibilities and weaknesses.

Yuna who understood this as well, fell into a complete silence not sure what to say.

"Okay, ni-san... I will avoid her from now on," Yuna claimed, so as to not worry her brother over it.

But...

'She lied,' Aiden thought.

Aiden who could easily see through Yuna's eyes lies being familiar with her the most couldn't pass it unnoticed. But he didn't say anything anymore.

It didn't need any more confirmation than this.

Aiden was sure now that there was a permanent dent between both of their relationships. She had trust issues with him and her friends took more importance.

Since when did the dent emerge? Aiden had no clue when it all started but he knew that the end was approaching. It was gradually coming forth. Soon it would be time to let her go.

Aiden forced a smile.

"Good girl," he gave a light pat on her head as he wished in his heart for her safety.

Me: Oof, I think this chapter is a masterpiece. *nods* If this doesn't gain me supporters, I don't know what will.

My subconscious: *gigles* Who knows? Maybe smut. Kek Kek.

Me: *Bonk*

10