Chapter 18 – Did We Lose?
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

Regaining consciousness inside the fresh, air-conditioned air, Sayaka Uehara opened her eyes.

Or so she should have. Unfortunately, she remained trapped in darkness.

Her only sensation came from the cold air that continued to bite her exposed arms and body. However, she found the rest of her body stiff. The culprits: her hands that were bound above her head and her legs that were locked apart by something that felt like a metal rod.

Even more strangely, a cold, metallic object stuck firm over the lower half of her face. It was extremely tight and seemed to hold something like a rubbery ball in mouth.

Which damn pervert did this?

"Mmmm!" She pulled and clenched her arms in indignation, but the things binding them had little to no give.

She panted and muttered curses under her breath. This was a horrible predicament she had experience being in, but she never wanted to ever get used to it.

The malicious energies from Mu had all but disappeared, and that was when she knew that it's all over. She had somehow survived, but she was not sure whether it was better to just have died rather than wake up in some sick pervert's fantasy.

Just what happened?

Her heart pounded, and her struggles against her bonds intensified when she remembered what she had done.

She had run after the phantom, thinking of the tiniest speck of hope of reuniting with her brother.

In her mad pursuit, she had left everyone behind. She then ran. Forward, into the waiting arms of the Fragment's machinations.

In doing so, she had done an unforgivable thing, and if it ended up costing them their lives, she would never be able to forgive herself.

Was it all worth it? For that brief reunion with her brother?

She paused her struggles, letting the question sink in.

Even now, she did not know the answer as her mind and heart produced far different answers.

Before despair can take hold of her, she resumed her struggle. The bindings held tight against her initial attacks, and her hands, feeling a burning sensation, trembled.

The first order would be to detach herself from the ceiling before working on the rest of her restraints.

She writhed in place and bucked before the sound of the door opening stopped her. Instincts kicked in, and she cried for help. 

Hearing the approaching footsteps, her moans grew more desperate before a slap shut her up.

"My, my, look who's awake now. Getting a bit excited, aren't we?" mocked a sultry voice.

After a forceful pull, her blindfold came off.

Seeing the unpleasant woman made Uehara sick, and she glared daggers at Reiya Utara.

In response, Utara just laughed before licking her lips and flaunting the leather corset and gloves she wore.

"This is the second time you've gotten all bound and gagged, hun. By me, too. Are you sure you aren't doing it on purpose?" she mocked.

"Mrrgghh!" Uehara shook her head in defiance.

"Well, I think you are. So we'll do something to fix that," Utara laughed, which received a glare in response. "Shall we start with my toys? Or maybe more bindings in the more... interesting parts to soften you up for interrogation."

Uehara screamed.

She honestly hated the vulnerable position she's in right now. Arms forced above, legs immobilized, and with a rotten woman in front of her. She felt her anger flaring up when Utara grabbed her by the jaw, pinching her cheeks with those fingers of hers.

She forced her eyes open, yet her cheeks told another story to the rotten woman.

"Blushing already? This will be fun," snickered Utara before looking down at her captive's body. "You sure picked a great dress to be caught in. Lots of skin is just my type."

Without a second thought, the black-haired girl tried to kick her captor, only to stutter awkwardly due to the position of her legs, eliciting more laughter.

"I love hearing bitches moan, but I guess I'll throw you a bone for your feistiness."

She reached out and undid the lock, allowing the panel gag to finally slide down. And along with it was an outpouring of saliva that made the girl flinch.

Uehara exhaled, freed from that horrible contraption, but this was no time for relief.

"Finally let your true self out, huh?" she asked sarcastically, eyes fixated on the woman's scandalous attire. "What the hell is with that getup?"

"I'm quite the control freak, you know. Thus, I've decided to dress appropriately."

"Say, where's your boss? I need to talk to him. Capturing me here has got to be that creep's orders, and—!"

"Don't you dare talk about Lord Izaya like that!" shouted Utara, jamming her fingers inside her captive's mouth. "Or I'll shut you up again."

