In The Beginning There Is….
3.3k 23 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence blessed silence surrounded Alex as he breathed his last. He could finally rest, after ten years of suffering. He had served his country loyally, when he returned, he was abandoned by his nation friends and family. Left to try to make a living in peace when all he knew was war.

He does not know how long he rested, nor does he care. All he knows is that the darkness, the silence healed him, no longer does he have nightmares from the war. He is whole once more, He takes a breath and stands up, unconsciously moving his arms to hold the baby that was sleeping on him.

Alex looks around after hearing an odd sound, crying, not something he expected to hear right after such a long time with silence. A young girl was curled up in a ball, his heart melted seeing this. Unable to just sit by seeing someone being abandoned, he approached the girl. He then picked her up, she cuddled into his arms quieting as she did so.

It is rare to see someone care about one of the lost, from the damage on her soul she is most likely a twin that lost her other half permanently.”

He looked towards the sudden voice in the void. A young woman stood in front of him, dressed in a simple if revealing white dress. Honey blond hair flowed unbound down her back, reaching at least her waist. Sky blue eyes look at him, a gentle smile on her face. Her build defined youthful elegance, that was set off by the dress that hugged her form perfectly.

Is there something we can do for her?”

You can take the place of the lost twin; this will be permanent.”

He nods his head, “I will do it.”

She smiles, "I am Devi, and I will be your guide through your reincarnation. Due to the fact you took on a new sister and what happened to you both, you were selected for reincarnation. I know you will have questions however please save them until the end. Now please follow me and we will go over the different options.”

Devi then opened a door that was not there before, leading them into what Alex thought of as an office. Compared to what he is familiar with, it looked like one of those rooms you would see on a spaceship. Clean metallic surfaces, holograms floating above them.

Before we get into everything, it is in my best interest to provide you with good advice. I can only say that my becoming divine requires a certain number of people to be happy in their next life.”

Alex chuckles at that, “thank you for your candidness with this. It is refreshing to see, as long as it makes sense, I will take your advice into consideration.”

Devi grins, “back to the options.”

The most popular options seem to be the hero, demon lord or dungeon core packs. Do any of those interest you?”

Alex thought about it for a minute, “no they all sound like more trouble than they are worth.”

She smiles at your answer, “I get that, hmm, then a custom will probably work the best. Come sit down this can take some time.” She waves him over to a set of chairs off to one side, taking one for herself as she pulls a floating screen over to her.

Let's start with the basics, with a custom build you start with 100 points, based on your choices points will be added or removed. Any extra will be used to boost your luck in the next world, if it is negative, it will decrease your luck. You can choose to add certain things that will boost the number of points you have access to; would you like to list the main options now?”

Alex nodded, “first could you define luck a bit more?”

Sure, in this instance luck stands for boosting your starting stat and can add random things to everything that help as long as you are in the green points wise.”

Thank you, can I see the list now?”

There you are.”

The two biggest are accepting the Hero and demon lord titles, other options are becoming the champion of a divine being, starting a divine tube live stream. Would you like to hear more about any of them?”

Could you tell me more about the live stream?”

She nods, “good option, the live stream will give 500-5000 extra points depending on the settings. Basically, it will let divine and higher beings watch you without having to use their own power. The settings I mentioned have to do with their ability to influence you through the stream. I can go through all the options, however before that, I will go over my suggested settings that will net you the best outcome with minimum interference from others.”

She pauses to take a breath. “With these settings any bets made will net you some system points that will be usable in store, others can donate them and subscribe as well. Others will be able to post optional quests that you can choose to take on for the rewards. Anyone who wants to watch any X-rated content will have to pay for it. There are safeguards put in place to prevent others from using the stream to force you to do anything. This will net you 1000 extra points for your reincarnation, to get more will leave loopholes others can manipulate.

Alex though about it, “will this make it, so my sister has the same thing?”

No, due to how short her life was she gets a free pass for a good life, if I could, I would give you something. The best I can do is make sure nothing bad happens. She will gain some bonuses from this though, without any of the obligations.” She smiles at his caring nature.

Next question, will there be a chat that I can see for the stream?”

Yes, though you will need to call it, the system will go over how to do all that once you get access to it. Before you ask, the system will go over everything with you once you can use it. From stream controls to how to use the things you get from it.”

He nods, “thank you, I will do it with the recommended settings you mentioned.”

Moving on, you now have 1100 points. Let's talk worlds, there are some basics you should know. First is age, the age of a world will determine what can be found on it in terms of hidden treasure and the like. Second is there is a limited amount of knowledge I can share with you about the worlds. Here is a list of available worlds, feel free to ask any questions.” She moved her floating screen to be in front of Alex.

He then looked it over.

World Options.

