Chapter 659 – Easy Agreement
73 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“There are several types of business transactions, but the best ones are the mutually beneficial ones. That way both sides would have motivation and incentive to continue doing business with each other over a longer period of time, which allows for stability and benefits over time.” - From a lecture by Garth Wainwrought, Dean of the Levain Institute for Higher Learning, circa 690 FP.

“I am going to assume that you are serious and not playing a prank on me, aren’t you, Mæster Goerenbrandt?” asked the Graf with some skepticism in his voice. The man’s reluctance to believe was understandable, given how often impostors tried to coast on the Maiden in Silver’s reputation for their own benefits.

 

“I’m guessing you’re asking because of the impostors who have been using the name. I’ve had to deal with a couple of those myself, so it’s understandable,” said Engel with a wistful sigh. “I wish that things had never devolved to such a state that people needed to prove that they are who they said they are, but such are the times we live in.”

 

“Anyway, Your Grace, I first met Milady deVreys over a century ago, during your father’s reign, here in Meergant,” he explained. “Back then we met by coincidence when my lady wife happened to be visiting family she had in town and Milady deVreys was also there at the time. She also taught me many things in that time, including subjects that even the senior healers from the Union at Posuin could barely explain properly.”

 

“Huh, well, that’s something all right. If she’s been there from a century ago and taught even the esteemed Mæster so much…”

 

“My lady wife also met her by the great gorge when it freshly happened back then, Milady deVreys happened to be traveling towards the Kingdom Down Under at the time. I only met her in Meergant like a decade or so after that incident,” added Engel with a proud smile. “Besides, there’s the most convincing bit, Your Grace. Milady deVreys is a far better healer than I am, likely better than what I ever will be, considering that she will still be around when my bones had turned to dust in my grave.”

 

“Then I must apologize for the discourtesy I have shown, Milady deVreys,” said the Graf as he gave a slight bow to Aideen. “I bid you welcome in Meergant, and may your stay be fruitful,” added the dwarven noble. The way he kept a firm control over his voice and emotion over what must have been a rather embarrassing situation showed his upbringing, and that he had been taught well. “Mæster Goerenbrandt said that it is you that has some business you need me for, I believe?”

 

“Indeed, Your Grace,” replied Aideen as she returned his bow with an equal one. “This time around I came from the Lichdom on a more official business. Namely, we would like to arrange for the passage of a small-scale migration that will pass through Knallzog territory in the future, perhaps a hundred or two from now at the latest.”

 

“Oh, a migration, you say? Can you provide me with an approximate number of people involved in it?”

 

“At the moment we’re looking at around three to five hundred, but that might swell to double that number or more as time passed, though I reckon at most it would be around fifteen hundred to two thousand,” replied Aideen honestly, as it was difficult to make estimates that far into the future. “We plan to disembark in Meergant, and from there move towards the north-west, to the wastelands, and head to the Forest of Despair from there.”

 

“Headed to the Forest of Despair, are you? What do you plan to do there? That place’s cursed, I say,” said the Graf with some surprise. “We tried surveying the land there but out of the three parties we sent, less than half the people returned alive. Place’s full of all sorts of sordid beasts and monstrosities, I hear.”

 

“Oh, nothing much, we just plan to build a city for us Unliving in the middle of it,” replied Aideen with a smirk on her face. “We don’t exactly have to worry about losing our lives in the process of pioneering, after all.”

 

“I was going to call that idea mad until I realized that you had the right of it, Lady,” said the Graf after a moment of contemplation. “Well, from our perspective, feel free. Not like we claim that place anyway. If you want to handle the rest of the migration permits, though, I’m afraid you will need to visit the Royal Capital, and maybe that old bastard Harscape’s demesne too, since you’d have to pass through their lands as well. I can only handle the permits for the landing and passage through my territory.”

 

“We expected as much, yeah. Our next destination in mind is the royal capital, to handle the rest of the permits and all that,” replied Aideen honestly. She knew how things worked in places where the nobles practically had the run of their part of the land. Fortunately a century or two was a short enough time when it came to dwarves so she could expect things to remain relatively stable in that timeframe.

 

“In that case I’ll write you a recommendation letter. It should allow you to get an audience without waiting for too long,” said the Graf thoughtfully. “If you would kindly wait for another few days? I’ll have the documents for your planned migration set up as well in the meantime. Those take a bit longer to prepare, hence the wait.”

 

“Certainly, Your Grace. We have been wanting to take a look around this wonderful city to begin with, so that fits perfectly with our own plans.”

 

“Splendid! In that case I’ll have the documents prepared as soon as I can. Where will you be staying in the meantime? I will send them over once they are completed.”

“We’re temporarily staying at the Wicked Wench of the West, not that far from the docks,” replied Aideen. “And thanks again for your cooperation, Your Grace.”

 

If you enjoy this story, please consider leaving a rating or review to help it gain more exposure (and help counter the haters), thank you!

Read ahead on my Patreon! For 5$ a month patrons will gain early access of up to 25 chapters ahead, or for 10$ a month, gain early access of up to 55 (10% bonus) chapters ahead! 

Or you can subscribe to all my stories and get a 10% discount on the price!

Join the Discord for silly stuff and chat with us!

4