It was the ex-manager's turn to glare with eyes of fury.

"Lord Izaya saved you from that Fragment. If not for him, the Nullity would have killed you, so you better show some damn respect."

Having said that, she pulled her fingers out before licking them, finishing an act that caused Uehara to cough and wince in disgust.

"Saved me?"

"He'll get to you soon enough, but for the meantime, I'll savor this moment and have some fun."

Reiya Utara clicked her tongue, but her scowl quickly shifted into a smile, the sudden shift in tone causing Uehara's heart to pound.

"Shall I get some toys for us to play with? We'll have some fun, and I'll let you know that I don't take it easy on rebellious girls."

Both parties knew what she meant. Her current attire alone left little to imagination.

At the very least, Uehara strived to not get this woman any hint of satisfaction.

Despite putting up a brave façade, Uehara knew deep inside that she was presently helpless against the woman towering over her. She fought against expressions of dread at what was in store before firing off spit that landed squarely on Utara's nose.

Without warning, the woman lunged forward, and gripping Uehara's dress, she tore it open in the middle. Doing so exposed the teenage girl's purple underwear, but even then, the prisoner did not bat an eye.

"It will take more than my exposed body to break me," sneered her in a condescending tone. "Is that all you got?"

"Oh, once I show you my toys, you'll be the one praying for mercy."

The black-haired girl's eyes widened when Utara reached inside her corset. When she found what she's been looking for, a deranged and diabolical smile emerged on her face.

"Your eyes tell me you know what's coming. Let's play, shall we?"

Uehara shook her head violently when the doors opened, and in ran another person.

She had little time to process everything before hearing the sound of impact, and when her eyes reopened, Reiya Utara had been knocked down to the floor.

"What the hell are you doing, Reiya Utara?!" the silver-haired man shouted. "I leave her to you for thirty minutes and you did this?! Get those sick fantasies of yours out of here!"

"Lord Izaya, I..."

"Out!"

Uehara knew little of this person, but she possibly witnessed one of the rare times Guren Izaya's emotions took over.

He had always acted so smug and collected, as if he was on top of the situation. Seeing this eruption was unheard of.

She had prepared herself for a confrontational encounter with him. She had readied her heart for more torture at the hands of the sicko who used to work as an idol manager.

But here Izaya was, defending her with righteous fury. It was a fierceness that not even Kazuki Arata displayed.

This drastic act of protecting her was something that she had not seen in three years.

Izaya then turned to her and gently massaged her cheek. At that point, the black-haired girl relaxed.

2

"I'm really sorry for what you had to go through. I had a feeling that Utara has that side to her, but to see it manifest this way... I hope that you will have it in your heart to forgive me."

Guren Izaya bowed at the girl seated by the other side of the table.

Keeping her eyes on the silver-haired man and the cups of fragrant drinks in front of him, Uehara continued massaging her jaw and wrists.

"You better be, but I've had worse. I'm not a weakling who'll break at that," she said in monotone.

She averted her eyes and refused to talk any further.

She had little interest in dialogue after what she had gone through. Granted, it was not Izaya's fault, but still.

"I fully understand if you may have some untoward feelings."

Following a sigh, Uehara slowly turned her head towards the silver-haired man.

It may not have been the most pleasant way to do it, but thanks to Kimura's ex-manager, she had gotten a quick ticket to the person she'd been looking for. Things just had an interesting way of working out.

"Looking at the state you were in, I had to take you somewhere safe where we can talk in private. Inside the Fragment won't do, and there's not enough time after I defeated the Nullity."

"Talk in private?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. "What a coincidence. I've also been looking for you, Guren Izaya."

"I suppose that just means fate had brought us together. So, are you looking to make an attempt on my life? After all my provocations? In that case, we can take this inside my Fragment if you prefer to fight with your sword."

"I don't know what your Armament does, while you know mine. Isn't that stacking the deck in your favor?"

"We'll be on equal grounds there. Improvised daggers, poisoned perfumes, and your own hand-to-hand combat skills are all useless against an opponent that you'll never catch off-guard."

