Chapter 6 – Seeds of Doubt
146 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

"Stop Izaya, huh?"

Kazuki stared out the window from his bed while he pondered Ms. Sadohara's request a few days back. His hands instinctively hovered to his belly, which gave him an impulsive jolt.

"It's much harder when we have so few options. Ms. Sadohara cannot locate Euphoria, and we have to just keep waiting for that Fragment to pop up."

Shifting his weight to his side, he turned to his trusty phone.

Glancing past the latest additions to his phone book, he pushed Shiki's name to bring up the list of messages.

The latter had been giving him updates on what's going on with a lot of people after the "earthquake" that struck Fuyusato Academy. Besides Misawa's not-so-clickbaity articles recently, Shiki had become his top source of information on what's going on with his schoolmates these two weeks.

Thankfully, the ones in the infirmary when he had his breakdown were the only ones who sustained any injuries from the incident. Everyone else had gone on living their lives ignorant, as if nothing more than a freak disaster happened.

There were people with almost no recollections of the event at all, which Kazuki just assumed were the one who got petrified almost immediately. People, including Shizaki and teachers like Mr. Tsuda and Ms. Ichika probably did not last even five minutes, given their testimonies of the incident.

There were those who had recollections of dreams of varying accuracy, and he assumed those were the people who lasted long enough to experience some of the horrors of the Temple of Recollections.

Having checked out the latest news concerning the school and people there, Kazuki got up with the team's plan of action being in his mind.

The deal with the Magna Arbiter had become a bit more complicated than he would have liked.

Upbeat music greeted him the moment he opened the door to the living room.

Hikari, wearing a striped tank top, lay on the sofa, her full attention on a live concert that's playing on the TV.

"Is that the signed copy you got?"

His little sister nodded. "Kimura's super nice. She even gave me all those freebies that she stowed away for herself back when she's active. Seeing as she claimed to have given Shiki a lot, I wonder how many does she really have."

"Yeah, she is," he replied, being enthralled by Kimura's dance on the screen. "A lot has happened, but after the Chronodome concert, I think I've also become quite her fan."

"Well you better. Especially after that kiss at the hospital."

Kazuki awkwardly chuckled at his sister's cute pout.

Oh, we've been through way more than that.

How can he even explain the full story? When he heard of his sister's comments on him knowing Kimura personally, he always had this urge to tell stories of their adventures and trials together.

For several reasons, such a thing was impossible.

Unfortunately, Hikari had gotten involved in Mu's machinations enough times already, and he did not want to open the topic up to her once again. For now, it's better off that Mu, the shadowy hands, and the Temple of Recollections be figments of a long dream she once had.

Before he can move on to the kitchen to get a glass of water, he noticed an envelope on the table.

"What is this?" he asked while picking it up. "May I?"

"Oh, it just came in. Maria invited me to her birthday party this weekend," she said with a grin on her face. Right afterwards, she paused the video before taking the envelope from Kazuki. "Sana will be there, too."

"So, where is it going to be?"

For her answer, Hikari opened the envelope and flipped the pamphlet open. Kazuki's eyebrows rose when he saw the picture.

"Wait a minute, isn't that..."

His eyes were not deceiving him alright. Pictured on the invitation was an exquisite shot of Samsara.

The grand hotel complex covered almost ten hectares of land, rightfully shoved all the way to a reclaim connected to Melissa Road near the northern end of Shiroki City.

It boasted hundreds luxury stores, high-end restaurants, a casino, and even a theater. Given how high society the place was, it was not the most accessible place for anyone that he knew, but he figured that touring head honchos of multi-national companies would likely find that hotel the perfect place to throw their money away.

"Uh-huh! Maria's family is suuuuuper rich. She's the daughter of politicians, after all."

"That explains it," responded Kazuki before putting the invitation back. "You'll need someone to accompany you, I assume?"

"Maria's parents have arranged everything for the entire class. We're going to be a guided tour of the mall and the indoor theme park courtesy of her family."

"W-what?! Her parents own the place?"

As he looked at the nodding Hikari, he wondered why he had never heard of this Maria person before. Someone like her would, by all means, have stuck out like a sore thumb. At least Reijy Ishida did in Fuyusato Academy.

"How come I never heard of her?"

"You never asked, Big Bro. She also just recently returned from a long trip abroad," she shrugged.

To think that hilariously rich and powerful families like that existed in real life. The Ishidas are something, but they've never flaunted it the way these people did.

"This afternoon, I'll go to Regalis Shopping Complex and get the accessories that she had always wanted. I think I have saved enough for it," said the little sister.

