Act I: Another Day…
19 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rohava 3rd, 6400 C.L.

Brother said not much is happening where he is. A bunch of new soldiers are going out for an easy first assignment. He expects to be able to visit home soon. He’d better be able to or I’m gonna go talk to his officers!

 

Of all the times I wish I had perfect control, I wish now more than ever I could just mute my ears.

Aiko cursed her inability to tune the ringing of the alarm out. The voice droning on snapping every nearby soldier into action. To take her mind off the headache-inducing screeching she instead listened to the soothing mature voice of the Captain.

“Come on people, move it! I don’t like to repeat myself! Let’s go! Let’s go! Double time!”

The Hexblade already had its engine’s spun up. The Aero Drivers that propelled the craft glowed blue as the circular device spun rapidly, creating a downward draft. A light hop was enough to surmount the gap between the dropship and the landing pad. 

Aiko’s landing was hardly a stop however, instead it was a sharp turn to find her seat towards the back of the craft. Taking sharp breathes for air, she found an open seat near the rear and laid her weapon in the storage rack next to it.

It took a little bit of fighting to stuff her bushy tail into the open hole to allow her to properly sit, but she preferred it to the feeling of smushing her big ball of a tail against the chair.

Finally situated Aiko gazed down the corridor of the dropship toward the entry doors, the Captain still leaning out and gazing back at the base before sighing and rolling his eyes, “Move your ass trooper! I said double time!”

“Yes sir!” The answering voice was small and frantic. The small soldier climbed on and quickly shuffled to find his seat as well.

The captain leaned back into the dropship and tapped on the bulkhead leading to the cockpit, “That’s everyone. Lift off.”

“Rrrroger that. Vixen 9, dusting off.” The pilot answered, not a care in his voice.

The young soldier took the only open seat on the Hexblade, one down and then across from Aiko’s, and directly across from Lisha’s seat. The woman’s gaze stayed fixed on her holo-screens but her tone conveyed her disciplinary thoughts,

“You’re late. Newbie.”

“Yes ma’am. Sorry, ma’am.” He placed his weapon on the holster next to him again, it having fallen out the first attempt.

Lisha flicked her finger and the weapon straightened up and locked into the slot. She smiled, looking back down at her holo-screen.

Aiko’s eyes looked the girl up and down. She always tended to do things discreetly, yet her bright pink hair screamed ‘Look at me'. Did she like being anonymous or public?

“Alright listen up!” The captain’s voice drew every head to it, “Briefing is coming in, so HUDs on people. This one’s important.”

Aiko quietly tapped a panel on her waist, her contacts coming to life with a blue transparent display. She brought an ear up to her comm piece to listen, 

A box opened up on the display, showing the spinning logo of a rattlesnake, the emblem of Copperhead Command. The voice of a female AI came on, “At 1400 hours, a strange animal sighting was reported in the Diamond Forest on Florian.” A blurry image of SOME kind of creature appeared on the display, it was soon followed by an emblem and unit identification. A sword with a winged handguard, 9th Mechanical Extermination Corp,

“An extermination unit was sent out an hour later, at 1500. When the unit failed to report back a scout unit was dispatched to investigate the area. They found the extermination unit torn apart by an unknown threat, before quickly going dark. At 1700 multiple combat units were dispatched to the area, and have all gone dark.”

Various other images appeared, androids torn apart, dead bodies… carnage.

“As such, the mission has been changed. Your job will be to sweep the area for survivors of the combat units, identify what it is that’s taken them out, and evac back out of the area. Further operations will be decided based on your findings.”

The images closed and went back to the spinning Copperhead Logo, “You are the AgRS, the best of the scout corp. Complete the mission, good luck, and Fate favor you.”

The display completely closed as Aiko lowered her hand again, “Great, they don’t even know what they’re throwing us at.”

Lisha shrugged, “Welcome to the Aggressive Recon Scout Corp. Known or unknown we can face it.” The pink-haired soldier turned towards Aiko, “You know this, girl. We’ve done this kinda thing plenty of times before. Remember Algoth?”

Aiko brought her hand up to her face and rubbed her forehead, “I try not to remember Algoth.”

“It’ll be just like Algoth.”

“I hope not. Get that smile off your face, Algoth was hell. I dunno why you seem to think it was great.”

The younger recruit tilts his head, “What happened at Algoth?”