"You..."

"You're used to living life dangerously, but you have to accept that there are things that you cannot overcome by your own strength. I'm nothing like the syndicate leaders you and Miyuko have  dealt with."

All the while, he had this calm, understanding look on his face. Uehara expected more out of the leader of Euphoria. For someone who played mind games with her and had supposedly sinister plans, he exuded a comforting aura.

Perhaps it was the deep voice or his disposition, but Uehara felt that her heart had mostly calmed down talking to him.

"Were you already planning on abandoning them?" he paused. "I gave Ms. Utara possible instructions in case you went back to protect your friends, but it never happened."

When she remained quiet, Izaya began stirring his cup before gently shoving it towards the girl.

She looked at the brown liquid with raised eyebrows, and she turned to the silver-haired man only to receive a chuckle and a gentle nod.

"Don't worry, I won't stoop down to the level of evildoers. Euphoria is a family, not anything like a syndicate. As a group, we are united by a common goal, and it's something that you might be able to understand."

Carefully taking a sip out of the fragrant drink, Uehara's dry lips felt a bout of sheer bliss as the sweetness of the hot chocolate took over. Putting the cup high above her mouth, she finished the whole thing in a little over a second.

"That was also Senri's favorite."

"Just what do you know about my brother?" asked her, suddenly feeling self-conscious of her expression.

"Senri was a man who believed in my vision for the future. In fact, you can consider him the honorary first member of Euphoria."

Vision for the future? Brother knew about the whole deal with the Akashic Records?

Having said those, he placed his chin on top of his hand while his other fingers began moving in playful motions.

"For now, please enjoy and make yourself feel comfortable."

"How can I do that after everything that's happened?"

"Perhaps knowing that your friends are all safe and sound will help. Including Miyuko."

"They're alive?"

Izaya nodded.

"I see a glint of life in your eyes. You want me to send you back to them?"

Uehara hesitated. However, she was not able to stop her smile as she was overcome by relief that everyone's still alive.

She had tried her best to hide her ecstatic emotions at hearing the news, but contrary to what she felt about the news, she calmly shook her head.

"Can they even forgive me? Do I deserve their forgiveness after everything?"

"Knowing them, they will. Miyuko and Miki Amagi will. I have been getting the same vibes from Kazuki Arata as well. As for the idol..." he sighed.

"Mu's power is the real thing. I've seen it myself now, and I have decided that I want to see Brother again. I want to feel him in my arms, hear his comforting voice, and be protected by his strength. That way, I can say goodbye to my vendetta for good."

"So you chose Senri over them."

She remained silent in the face of the uncomfortable truth.

In response, the silver-haired man looked into the distance before talking to no one in particular.

"You chased the ideal future, and in your pursuit, you feel that you passed the point of no return."

"Regardless, there's no need to feel guilty," he continued with a much friendlier tone. "Let me tell you something. I believe that there is no such thing as inherent evil in the world. Your decisions, like everyone else's, are shaped by circumstance, and my goal is to strike down the cycle of sadness and hatred that shackles this world."

Uehara moved to protest, but a gentle tap on her shoulder stopped her.

"It's okay. No one can truly understand what you are going through, Sayaka Uehara. Even I can't, but I can provide you with something greater. I can provide salvation."

The girl meekly nodded. She recalled the café conversation with Kazuki and the phone call with Amagi. She had no hatred in her heart for those people, but she did remember the rejection of her feelings.

How bitter those felt, with no one understanding how important her brother was to her.

"Using the power of the Akashic Records, I can rewrite the truth of this world and create your paradise where Senri never died. It will be a world without tears, conflict, and suffering. A utopia devoid of Nullities. No one will be able to take him away from us again."

She lifted her head, looking at Izaya only see fervent passion in his expression.

"Once we locate the vessel of the Magna Arbiter, we will open the path to Babel and defeat the Absolute Order. Then, we will no longer be a slave to this world's system, and we will carve out a path for ourselves. Ain't that magnificent?"

She pursed her lips, unable to maintain eye contact with Izaya.

