Cycle 4 (Director)
129 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Director looked at Admin 4 over her glasses.

"Why can't your player go solo?" she asked.

Admin 4 fidgeted. "She can't walk."

The Director continued to watch him. "What do you mean, 'she can't walk'?"

"I don't know, she… doesn't seem to have the ability to move her feet. Usually she's a fairy, and if her partner isn't carrying her she flies," he explained.

"Is there something wrong with her physically?" the Director asked.

"No, ma'am."

"Then she should walk. If she chooses not to, then her being left behind is your fault for sending me bad players."

She saw his knuckles turn white as he gripped his chair's armrests. He almost spoke, paused, and took a deep breath.

"Fire is a good player," Admin 4 said steadily. "She's minmaxed to hell and has an intuitive understanding of the magic system. Her partner is a strong fighter, and together they're one of my best teams. In my dungeon her inability to walk was rarely an issue. I stand by my decision to send her here, and request you allow her to form a party with her partner."

The Director sighed. "Admin 6 requested I change two of his player's races. I allowed it on the condition that they would be confined to Floor 1 for the duration of the cycle. If I allow your players to form a party, I'll have to impose the same restriction."

Admin 4 frowned. "If… If that's the restriction, then I request you change her into a fairy."

"Only her? Not her partner as well?" the Director asked.

"If I may, I'll inform him of the situation and ask what he prefers."

"Fine." She sat back, thinking. "Will all the Admins come through here asking for allowances for their players? I've had two so far, and we're only on Cycle 4."

"Possibly," Admin 4 said, pulling up a screen to compose a message. "I don't think a single player in the dungeon is completely fine mentally. You're forcing people into situations they may have been avoiding; some are going to react badly."

The Director nodded slowly. "Very well. Let the other Admins know that if a player needs their race changed, I will do it but lock them on Floor 1."

"Yes, ma'am."

 

*****

 

Steel shook his head, taking Fire's hand. "I won't leave you by yourself."

"I will be fine," she told him, staring at his new cat ears. "I will take a small vacation. It will be relaxing."

"Are you sure?" he asked quietly.

"Yes." She gently tugged his ear. "This race is fascinating. Why did you never try it in the old dungeon?"

"Debuff to strength," he said, hitting reply to the Admin's message. "You're sure you'll be ok?"

Fire gave him a rare smile. "I believe you may not be ok, but I can survive a cycle alone."

He smiled, typing as she focused on his new tail.

"Use teleport," she said absently.

Steel hit send. "Sorry?"

"The last ten floors… If your teleport is high enough and you remain stealthy, you can get through all of them without fighting. The slime maze will be the hardest, but the catgirl spy may have a way of easily defeating them. Teleport over the floors and you'll be back here in a few days."

That sounded like cheating, but he nodded.

Fire nodded back, her big eyes locked on his.

"I'll see you in a few days," Steel said, much more confidently than he felt.

She nodded again. "I-"

He got to his feet, waiting.

"I will miss you," she said quickly, looking away.

"I will miss you, too." He took her hand again and squeezed it before stepping away. "Don't forget to eat. If someone shows up before me, try to make friends. Please don't burn anything to the ground. And stay safe. Bye."

"Good-bye, Steel…"

13