Chapter 3: Sea of Data
283 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Say what?"

"You don't have any talent in magic, Milord."

"…"

I fell silent as I try to absorb what Celso had said to me. To be honest, it never crossed in my mind that I would find myself in such a dilemma until now, despite knowing the "actual routine" of someone who got transmigrated to another world.

If I have to follow the cliched logic from major Isekai novels, then there are two possible issues that I should deal with right now. It's either I have transmigrated here with a cheat or I never have any cheats to begin with.

And as much I want for myself to be categorized in the former, apparently it isn't to be the case for me.

Oh well, there is no point crying over spoiled milk. I've just got to accept the reality that even in this new life of mine, I still got the short end of the stick.

"Does my father know?"

"Y-Yes, he knows."

I see. So Andres knows about his son's lack of magic talent. That explains why I can't find any magic-related discussions or anything of sort in Cielo's memories.

I wonder how did he found out?

"May I ask how?"

The chamberlain was looking at me with a confused expression though he immediately replied to answer my query nonetheless.

"Um… When Your Lordship was still an infant, Lord Andres measured your magical aptitude using a Magic Crystal."

"Magic Crystal?"

I raised my brow after hearing that. Several images popped in my head, most of them were in ball shapes like the one used mostly by fortunetellers in circus.

Yeah I know, that was my mind going stereotypical…

"It is a hexagon-shaped crystal that emits light as a reaction of being in contact with a person who have mana. I believe that Lord Andres kept one in his desk drawer, if I recall."

"In here?"

My eyes were then fixed on the black wooden desk. It had several drawers so I took the liberty of looking through them until I saw a purple pouch inside.

Taking it with my hands, I slowly opened the contents and true to the chamberlain's words, there was a colorless crystal shaped in a hexagon pattern. Its size is roughly 5 inches long and about 2 inches thick, I assume. Also its appearance resembled like the crystals that a bald guy robbed in a superhero movie that I used to watch in the past.

The moment that the smooth, glass-like surface touched my palms, it emitted a soft yet faint white glow like a small LED lamp the size of a pingpong ball.

I was truly astonished by this. My logic and reasoning that was literally indoctrinated by a systematic enterprise known as "science" could not comprehend what was happening. Crystals, as far as I know, does not emit light of its own without first absorbing light first from outside sources such as sunlight… unless the crystal in question is a power source itself which is scientifically impossible as modern science have taught me.

Another thing is that it is giving off heat comparable to a fridge's condenser tubing which is also a contradiction.

This thing feels alien…in every way.

"Tell me, Celso. This small faint light…"

"Is the total amount of Milord's magic power, unfortunately."

There was a small frown on Celso's face as he finished the words I ought to say for me. Perhaps he was concerned for my emotional state considering that I am a ten year-old kid (physically) who was still mourning his father's recent passing.

Now, coupled with the revelation that his talent in magic is almost to zero, every adult would feel sorry for me.

"Is there a natural way to increase one's magical power?"

I could not help but raised that question. In some literary works that I had read in the past, a person's magic power can be increased using items such as an elixir or secret concoction. And if this world is really a fantasy one, then items like those should exist.

Maybe.

"If Milord is referring by training, it is sadly impossible. Though there are elixirs and magic items that can raise one's magic power or aptitude, those things are very expensive that even if Milord sells the entire barony, I'm afraid that it won't be enough to purchase even one elixir."

That much?

Well I guess, that is reasonable considering that items like those are pretty much like how one in my previous world treat high quality jewelries like diamonds or rubies. 

Though from that piece of information, I can fully form a conjecture or a hypothesis that the amount of magic an individual has is determined upon their birth. If you are born with low magic aptitude or power then that's about it. There's nothing you can do but accept that fact, even if that pill happens to be bitter to swallow.

But that's okay. In the first place, managing this small barony was my top priority and learning magic is only second to that. And since I have no talent for it, the next best thing to do is to surround myself with people who have favorable magic aptitudes.

"Milord your hand…!"

Celso's sudden interjection caused me to halt my internal monologue. There was a look of horror in his face as his vision is fixed on my hand holding the Magic Crystal which…

"Hm?"

…Is now being enveloped by a white ball of light the size of a men's basketball.

In addition to that, my hand felt it was being soaked in a lukewarm water that came out from a Thermos…and I didn't even felt it the first time!

What in the world…!?

And as both Celso and I were rooted to our place due to the bizarre scene happening right in front of us, the mysterious ball of white suddenly popped out of existence like bubbles.

Then without any warning,

"!"

I was assaulted by a peculiar sensation as my body became heavier and due to the abruptness of it, I was forced myself to kneel on the ground in an instant as my vision began to blur.

"Milord!"

I could hear the chamberlain's shout though for some reason, they were muffled. Distorted even. It felt like my body was being submerged underwater that is invisible to the naked eye.

The word "sea" came to mind as I try to get hold of my bearings.

Then the discomfort subsided, as if the sea had calmed itself. I can felt its waves through my entire build as it gently smashed against me like I was a jagged rock sprouted from the very depths of the beach.

After catching a few breaths, I slowly opened my eyes and-

"Eh?" 

What I saw is the usual landscape, only that there are unfamiliar things which didn't exist in the first place. The chairs, desk, and even the floor, they were all the same except for the set of numbers and letters floating around them. Aside from that, there are now white glitter-like specks floating inside the room which did not exist beforehand.

"Milord?"

I turned my head towards Celso who is also now showcasing weird yet somewhat familiar boxes hovering around his entire body. In instinct, I covered my eyes with my left hand as I try to quell the discomfort that is beginning to swell within me.

I took a peek on Celso's build and the sight alone was really bizarre though I notice something.

For some reason, those numbers and letters have a resemblance to my old world...

2