  1. Xor, A world is almost constantly having several major wars going on at one time. Cost: -500

  2. Tarenth, A world has been devastated by several worldwide natural disasters, recovery has just started. Cost: -300

  3. Aniva, A world with several secret societies waging wars in the shadows. Cost: -100

  4. Tal'vorra, A world where a great war just ended. Cost: 0

  5. Terra, A fairly new world where peace has been maintained for several years. Cost: 100

  6. Locath, A older world that has known no great wars. Cost: 300

  7. Cerinith, An ancient world, has laws in place to prevent wars. Cost: 500

Can you tell me more about Locath and Cerinith?”

She nods, “I will share what I can, Locath has several continents. With the age of the planets there should be a decent number of things to find. Cerinith has two continents and a massive number of islands that once made a third. The laws where set in place after a planetary war led to the destruction of the third island. Out of all the choices, Cerinth is the best choice. Ancient worlds like that will easily make up for anything you might end up needing to pass on due to picking it.”

Alex nodded, fully understanding what she was saying. “Then I will go with Cerinth.”

She smiles and takes back the screen, entering something on it. “Next will be choosing a build for your new life, you will be able to pick several modules that will shape what skills you will be able to gain. Everyone can normally start with 3 with the option to get more for 100 points each. I would suggest getting at least one additional module, it will help in the long run. Here is a list, luckily the modules normally do not have a cost to them.” She moves the screen in front of him again.

Alex pauses for a moment, “If you can tell me what era is this world in? It will effect what I choose.”

Devi facepalms when she hears this, “I knew I was forgetting something. You will be reincarnated into a world of sword and magic.”

Alex frowned as he looked at the different categories. Magic, Physical, utility, survivability, and noncombat is what he saw. Starting from the top he clicked on Magic, more tabs became visible. DoT, Direct, Healing, Debuffing, Buffing, and Auxiliary. He then looked at Devi.

I think I need help; it has been some time sense I played any sort of game. Can you provide some sort of outline for me to use?”

Devi smiles at him, “sure, to start with I will ask some questions to help me aid you. First one. Do you see yourself in the thick of the fighting or in the back using ranged weapons?”

I would like to be in the thick of it, though having some ranged options would be nice just in case.”

Ok next question, do you see yourself using heavy armor and taking a beating while delivering the same, or avoiding damage and dealing it in quick succession?”

Somewhere in the middle, I like to be able to take some hits while still avoiding other hits.”

Simple one this time, magic, yes or no.”

Yes, I see it being too useful to ignore.”

Devi reached out for the screen, doing something to it that is too fast for him to track. “From what I heard from you it sounds like you want to be a magic warrior. Not as tanky as the knight version or as squishy as the rouge version. For something like that I would take a weapon master, offensive magic, defensive magic and a job module.”

Sounds good to me, pass it back after you cleaned it out a bit.”

She did so, now he was looking at tabs that showed what she mentioned before. He opened the weapon master one, there is a long list of different options for weapons. He is tempted to go for one of the more exotic types like scythe. However, the reasonable voice in his head told him to go with something a little more common due to it being simpler to get a powerful one of those from a lost tomb of something like that. After some more thought he went with blade master, it allows for a large number of blade types under it making it useful and flexible.

Next, he moved onto offensive magic, applying the same logic as before he looked through them. Adding other logic, like removing some that could draw the wrong kind of attention. After removing most of the more exotic options he was left with mostly with elements. He thought of ice, though something about it pushed that option back. Acid could be good though the wounds might draw attention, so it and poison were thrown out. Earth would be good in the next pick not this one though. Wind just seemed a bit boring and he was not that interested in being an airhead. In the end he went with fire, it should not draw to much attention. He also was exposed to some nasty sources of fire and explosions in the war and wanted to see if he can make use of that knowledge.

After going through all that he had an idea what he wanted for his defensive magic. He immediately sorted out and non-earth related magics. That is when he saw it, metal. It would work well with fire and what he has in mind for his job.

He then opened up the job list, immediately selecting blacksmith a grin on his face.

Fire Elementalist: Grants the person the ability to use the element fire. Aids in learning fire spells.

Blade Master: grants someone increased affinity with blades of all kinds

Metal Elementalist: Grants the person the ability to use the variant element mental. Aids in learning metal spells.

Blacksmith: grants someone increased affinity with blacksmithing.

Good picks, they will work well together, and you have a fall back for once you are done adventuring. Now on to the last step, picking out your race. You can go through all the races if you want, or if you want for 200 points you can select the rare random pack. Normally you would only be able to pick out up to an uncommon race. Technically you can go higher, though that can open you up to other influences.”

He took one look at the frankly massive list of races and passed it back to her.

You have yet to steer me wrong from what I can tell so let's go with the rare random pack. That will leave 300 to be spent on luck. I am just getting a headache just looking at that list.”

Your new life will start soon, good luck Alex, I will hope into your stream once it starts.”

How is it compared to the other one?
  • great Votes: 17 13.5%
  • solid Votes: 65 51.6%
  • ok Votes: 28 22.2%
  • meh Votes: 12 9.5%
  • worse Votes: 4 3.2%
Total voters: 126
54