I don’t know where the hell I am!
280 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a good while walking over the hard but beautiful environment, and a few wonders regarding the incredible ability of Zan Zhei in running away. We finally reached over the destination. 

Smoke was filling the air, making hard to breathe.

I still wasn't able to see the place since bushes and trees were still covering my vision, but based on the tense body and battle position of Zan, I was able to tell it.

I quickly covered tightly the haste made rag bag in my hands as I was ready to thrown in a safe place ans quickly circulate the tremors around my body and hands.

Those devil fruits were my lifeline in this place, their value was reaching a higher and higher place each minute that I was able to think about my situation and the grim future ahead of me.

I wasn't able to think further as finally I was able to tell the origin of the smoke.

Hundred of meters ahead fire, blood and bodies were scattered over the place, in what could once had been a beautiful village, was now a grim scene.

The fire ragged over the ground, destroying the beautiful flora around the village while reducing to ashes whatever was there before.

Bodies of asian looking people, the same as Zan were laying on the ground, covering the ground in filth looking blood due o the ashes and dust.

A heavy nauseating smell invaded quickly my nose. It wasn't just blood but piss, shit, and human burnt bodies were mixing up the air, making unbearable for me who never saw and smelled such gruesome scene.

Puking over the ground, I wasn't able to contain anymore whatever was in my stomach from throwing up.

My whole body was shaking, this time due to shock, fear and anger.

However, the one who has it worse was Zan, who only fell on his knees as tears were dropping from his eyes. He closed his eyes as a muffled cry was on his throat.

After recovering myself and cleaning my mouth, I reached over to his shoulder. I didn't know this guy, but I know the pain of losing people dear to you. 

And this guy right here has probably lost everything.

I didn't say anything to him, we stayed like that for a few good minutes, until he calmed down and raised on his feets again.

Taking my hands from his shoulder, I walked ahead with him.

He glanced around the bodies, he seemed to recognize each one of them as a terrible pained expression was over his face. But he didn't stopped at any of them, as he keep heading towards a certain building in flames.

I could see a few bodies laying on the ground in front of him, I could tell that those were most likely his family. Knowing this, I decided to stop and do something worthy for the moment.

 I quickly glanced around in search of a shovel or something that I can use to dig a grave for these poor souls.

After walking a moment I was able to find a shovel, and then went to directly look for a place that could be dig over.

Knowing that I was most likely with a lot of work ahead, I didn't dare to slack off and started digging the ground. at least two meters or more were necessary for the body to be correctly buried, that much I knew it. 

A few minutes later, Zan appeared alongside me and started to dig with me, we didn't say a word, nor I look over him. This guy was in such a pain that it was hard for me to imagine.

He saved my life that much I knew it, so the least I could do for such a thing was helping him bury the body of his fellow villagers.

The sun started to set over, a good couple of hours have passed since I first appeared in this place. If you first tell me the moment I reached this place that just a few hours later I would be digging a grave for a village, I wouldn't have believe that.

Still, here I was. Right now I was really questioning myself a lot of things that previously in my life never crossed my head in such deepness and serious situation.

Still, not even a existencial crisis could stop my head from thinking over the possible future that lay ahead of me. With such amount of craziness going around, I can't be naive enough to start planning something.

Worse knowing that I wasn't able to communicate with the people from this place, and God knows how much time It would take until I'm able to understand nor talk such language.

With such grim looking future, I could take hasty actions to prevent a few things, but nothing would work against the total unknown that this world is currently for me.

My best bet, is the guy digging with me. He's a local, and we both now share a bond, forged in blood and pain.

We only know each other's names and that's all, we don't know each other ages, nor anything else.

We keep digging even after reached the night, at first I was still wondering if we could find something to illuminated around the place, but the incredible sky and surrounding flowers illuminated enough for us to see, for a few minutes I was bewildered by the sight.

Never I have seen such sheer beauty in nature.

It was beyond my comprehension the beauty surrounding me at the moment.

I was hungry, thirsty and tired, we both dig up a large amount of terrain and there was at least space enough for ten people. Still, after a recount in one of my resting moments I counted at least ninety bodies.

There's a large night ahead of me.

Luckily, Zan gave me a couple of dried meat to eat and a can of water to drink. I was really grateful to him as I quickly finished everything and drank to my fill.

Then we continued over until dawn, after so many hours doing the same thing I was so tired that I was barely able to keep my eyes open, Zan however didn't falter over the entire night a keep digging with an incredible amount of perseverance.

After the first rays of the sun washed over us, we both nodded at each other and quickly climbed from the mass grave we dig.

He took his time as with a water basin and a cloth, he started to clean one per one each body, at least their faces and necks. Or what was left from those places.

He then said a few words, kissed their forehead and handed me over the bodies to be draged in the grave. We did this the whole morning until noon, when the last two bodies were left, I assumed they were his parents or close relatives since he took a longer time and cleaned over their entire faces, neck, legs and hands. He even made a crown made of flowers and other things and put them around their heads.

