Chapter 638 – Death’s Champion
85 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Legends and tales of Champions appointed by the Deities to act in their stead in the mortal realm were plentiful, though most of them were likely fake stories or based on the acts of charlatans. In actuality, said Champions rarely made their identities public, barring the Champions of Wind, which often had no choice in the matter.

 

Instead, most Champions that walked the mortal lands often did so incognito, with others unaware of their identities, save perhaps a few trusted friends or compatriots. Some lived their lives in seclusion and recluse, while yet others made waves wherever they went, depending on their own personalities. In the end, all were as the Deities intended.” - Saying attributed to the Silver Maiden, circa 648 FP.

You’re the Champion of Death, Grandpa?” asked Aideen with some bewilderment, though after a moment she realized that when she put things into consideration, it was quite fitting for the High Priest of Tohrmut in the mortal realm to also be the Deity’s Champion. The Bone Lord’s practically eternal existence also further rendered validity to his claim, since nobody was certain how old the Bone Lord was.

 

“I am, always been, since forever now, pretty much. I became a Champion when the Deities themselves were still young and recently formed, when they first came up with the idea of seeking others to help stabilize the then chaotic affinities in the world,” admitted Grandpa Aarin with a nostalgic look. “Tohrmut happened to notice my… unique circumstances and gave me the offer. At that time none of them had any real idea on what would make a Champion serve better in their role, you see, so they each made their own picks.”

 

“Those were pretty messy days. At that time none of the Deities truly understood people, so the choices they made were also pretty… random. I recalled how one of Igunacio’s early champions grew to be a tyrant to the point that the Deities had to put him down themselves,” added the Bone Lord as he happily related his experience. “The only real constant was Aistrofuri. None of the Champions of Wind had ever stayed Champions for all that long, no matter the choices he made. Choosing for a will that flows as freely as the wind has its drawbacks too, in the end.”

 

“You have stayed one for all that time, though, Grandpa?” Aideen queried to confirm once more. She was well aware that the Bone Lord originated from times far past what history recorded, from the era of myth and legend that was mostly forgotten in the present day, a being older than the history of any nation in existence in the present world. Sometimes it takes a moment to digest that fact, however. “Is that the source of your immortality?”

 

“Let’s just say that Tohrmut and I happened to see eye to eye and found our relationship a mutually beneficial one. As for immortality, actually, no, Child. It was something I possessed well before I received and took on the offer,” replied the Bone Lord. “Immortality itself is honestly a fickle thing. Far too many mortals sacrificed everything in its pursuit, yet those who actually possess it rarely could enjoy it for what it represents. You are already one of the few who adjusts well to immortality amongst the mortals, in my knowledge. Most Champions by the Deities did not last as long as you have lived so far, which is probably another reason you have been picked.”

 

“I can somewhat understand why, especially if they were reduced to someone who could only watch impotently while unable to do anything,” noted Aideen with a nod of her head. “Such an existence must be quite frustrating indeed. No real surprise few lasted long in such a role. I doubt that many have the right disposition to claim such a role in the long term.”

 

“Indeed, which is why they plan to allow their Champions to walk the mortal realm once more, as you have no doubt learned,” said the Bone Lord with a smirk. “That was actually an idea they came into after seeing how I’ve lasted so long in my position. They tried to have mortal Champions early on, but those ended in disastrous ways so they were understandably wary of repeating their mistakes. Nowadays they should be able to choose better and avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.”

 

“And us Unliving coming into existence was part of that plan, huh?” muttered Aideen.

 

“Ah, you learned that as well, but yes. I learned of it after the fact, though I had my suspicions when I first saw you after you had risen back then. As for why you specifically, that was a true incident of happenstance. You happened to have the right qualities at the right time,” explained the Bone Lord. “Did they also tell you that you are free to ponder their offer for as long as you would like?”

 

“They did, Grandpa. I think I might actually take them up on their offer and pursue my own dream first, as they suggested,” said Aideen with some more conviction in her voice. “I have actually thought long and hard about it, but it makes sense. If I wish to pursue my dream, I would like to do it while I remain unattached, be it to the Deities or to whatever other higher power.”

 

“Then you should do so, Child. You know that you have my full support on this. You need simply ask if you have anything this old Grandpa of yours could help with,” said the Bone Lord with a chittering chuckle. “Of course, you would likely want to handle most things you could do on your own, which is also understandable. Just keep in mind that you will always have someone you can rely on in your time of need.”

 

“I will, Grandpa, I certainly will,” said Aideen with a smile as she hugged the Bone Lord in a warm, familial embrace. “And thank you as always, for being there for us.”

 

If you enjoy this story, please consider leaving a rating or review to help it gain more exposure (and help counter the haters), thank you!

Read ahead on my Patreon! For 5$ a month patrons will gain early access of up to 25 chapters ahead, or for 10$ a month, gain early access of up to 55 (10% bonus) chapters ahead! 

Or you can subscribe to all my stories and get a 10% discount on the price!

Join the Discord for silly stuff and chat with us!

6