Chapter 1 – The Desolate Man
869 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jamie stood staring at the sky, looking at the Northern Lights, at a place called Cleary Summit, Aurora Viewing Area, somewhere north of Fairbanks, Alaska. 

He was drunk, holding a half drunk bottle of whiskey in his left hand.  

His other hand fiddled with a small box in his pocket, containing the ring he bought to propose to his sweetheart Jessica Summers. 

He had planned to bring her with him and propose to her here, late at night while the Northern Lights were the brightest. 

It has their plans for over 2 years, to renovate the second hand van that he bought, and spend a few years living the van life and making videos and vlogs to post on Utube, hopefully as a way to travel the world, and make money while doing so. 

Unfortunately, just as he finished renovating the van, he had planned to surprise her with their maiden trip to the north. But he caught her in bed, cheating on him in his best friend Jack's bedroom when she was supposed to be at work. 

He walked in on them unexpectedly, as he was returning Jack's tools. They both stared at him in shock, their bodies joined as one as Jamie turned around and walked out.  

Now, 4 days later, with his phone off to avoid all calls from his ex-girlfriend and best friend, driving all the way from San Diego to Fairbank, he stood with tears in his eyes. He had driven non stop with barely any sleep. 

He took out the box and wanted to throw it into the distance. 

He really couldn't afford to throw away such an expensive ring, but he had no reason to keep it. But at the same time, it would feel weird to use it if he met another girl and fell in love again. 

He stared at the distance as he put it back into his pocket, deciding to pawn it. 

What was he to do now? Go back to San Diego? 

The sky was mesmerizing, maybe he should drive north.  

He knew the Northern lights were formed by the magnetic waves and light, but he was drunk, and he had an idea to seek the end of the Northern lights, like finding the end of a rainbow.

Wiping his eyes, he gulped down the remaining bottle and entered his van.

Instead of driving back to Fairbanks, he drove north on the Steese Highway in the pitch dark road, illuminated by his headlights and the lights in the sky.

He drove as fast as he could without driving off the road, as he knew that the Northern lights will soon disappear as the sun rose.

For over half an hour, he followed the Highway, not knowing there the road would lead him.

Suddenly, without warning, a large moose appeared out of nowhere and crossed the path of the van.

It was a large moose, whose body was as tall as his van, with its head taller was above the top of his van.

Jamie slammed the brakes but his van smashed into it at high speeds.

It's body smashed through his windscreen, pinning Jamie to his seat as the van spun around with the moose stuck to the front of his van.

Jamie was smothered by the large smelly body of the moose as the van started rolling, turning upside down several times before rolling off the road and smashing into a large tree.

For an unknown amount of time, Jamie regained consciousness.

He was in pain everywhere, finding his body compressed by a heavy body of the moose, as the van rested upside down.

"Raaah!" he yelled, trying to push the moose off him. But it didn't budge as it weighed over 1500 pounds.

What Jamie didn't realize was that the body of the moose actually protected him from the impact of the accident as the van was completely totaled.

The body of the moose actually protected him, but it's guts and blood now surrounded the drivers seat as Jamie feared drowning in the rising blood as he hung upside down.

He tried to spit out the blood that was in his mouth, not sure if it was his own blood or the moose's. It was probably both. 

Suddenly, he felt the moose move. Perhaps the rescuers had arrived and the moose started being pulled off him. 

Jamie moaned in pain, as the moose was pulled off him, and he felt the moose's rib that was impaled in his side was yanked out of him.

He was about to scream in pain, but instead he started puking as the pain was unbearable.  

But instead of hearing rescuers, he heard panting sounds as he managed to look out of the broken windscreen. 

It was still dark as the sun hadn't risen yet, but what was alarming was the huge grizzly eating the dead moose. 

It was so large, that if it stood on it's hind legs, it could probably touch 9 feet tall!

Jamie bit down on parts of his torn shirt, to stop himself screaming as the moose's rib continued being yanked from his body. 

He noticed his side window broken open, so he grit his teeth and pulled the rib right out of his stomach. 

He was struggling to stay conscious, as he knew if he stayed here, the bear would probably eat him after the moose. 

Crawling out the window as quietly as possible, he got to his feet and started running. 

He didn't care if the bear could see him, he just needed to get out of there. 

He climbed up the embarkment and back onto the road, and found the skidmarks of his van on the road together with blood and gore of the moose. 

The Northern lights were still in the sky, though the sun was starting to rise. 

Suddenly, the air started shaking as a strong electric hum filled the air. 

Jamie looked around, confused and surprised. 

Another hum, took to the air, and the air could visibly be seen rippling, as a third loud hum joined the other two. 

Even the Northern lights started rippling and Jamie could see in the distance, 3 pillars of expanding waves shooting from the ground to the air in 3 points around him. 

"Is... that HAARP?" Jamie thought to himself, hearing that there were HAARP stations rumored to be around here. 

Jamie covered his ears as he felt disoriented, and the whole area around him seemed to look surreal. 

The bear roared behind him, but Jamie could only ball up as he felt his head feel like exploding. 

Suddenly the Northern Lights seemed to "spill" onto him, like watercolor accidentally spilling from a canvas onto the floor. 

"Aaargh" Jamie yelled as his clothes caught fire and he immediately stripped himself and threw his clothes away.

He was naked in the freezing cold, but he was too occupied suffering from the burns of his clothes on his body to notice.  

Thinking that Jamie was the cause of the phenomena, the bear roared and charged at Jamie. 

Jamie barely turned around when a 900 pound bear pounced on him.

The bear's paws smashed Jamie's chest, smashing his ribs and sent him flying to the nearby trees, smashing his spine on the tree. 

Jamie, who was already injured before this, coughed blood and felt that he could not feel his body under his chest.

The bear was upon him in an instant and opened it's mouth to finish him off. 

Remembering a story that he read, Jamie desperately shoved his whole right hand into the bear's mouth as the bear chomped down. 

Jamie screamed, feeling his bones in his arm snap and lost all feeling in his arm.

But he had managed to stuff his fist and arm deep into the bear's throat, which blocked it's windpipe. 

It tried to get Jamie's arm out of it's mouth, but Jamie was too close to it's body, barely able to scratch him with it's claws. 

But Jamie, naked body bleeding everywhere and paralyzed from his chest down, had already given up hope, letting the bear scratch him all over. 

Unable to dislodge Jamie, the bear ran off into the forest, with Jamie's arm shoved up it's throat and Jamie dangling and dragging on the ground. 

22