I was really touched during the whole thing, as the delicacy put on each of his movements, with fear of breaking something was really heartbreaking.

We both moved this time those bodies carefully, and then we started to place the dirt back.

Putting the dirk was easier than digging up, still, with the tiredness and soreness around my whole body, was still a hard task.

We take our breaks to eat and drink water, Zan used these times to search for things around the remains lf the village and surrounding bushes and fields, bringing with him a good amount of food an other tools.

We didn't speak at all, the few times we did he only pointed to certain fruits and things and said it's names, while I did the same.

For such I was able to tell a few things, this village seemed to be called Dunpaeg.

His deceased parents were called Ren and Xuua. He seemed to be the only son. Or so I thought, since you known language barrier and all that.

It wasn't until dusk that we both were alerted by various sounds, more exactly shouts and heavy footstep from afar.

Zan quickly moved himself around, as a tense and coldness washed over his face.

At this moment, most of the grave was already covered, there was a still a cape of at least 30 cm that was remaining to complete. 

Still, we both throw away the shovels as we quickly got into battle stance.

I wasn't able to understand the shouts, so I could only keep looking over and over again at Zan face for any indication wether they were enemies or allies.

Luckily, a few moments later I was able to see quite the sight, as people with the same style of clothes and Asian features appeared from the road afar in weird looking animals and beast. In their hands some held spears, others farm tools and just a few of them swords. They were a large group as they seemed to be a good couple of dozens, if not hundreds.

However, one thing they shared in common was the blood all over their clothes and the angry expression on their faces.

When they reached over what was once the village entrance, they noticed us and quickly approached, screaming with relief on their voices something to Zan.

"Zan Zhei!! @#+$+ \]©✓¢ %®¥£∆!" Said a middle-aged man with a sad smile on his face.

Zan answered something to him, his hands never stopping clenching.

They exchanged a few words as the guys started to dismount from their beast and animals as they approached us. They quickly started helping us covering the rest of the dirt and a couple of minutes later, we finalized with the rest lowering their heads and probably praying something. 

I wasn't a man of faith if I have to say, so I could only pray for them to reach a good reincarnation.

They exchanged a few words later on and Zan glanced over me, "Renzo" He only said as he moved his head slightly, as if asking me to follow them. I quickly nodded my head and walked over them. I didn't forget to grab the bag with the devil fruits.

Minutes later, and after a shameful time trying to mount a beast that resembled nothing I remembered from earth, we quickly walk away from the Dunpaeg Village, with Zan closing his eyes and a muffled groan escaping his throat.

At least this time he received some encouraging words from the people around.

These guys keep talking about various things that sadly I wasn't able to understand, but from time to time I could see their expression and actions when saying certain things. 

It seemed that something ugly was going on around as they yelled and spout some words with rage and fury, and sometimes with sadness. Sadly I wasn't able to distinguish those words.

It wasn't until a two hours later on the road that we happen to see another razed village, it seemed that they came here previously as we didn't stop.

We made various breaks during the path as they took their time to pee or watch over something on the road ahead. 

We saw from time to time more razed villages and columns of smoke raising from various places. By this time I was mostly sure that some kind of war was going around and it wasn't the work of a bandit group or something.

It wasn't until the first rays of the moon in the night that were able to reach the destination, it was a large village, or small town should I say. There were various patrols of armed peasants or warriors running around and watching carefully after us. 

Still, when we reached the village gates and make up walls, relief seemed to spread over the guys in our group and the people in the village. 

'It seems like not every group makes alive back here' I thought to myself.

After walking at an open space in the village, we all stoped and started taking down our things, nobody during this time approached me as it seemed that Zan told them all I didn't speak their language nor the enemies language.

At first during the travel I've got quite the stinky eye from a few, but Zan seemed to explain or say a few things that those looks fade away that even some started to see me with respect.

Still, it seemed that Zan speak quite well from us that they lent us a small tent a few pieces of bread and meat. I say this since I saw that many sleeping in the open air, and just a few pieces of bread and meat were on the hands.

Nobody complained, nobody was in the mood from anything. The air around the whole village and camp was heavy and gloomy, and how could you blame them?

The gloominess was even thicker around me, since one thing was weighing heavy upon me.

I still wasn't able to tell where the hell I am currently.

The scenes around the path were Incredible, there wasn't even one show that could resembled to it, the one more closer that I have any notion of resemblance was the movie Avatar. And I wasn't seeing any Na'avi nor masked soldiers around the place.

Even the houses around the village were nothing I saw before. So I was racking my brain this whole time to tell where the hell I was.

Worst scenario, it was a unique world that wasn't wrote in any fictional work.

The only good thing I took from all this time however was one thing. During the whole travel I was able to train and use the quake powers. 

And I even discovered one amazing thing. Guess who can walk on air?

Still, there was quite a lot of things that I should have to research on within this thing and try them. But with a war around me, I couldn't give the time and focus needed to such ordeal.

The most important thing however was to know where the hell I am, since I couldn't plan anything with my current situation.

I could only hope to find the answer quickly.

14