"But if you so desire, I can use my powers to seal your memories of this conversation and deliver you to Miyuko's doorstep. Then, we'll just have to cross swords down the line."

Getting up from his chair, Izaya stood up and turned to leave. However, he left with her a mobile device with coordinates of a map open.

"No one from Euphoria is allowed to lay a finger on you. Get rested in the quarters, take your time, and meet me at that spot three hours from now. Otherwise, I take your answer as a no, and I have arrangements."

"You're so confident in yourself it insults me, you know? What if I rat out your headquarters and betray you?"

"If such a thing were possible, Miyuko would have had me arrested by now. Escape? You are free to leave, but will you leave the Akashic Record's potential hanging?"

Without another word, Izaya left the lounge. Uehara, left alone for the first time, stared at the map on the device's screen.

Is this the right thing to do? After all that everyone did for me?

She recalled how relentless Kazuki was in trying to reach out to her standoffish self months ago. She remembered how dazzling he looked when he saved her from Dr. Kagami's spider Nullity. She reminisced on their talks and how he was always so oblivious to the fact that they were on dates.

He exuded an aura that gave her the same calmness she felt with her brother's embrace.

But he's not Senri Uehara. He can never replace him. If it came down to Kazuki Arata or her brother, her choice was easy.

More flashbacks surfaced.

The battle she and Amagi had with each other in Tenka Peak. How they learned to respect each other and became the greatest duo. Their nightly chats about school and Kazuki. Their shopping trips and hangout days.

She treasured all those memories. For someone who disliked her at first, Amagi did end up becoming one of her best friends.

But she would never allow friendship to sway her loyalty to her brother who literally gave his life for her.

Nothing will.

Not even those genuinely entertaining moments with Shiki. Not the awkward bond with Yui Kimura that was just beginning to sprout. Not the craziness she experienced in one of Misawa's interviews. Not the cheerdance with Amamiya.

Nothing will go over her passionate feelings for her brother.

But was this the right thing to do? Will it be right to turn against the world for the sake of personally experiencing her brother's embrace once again?

3

"Stocks continue to fall for the Ishida Conglomerate. It's a disaster that gave scary echoes harkening back to the Chronodome concert not too long ago."

The news anchor twirled his hand, and the picture on the screen changed. Now, the photos of the Chronodome gave way to a picture of Yuichiro Ishida on a wheelchair.

"There were a few reported injuries as a result of a stampede in the venue. Still, the one who suffered the biggest loss was none other than Yuichiro Ishida," continued the anchor before the picture changed again, now showing Reijy.

"It has been a series of unfortunate incidents for the family, who are now still trying to cope over the loss of the middle son. Reijy Ishida was last seen in Fuyusato Academy and went missing after the earthquake that rocked the school festival, the only known casualty from the incident."

The TV shut off right after that.

Getting up from his bed, Kazuki tossed the remote in frustration.

"Damn this shit!"

He motioned to kick the wall of Aspira Hospital's executive suite before Amagi stopped him.

"Arata!"

His childhood friend held him back, and while his instinct was to lash out, he easily stopped himself in time. Seeing the wet eyes of his childhood friend allowed him to rein himself in, and he released everything in an exhausted breath.

When Amagi let go of him, he looked around the room. It was here when the yelp in response to his outburst registered in his ears.

Laying down her messy bed, the freshly-awoken Kimura rolled before burying her head into her pillow. The bandages that peeked out underneath her tank top only served to piss Kazuki off even more.

"S-sorry..." he apologized, approaching the green-haired girl.

He knew that more than those physical scars, she had suffered from emotional ones. While her physical wounds would quickly recover, thanks to her status as an Awakener, wounds of the heart were way more complicated.

And he had no idea what he can do to save Kimura.

In the end, what did they even accomplish?

When it came down to it, they were all powerless. They never had a chance to defeat Reiya Utara. They did not even get any idea who the Magna Arbiter's host was.

