Chapter 1
9 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a 7-meter by 8-meter room, two men look at each other. One sits on a steel chair, his body held down by thick ropes. His gray hair is an oily mess, and his bare muscle-covered body is ladened with puss-filled bruises. His eyebrows are burned off and his left eye has been scooped out.

Across him, resting his elbows on the steel table separating them, on a similar seat completely free is a man wearing a fox-themed kabuki mask. Wearing a black full-body coat he holds a stuffed folder in his right hand. Before speaking he spits at the old man sitting across from him. "Ptui. Hello there Albert. I must say I'm quite happy to see you. You haven't aged a day past 72. Do you feel the same, my lovely angel?"

Ignoring the man's provocation, Albert smiles. In response the masked man does nothing, instead, he continues to speak. "Albert B. Dryden. Age 72. Birthday is November 13th, 1952. Born in Annapolis, Maryland, and given to a local church to be raised. At the age of 10, you found your home burned to the ground and your nun mother dead and crucified. Is this all correct?"

Suddenly, for the first time since he was captured, Albert Frowns. "You should know, no?"

Surprised the masked man goes silent. "Hehe. Of course, I do Al. Unfortunately, my bosses have yet to understand that you can't be intimidated."

Switching from a frown to a smile Albert responds. "Quite the clever little fox you are." He said sarcastically.

"Yes, yes I am. Now onto the real questions. One, where is your base camp located?"

Once again they both go silent. After a few seconds, Albert responds. "No answer."

Smack*. Standing up the masked man pulls his hand back after slapping Albert. "So where is it?"

"Sigh*, still no answer." He smugly said.

The masked man stands up and walks to Albert. Directly behind him, he starts talking. "You know Albert both of us have been through a lot." Suddenly the masked man jabs a thumb into Albert's bad eye. "Though you've certainly had a worse time than usual lately. I know you think the pain is worth it. This is just you paying for your sins."

Interrupting the masked man he speaks. "Y-you K-kn-know me...me so well."

Annoyed the masked man violently twist his thumb even harder. "Yes. Well then, why are you still alive? It must be because you want to return to Maribelle, right? Well, the only ones left for you are your fellow sinners."

Albert begins to violently shake. His breathing goes rough and his face goes red. "What Did You Do To Her!"

Suddenly the man takes off his mask revealing a handsome middle-aged man with blue eyes and scarlet hair. Across his face is a scar a thumb thick, the skin on his cheeks appearing dried and rough. "I killed her, father"

Looking at the familiar face across him red tears fall from what was his eyes. "......Elias?"

Hearing Alberts suddenly gentle voice he frowns. "Yup. So tell me, do you plan to kill me? After all you put mom through. After you buried the wrong boy. Tell me! What Do You Plan To Do Father!" Elias slams the table tears falling from enraged eyes.

Seeing this Albert decides it's time to help the world like he always said he would. "I love you." Suddenly he bites his tongue. Elias immediately restrains his father, the back door opening as several medics run in. Elias resists the urge to punch his father and forces his mouth open, Finding that his tongue has been severed.

"Shit!" He screams as he notices a pill fall from a hollow point inside his tongue into his throat. Immediately he forces his hand into his throat, trying to grab the pill or make Albert vomit. Unfortunately, the pill dissolved the moment it was exposed to his throat.

As his mind grows duller Albert thinks to himself, "I guess I won the battle but lost the war." He begins to wait for his mind to vanish."

1 second
2 seconds
5 seconds
15 seconds
1 minute

Suddenly he hears a familiar voice. "Wake up Albert. You're not dead."

Opening his eyes he sees someone who should be dead. "The fuck?" In front of him is his wife. Her face is wrinkled with heavy crow's eyes. Her eyebrows just like her hair are a dull grey. Wearing a pink and purple floral print dress. Together they stand in an empty white void. One smiling and the other stone-faced.

Without hesitation, he moves for the kill but before he can move she vanishes. After years of killing and torturing he knows full well when someone is lying. As such he knows full well that his son wasn't lying when he said Maribelle is dead. He knows that he lied about killing her but he was telling the truth when he said she's dead.

"Oh, why so bloodthirsty? This isn't hell, you know. I assume you think this is new-fangled torture that your enemies have come up with. Don't worry you're dead. You can start believing in god again. Hooray, right?"

Standing still he looks at her. "So what do you want?"

Seeing him calm down the self-proclaimed god walks towards him. "Nothing really. You're here because you have a strong soul. Just like many others, you get to go to a better world. Of course, you have to do a few things for me."

"Like what?"

"Same thing you did while living. Kill the sinners with power over others."

"...I refuse. Just let me die."

Hearing his response she goes silent. Just as she expected, Albert is quite the stubborn man. "Too bad. Anyways the world I'm sending you is pretty game-like. There are gods that interact with the people and there are fantasy races and such. So you get a system and a god's blessing."

Annoyed, Albert sighs. "Sigh*, If I have no choice, I don't want any of your god's blessing or any of that crap."

"Then you won't be able to understand anyone and I'll have to isolate you from the system. You will be in a land of gods and titans as a mortal incapable of growth. Are you sure?"

Without hesitation, Albert nods. "I can just learn the local language and I refuse to believe that mortals like me can do nothing without your help. After all, earth has done well enough without you."

Suddenly a violent bloodlust comparable to Albert's explodes from the woman. "Okay then. You will have no support from me or any of the gods. No system, no language support, and no magic. Now go ahead, little mortal. Have fun. And just because I like you sooo much I'll have you stop aging. Good look explaining that. And no you can't kill yourself."

"Alright."

The moment they finish talking space begins to warp. Shining blue grass fills the ground. Giant red trees as wide as small houses and seemingly as tall as the sky sprout from the ground. Moss covers their roots as flowers and bushes grow around the base of each tree. Gentlemspots of light dance on the rugged ground as the tree's brown leaves dance with the wind.

Seeing all this Albert just has one thing to say. "Where exactly am I?"

2