Aiko gave a glance at him. He was a small boy, and he looked fresh from the academy. His armor was still in pristine condition and looked like it was made using the factory standard as its base.

He hadn’t had to wear it for long if he still had a design like that.

The jet black armor certainly could make a good uniform design, but with the increase in reliance on a soldier’s Ability uniforms were fazed out of every major military group. Aiko was living proof of why it was a good idea.

No, his armor was a slightly modified version of the F.C.S. Mk. III Light Assault Armor. A Type M based on the metal cat ear-shaped microphones protruding from the top of his helmet which currently lay on his lap.

Aiko’s eyes wandered to a standard Type S helmet of another soldier, and she thought how uncomfortable that would be for any sort of Markasian, Kitsune, or mutant type Terran for that matter. And why would it be comfortable? The Type S was a Terran helmet for Terran ears. The small protruding Markasian ears on the top of a Markasians head or the long fluffy ears of a Kitsune would be crushed underneath a Type S helmet.

And the pelvic plate… even with the small slender tail of a Markasian, stuffing any kind of tail into anything was uncomfortable at best and torture at worst.

Lisha leans forward, “Well kitty, Algoth was-”

“Hell. And that’s all that you need to know about. Be thankful you weren’t there.” Aiko crossed her arms and looks toward the front of the dropship.

The Captain scrolled through a holo-screen before closing it, “Alright people. Check your gear and get ready for boots on the ground.”

The young Markasian soldier took a deep breath, “You said this would be just like Algoth?”

Lisha smiled, “Relax kitty, stick with the veterans, follow orders, and we’ll all get home just fine.”

“I have a name you know ma’am…” The Markasian’s eyes narrowed on Lisha.

“Oh really? And what is it?”

“Sinclair.”

She made an ‘X’ with her arms, “Wrong. Not once you're out in the field. So let’s try that again. What’s your name?”

“Uhm…” He rubbed the back of his head, “Soldier Third Class Rudeya?”

“Strike two. One more time, what’s your name?” Lisha said with a little too much enthusiasm.

Sinclair’s eyes darted around as he thought. Aiko made a subtle point towards his helmet. The Markasian’s ears perked up, “Oh, you mean my callsign? Accelerator.”

“Bingo. Gold star for you. Though, your’ suppose to announce when you phone a friend.” Lisha’s eyes glance over at Aiko with a knowing smirk, “At any rate. Boots on the ground in way-too-soon so gear up.”

Accelerator took his helmet and put it on. Aiko had no such helmet to wear but did check her weapon before they landed.

With no window it was hard to tell exactly how close they were, she could only use her limited view to the front cockpit for guidance. The Captain standing up was a good indication however that it was almost time.

She tapped her wrist device and brought her full HUD online. The words, “Main System: Activating Combat Mode” played into her ear by Iris, her armor’s A.I. With the HUD turned on a quick glance showed her information everywhere she looked. First she turned to her old friend.

Psion: Soldier 1st Class
Specialist
Telekinesis

Lisha adjusted her hair right before she put on a combat mask. In the same motion, she waved her hand and four bladed devices floated up into the air, two on either side of her. She crossed her legs and looked toward the front two doors of the Hexblade.

Aiko’s eyes lingered on Accelerator on their trip toward the front as well.

Accelerator: Soldier 3rd Class
Vanguard
Acceleration

A squad captain would get more information, but all Aiko needed to know about those with her was told to her if she just knew where to look. Such as at the gun Accelerator pulled out of the rack.

M4 Lancer: SMG

How many times had she seen that name come up?

She reached to her side and went for her own weapon, hoisting up the bulky device.

Pulsefire Blade: Heavy Plasma Rifle/Greatblade

Aiko brought the rifle close to her chest and took in a deep breath, closing her eyes. There was a gentle lurch as the ship came to a stop.

The doors slid open and the Captain gestured for the door, “Good for drop. Go! Go! Go!”

The troopers filed out of the two doors and into the lush blue grass of the planet, kneeling down as they waited for everyone to deploy.

Once all boots were on ground the Hexblade’s engines came to life and lifted the dropship back into the air.

Alright people, you know the drill. Keep your intervals wide, your eyes open, and stick with your squad. Let’s move. If you see something, say something. I don’t care if it ends up being a Fenoko.

A rally of “Sir yes sirs” rang out from all the soldiers.

Aiko looks to Psion and the two girls smirk. Aiko looks back to Accelerator as he cocks his M4. Another great day in the AgRS.

2