Chapter 657 – Repaying Gratitude
74 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sure, there are some people who will just take what they want out of what you offer and ditch you afterwards, but most people have more propriety than that, and at least try to repay the kindness you have shown them. It’s just that you naturally remember the bad incidents more than the good ones.” - Saying attributed to the Silver Maiden.

“Marivella, Engel, I am happy to see that you two are in good health,” said Aideen as she toasted the two old acquaintances that suddenly came over to meet her.

 

“The same to you, Milady,” said Marivella as she returned the toast with a throaty guffaw. The dwarven woman seemed genuinely pleased to meet Aideen once more, and something in her gaze when she looked towards her reminded Aideen of people who looked at her with more than a little worship in their eyes, which was odd. The dwarven woman had not looked at her that way back then. “We really can’t thank you enough for the gift you have granted us. You will forever be our family’s benefactor.”

 

“Gifts?” asked Aideen with some confusion as she looked at the dwarven couple questioningly. She had not recalled giving them anything in particular, unless maybe they counted the time when she taught Engel personally as such?

 

“I guess Milady benefactor might not have thought of it that way, but the lessons you gave me back then laid the foundation for me to better my healing skills to heights I have never dared even dream about,” explained Engel with an understanding nod. “Just last year I was conferred the title of Mæster by my peers, which designated me as the pinnacle of healing in Knallzog. I would have never gained this honor if not for your kind teachings back then.”

 

“Oh! Congratulations are in order then! Another toast to your success!” replied Aideen with a genuine smile on her face. During her association with Engel Goerenbrandt she had found the dwarf to be of good character, someone who was unlikely to misuse her teachings for personal benefits or short-term profits. It appeared that her trust had been repaid in spades, as the dwarven healer had greatly improved his skills in the century that had passed.

 

“I probably would have never reached this point without your assistance Milady, so please at least accept my gratitude for having been so kind to impart me with the knowledge you shared back then,” said the dwarf with a wide grin on his face as he lifted his tankard for another toast. “Speaking of which, Milady, I do not believe we have asked the purpose of your presence in Meergant at this time yet.”

 

“Ah, official business, technically, though it would seem that it would take a while to arrange for a meeting with the local lord,” replied Aideen casually. She saw no reason to hide her reason for coming this time around since it was all done in public anyway. “I had just finished penning a letter asking for an audience last night to deliver to the lord’s mansion later today.”

 

“Why bother going through such trivialities, Milady?” asked Marivella with an eyebrow raised in curiosity. “Surely if you were to mention your identity as the Maiden in Silver from the songs they would grant you an audience as soon as possible.”

 

“Thing about being sung about by bards and the like is that it’s difficult to prove such an identity, dear,” said Engel before Aideen could reply. “I can understand why Milady felt unwilling to make use of that identity, it would be a hassle to prove one’s authenticity, as there are copycats and impostors who often tried to abuse such tales to their own benefit.”

 

“What he said, pretty much,” said Aideen in agreement. “Besides, it’s doesn’t present the best impression to rely on that sort of fame to introduce yourself, and I’m looking to forge a lasting working relationship with the local lord, at the very least.”

 

“In that case I might have a solution to your problem, Milady,” said Engel with an eager smile, almost like that of a child trying to impress his parents. “I happened to have done the Graf a favor just some months ago. If we were to visit together, certainly he would not refuse me, and thereby you can also gain your audience right away, provided that the man is home, that is.”

 

“Really? I wouldn’t want to trouble you for such a trifle…”

 

“Please, Milady, this is nothing compared to the boon you had so nonchalantly given me all those years ago. At least allow me to help make your business run smoother since I happen to be around,” said Engel with the smile never leaving his features. “It would be the least I could do to repay the kindness you bestowed upon me, and through me, so many others over these years.”

 

“Fine, then, if you insist,” said Aideen in acquiescence in the end.

 

After everyone finished their breakfast, Engel and Marivella led them to the mansion of the current Graf von Meergant, one Lloyd McBaine, who had apparently succeeded his late father as Graf around a couple decades after Aideen departed from Alcidea back then. The favor Engel spoke of was healing the man’s youngest infant son when he caught a rare disease that was particularly fatal for young children just some months ago.

 

It was honestly an incident of happenstance, as Engel happened to be in town when the Graf’s child caught the illness. When he heard the news he naturally went over and offered his assistance, and the Graf was beyond pleased to discover that the Kingdom’s acknowledged greatest healer happened to be in town and would help his ailing child.

 

What was a gesture of kindness from Engel – it was not like he helped the Graf’s child because he wanted rewards or anything like that – was seen as a life-debt by the Graf in question, and the man had made it clear in no uncertain terms that whatever Engel ever needed from him, he needed but to ask.

 

If you enjoy this story, please consider leaving a rating or review to help it gain more exposure (and help counter the haters), thank you!

Read ahead on my Patreon! For 5$ a month patrons will gain early access of up to 25 chapters ahead, or for 10$ a month, gain early access of up to 55 (10% bonus) chapters ahead! 

Or you can subscribe to all my stories and get a 10% discount on the price!

Join the Discord for silly stuff and chat with us!

5