"No, no, no. Hikari, let me help you out for today instead as a show of thanks."

"Huh?"

Addressing his sister's wide, blinking eyes, Kazuki smiled.

"With how much effort you've put in taking care of me these two weeks, I figured this is the least I can do. I've also been raring to go out ever since my injury, so taking the trip to Regalis sounds good. Now, how much are we talking about for that gift of hers?"

2

How long has it been since he dropped by Regalis Shopping Complex? Hikari almost always did the shopping for home essentials.

All the more that he had to volunteer and be useful for once.

It had taken a while to find the accessories that Maria supposedly loved so much, but he got them with little effort.

Surprisingly, they were not too expensive at all. There seemed to be a truth to the stereotype of the rich not wanting anything to do with luxury.

Wading through the bustling peak hour crowd in Regalis, he got a good look at the stores, including some new ones that recently opened.

The months had passed by, but some things didn't change... for the most part.

"Pre-order your copies of Eternal Fighter 4 now!" invited a uniformed person who stood outside the gaming store. He handed Kazuki a pamphlet of the newest installment of the hit fighting game, something that he and Shiki did not have much time to play these months.

The whole business of being an Awakener had turned his life upside down. Kazuki regardless felt that it was a nice change of pace.

He was thrust into this life out of necessity. It felt like fate brought him here. He may not have liked it a few months ago, but looking back, he did not feel bad about it at all.

Had he not wandered off to Aria Alley that fateful night, he would not have gotten involved with Uehara, Sadohara, and the others. He probably wouldn't have known what to do when Amagi let loose at Tenka Peak. He wondered where he would be had he not gone to Aria Alley.

Of course, along with the exciting experiences came heartbreak, a particularly powerful one still stinging him now.

He had to get working fast. Otherwise, the consequences of Euphoria getting to the Magna Arbiter first would be catastrophic.

"Hey, it's been a while, Arata!"

Hearing his name being called, Kazuki turned around to see the beaming face of the student council president. Kenji Saito. He had his hands placed behind his head, and he walked in a very relaxed and loose manner. Around him were members of Fuyusato Academy's engineering club.

"'Sup? I won't say I expected to see you here, Pres. How's it been?"

"We're doing fine. I miss school and you guys. The last time I saw you, you were such a mess, so running into you like this makes me happy. Also, you looked surprised. Expected to see me with the student council, I guess?"

Kazuki nodded.

"Ahh, well... school's been suspended for a while now, but the engineering club's super cool project will not be delayed. They had to buy some materials, so I offered to help them. These guys are awesome, and it would be a shame if the school suspension will put a halt to their activities."

"What's it about, anyway?"

Saito led with his trademark laugh. "You'll find out soon enough. It's something that we've been brewing up for a while. We'll unleash it from the underground facility once it's ready."

"Underground facility? How come I've never heard about it?"

Saito laughed again. "Of course I'm not talking about campus. But remember that I'm friends with the Ishidas."

Given his humble and friendly demeanor, Kazuki had occasionally forgotten that Kenji Saito was actually one of the key contributors to the Ishida Conglomerate, thereby making him one of the good family friends.

"When we get the time, remind me to tell you about it. I'd even gladly introduce you to the family in the science expo this weekend. There's Yoshihiro and the eldest son Yuichiro, the youngest son Mitsuo, and..."

When he get to Reijy, Saito stopped momentarily. Even the chatting engineering club students saw this change of mood and quieted down.

Kazuki took the initiative and gave his upperclassman a pat on the shoulder.

"Don't worry. We're not the best of pals or anything, but I'm positive that Reijy is alive."

Taken aback, the student council president gave him a baffled expression. Kazuki was likewise surprised as he had never seen the confident Saito look so hopeful and vulnerable.

"Call it an intuition or a gut feel, but I know he's not someone who would let a natural disaster do him in."

"Thanks," replied Saito, returning to his confident profile. "I have a feeling, too. The police said that they'll keep searching for him. When he comes back, I really hope that he'll learn to make amends with everyone, including you, Arata."

Turning back and briskly walking towards a nearby escalator, Kazuki waved goodbye without responding to the topic any further.

"Seeya. Wish you luck in that project of yours."

3

Despite him half-expecting the contrary, nothing out of the ordinary happened to Kazuki as he made his way out of Regalis Shopping Center, Maria's gift in hand.

All the time, his words to the student council president remained in his mind. While for any onlooker, it may be plain words of assurance, the real truth behind the matter disturbed him.