Most damning of all was losing arguably the most important member of their team. In their battles against the Nullities and Euphoria, Uehara was the one they could all rely on. She was the one leading the charge, and her combat skills were second to none.

However, more than their leader on the field, she was an integral part of their circle.

He had always found a certain appeal to her. She was cool, and she always put on a strong and mature front, but inside was a girl with much more to her.

Inside was a girl who had a weakness to sweets and cute dolls. She's also one of the few who were just as, if not more, socially awkward than he was.

She was a person who was anxious about the past and sorely needed a shoulder to cry on.

More importantly, she was someone he had failed, just like he did with Fujiwara...

Those same feelings of his likely applied to his childhood friend. The two girls were even closer to each other, and losing her must have been emotional torture for Amagi.

So much for sharing her burdens.

Those thoughts only served to frustrate Kazuki. Now was not the time to remember those bold words he said to her after the first battle with Dr. Kagami, but he cannot help it.

The door opened, and in walked Ms. Sadohara.

"I hope you're all doing well. Things are still chaotic after the science expo, and we've still got logistics hell to go through. Once you are all recovered, let us resume the search for the host of the Magna Arbiter. With my gun back in commission, I will be able to join you in battle."

She wasted no time, and her voice was even more straight-laced than usual. No teasing, no intentional lewd remarks. Nothing.

As expected, after what they had gone through.

Regardless, her nonchalant voice only pissed Kazuki off even more. Stomping his way towards the school counselor, he started.

"That's it? Isn't Uehara like your daughter? How do you expect everyone to just go back to business like nothing happened?! Do you really not care about Uehara?!"

Ms. Sadohara did not reply.

"Answer me, Ms. Sadohara!" shouted Kazuki, his voice trembling as he held back the rest of his emotions.

Something displaced his glare towards Ms. Sadohara, and before he can get a grip of the situation, he felt the full brunt of a slap across his face.

His cheek swelled in pain. In front of him was the brunette on the verge of tears. It was surprise rather than anger that took over, and he was left wide-eyed.

This was the first time Amagi laid a hand on him. The slap now hurt him more than it should have.

"That's too much, Arata! I know how angry you are, but isn't that going a bit too far? Just look at Ms. Sadohara."

Heeding her instructions, he turned back to Ms. Sadohara only to see her shaking fists. Clenched within themselves, it felt as if they could bleed out anytime soon.

"If you really think that Ms. Sadohara doesn't care, you're mistaken!"

"It's fine, Amagi. I've never been good with showing my feelings, so I understand his outburst. I... I just can't put our mission aside, as much as it hurts. We have no clue about Uehara's status, but I'd like to believe that she's still alive. That thought is what keeps me sane in this time of turmoil."

"She's alive?" said Kazuki.

"Before that Fragment collapsed, I sensed her presence. It was weak, and it disappeared as soon as I felt it. But I cannot mistake it. Counting all the people that Amagi told me about, I briefly confirmed her existence. She did not die to the Class B."

"If that's the case," commented Kimura. "We should continue the mission to search for the Magna Arbiter. I believe that our paths should cross eventually that way."

Everyone paused to look at Kimura. The idol may not have been in the best of states, but she had a point.

This was no time to be hung up over the past. For as big of a failure their venture was, there was only one way: forward. In his journey as an Awakener, nothing had come easy. Not the first meeting with Uehara, not facing his sins at Tenka Peak, not making a compromise and unlocking the key to Kimura's heart.

That's the essence of living, fighting through whatever life threw at you and giving it the finger as you overcome it gloriously.

Hope was not completely lost yet. The host of the Magna Arbiter still wandered out there, and as long as Izaya did not get to him first, it's not game over. Not just yet.

Energized by those thoughts, Kazuki turned to Ms. Sadohara.

"I'm sorry. That's very unbecoming of me. But Kimura's right. This is a trial of our wills, and we must not allow our spirits to be shattered by this failure."

Seeing the positive looks on both Amagi and Kimura's face only steeled his resolve.

"Ms. Sadohara, I am ready and waiting. The battle's far from over, and we will come out on top!"

1