People had not forgotten about Reijy Ishida. Even after he fell down the top of the Temple of Recollections. Even after he had been dissected by the Magna Arbiter and driven to the brink of death before doing so.

It proved one thing.

Somehow, Reijy Ishida had survived the ordeal.

Worse yet, he could be the key person with the last remaining powers of the Magna Arbiter, making him the person that he and the group must save from the incoming clutches of Euphoria.

"Of all people," Kazuki softly groaned to himself when he stepped out of the shopping center.

It was there that his eyes turned to the coffee shop, and memories came flooding back. It had only been a few months, but this particular shop, with its fragrant brews and notable terrace, was responsible for a key memory.

This was the place that allowed his path to cross with Sayaka Uehara's. It was that fateful encounter and that ID that kickstarted his life as an Awakener.

"One of these days, I should drop by and –"

He blinked, and his feet stopped. In astonishment, he looked at the very same spot on the terrace from months prior.

Wearing a black off-shoulder dress, Sayaka Uehara quietly sat and enjoyed her coffee. As the beauty's hair swayed in the wind, more memories flooded back into Kazuki's mind.

What are the odds? In the exact spot, too.

All of a sudden, Uehara turned around, and as her eyes met his red ones, she raised her hand in a beckoning motion. Her gaze had caught Kazuki off-guard, and he nearly fumbled Maria's gift before quickly heading up the terrace and meeting her by the table.

"Ogling at girls from afar is a no-no, Arata," calmly reminded the girl.

"S-sorry. I was just surprised, that's all," he apologetically answered. Seeing the unchanging expression of the girl, he continued with a joke. "Can't let another Baihu Gang member hit on you, too."

Uehara raised her eyebrows before giggling.

"Really now?"

Kazuki sighed. "Yeah, sorry. I just can't help but feel that seeing you here again brought back some memories."

"Wondering how things would have been had you not gotten involved in Mu?" asked her before putting the back of her hand against her neck. "I don't think I would have survived to this day. You saved me in more ways than one, Arata, and I thank you for that."

"T-that..."

"You sure did. What could have happened then? The thought of that still gives me the creeps occasionally. Would have I died alone after Dr. Kagami was through with me? Before that, he would have feasted on me with his experiments."

"You don't have to sell yourself short, Uehara! You're so much more skilled in fighting than I am, for one."

"...Thank you," she said as she sipped her coffee. "More importantly, meeting you helped rekindle my resolve. I swore vengeance on the Nullities for the death of Brother, but having a physical representation of him to protect gives me the strength to keep going."

"Oh, I remember. You did mention that I remind you of your brother. I'm probably not as good as he was, though," chuckled Kazuki.

Her hand which was playfully stirring her drink with the straw stopped, and Kazuki looked to see her stare shoot right through him.

The next thing, her brown eyes were already soft and tender. For him, it felt as if they were hiding a repressed sorrow deep within.

"I miss him. I miss him so much, Arata. My heart still aches thinking about him and how much he meant to me."

Biting his lips, Kazuki readied his response, but her words never gave him a chance to.

"I want to see him again. Speaking of, what do you think of Ms. Sadohara's story?"

"Her adventure through Mu with Izaya? I find it hard to believe, but when I step back, everything checks out. I can't believe that she would hide something like that from us, and I am still slightly annoyed. But it could be for the better."

"The Akashic Records. I still had a hard time wrapping my mind around it, but if reality were simply a result of everyone believing something into existence, do you think..."

Seeing her lips tremble, Kazuki hurried to think of something to say. Given the direction of the conversation, he already knew what was on her mind.

Was it that issue that had kept her so bothered after the Magna Arbiter battle and Ms. Sadohara's story?

He wanted to do something for her, but he did not know which direction was the correct one in this situation.

"If you had the power to reshape the world and change reality... Perhaps having the ability to change the truth that Fujiwara's gone, would you do it? If I follow, the Akashic Records can allow its master to change the fact that people believed in, which is 'Akane Fujiwara never existed,' and invert it. Would you do it?"

There it was. Kazuki took a deep breath.

"Are you serious?"

"It's a power that we can use to change how people think and erase their negative emotions, thus wiping out all the Nullities."

Acknowledging Kazuki's succeeding silence, the black-haired girl awkwardly smiled. "Isn't that what we wanted? If we can secure the powers of the Magna Arbiter and find a way to get the Render of Bounds from the enemies, we could open the gate for ourselves and—"

"Just how are we going to do that?"

"W-we'll find a way, somehow. We'll cross the bridge when we get there."

Something really felt off, even for Kazuki. Normally, Uehara was not the one who does things this rashly.

"If I asked you to come with me on the journey, just like Ms. Sadohara did, and help bring back Brother, would you do it?"

When Kazuki looked her in the eye, the act visibly startled her.

"Uehara, I hate to break it to you, but I believe that some things are better left untouched, especially one as powerful as the Akashic Records. The power to rewrite reality by altering everyone's memories... I've seen enough of that in RPGs and anime to say that it's not a good idea, even in reality."

"Y-you're right," replied her, wiping out the longing expression in her face in a blink.

After the uncomfortable silence, the black-haired girl cleared her throat before pointing to her drink.

"Say, want some?"

Just like that, Kazuki sensed that the mood had returned to normal. In fact, it felt even more positive than before.

"Ah, sure."

Without a second thought, he took the iced coffee and took a sip from the straw before stopping at the sound of a gasp. Surprised, he raised his gaze to see Uehara with a hand over her mouth.

"T-that's an indirect kiss, isn't it?!"

Kazuki's eyes shifted between the surprised girl and the straw before gently pushing the coffee container back to her. They had known each other for months, but he had let it slip that his girl, for her cool and stringent personality, can be especially awkward in some of the most unexpected ways.

The atmosphere changed, and Kazuki now felt the dozens of pairs of eyes looking in their general direction.

"I-I-I'll get a new one inside. Sorry, Uehara!" he said, excusing himself from the table.

4

With the whole fiasco done with, Sayaka Uehara had time to gather herself.

What was I thinking?

She pondered to herself while looking aimlessly at the busy street outside the coffee shop. The question had less to do with the embarrassing situation but with her suddenly asking about Ms. Sadohara's story and the Akashic Records.

She cannot believe that Ms. Sadohara had hidden such crucial info from them, but that was secondary to the potential of the Akashic Records had she been telling the truth. Just like that, she understood why Guren Izaya so desperately sought that power.

Fighting the world for the one you love. That is a goal I can sympathize with.

She had been resisting his enticement and provocations in their encounters, but it turned out that they were not so different after all. She had sworn revenge for the sake of her brother, but what if a greater goal lay adjacent to that violent road?

A far greater goal, one that would allow her to see her brother once more.

She quietly reflected her short conversation with the other person she trusted the most. Uehara tried to hide her inner thoughts, but she had hoped for the answer that she wanted out of him.

Of course he would not understand. His circumstances were a lot more similar with Amagi.

How could he when he had Hikari taking care of him? He would never understand the fear and insecurity that she had undergone. He never had to endure an abusive father, and neither had he gone through the pain of losing his only true family member in front of his eyes.

Of course he could not understand how important the hunt for the Akashic Records could be.

"From now on, I want you to share your burden with me."

"Don't worry. Consider your request granted."

The conversation from a few months ago echoed in her mind, and her skin responded to the touch of guilt.

She wasted no time killing that notion.

She had not forgotten her promise back then, but this was an extraordinarily different situation. This matter concerning her brother was something she cannot share to anyone, after all.

"Whew, the place is packed! Sorry I took a while! Here, I also got something for us."

Kazuki's return snapped Uehara back to reality. For a second, her eyes widened at the large slice of cake he brought, but she quickly hid the expression and put on a modest smile. "Sorry for the trouble, Arata."

"I should be the one to apologize. I wasn't thinking," chuckled Kazuki. "So, where were we? Ms. Sadohara's story about Mu, right?"

"Um... Please forget everything you've heard from me."

"Huh, but why?" asked Kazuki just as he began sipping into their coffee and offering the cake to her.

"It's not too important. It's also something I'd like to keep private."

Kazuki raised his eyebrows. "I think it's best to share what's in your mind, though."

"It will just be a distraction to our mission to find the vessel of the Magna Arbiter."

She waited in tense anticipation for what her friend could say. She saw his shrug as a signal to proceed.

"Anyway, what brings you here?" asked her in an attempt to change the topic, taking her first taste of the cake in the process.

"Ah. Hikari has a birthday party to attend to later this week. I volunteered to buy the gift she wanted to give since she had to spend so much more time taking care of me."

"That's not the main reason, is it?" she asked in a teasing tone. "You know, people have been telling me that you have always been extra nice to Hikari. She deserves all the love, but could it be that... you also have quite the sister complex?"

"I-I-I don't!" replied Kazuki, a mild blush forming on his cheeks. "And I don't want to hear that from a brocon!"

Their conversation continued on, and to Uehara's relief, it never returned to the topic of the Akashic Records.

1