Chapter 4: Here and There
58 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So this is my black box ?"

Aiko said while observing a shiny back box about the size of one palm held between her thumbs and middle finger.

After experiencing death, revival, now with a piece of her previous body in her hand, Aiko felt like slowly developing quite strong resistance towards surprises.

"Well, then."

Aiko immediately placed her black box on the scanner before establishing a connection with the cube. It became reflex for putting anything on the scanner.

-Scan complete, obtained 40 exp. New project unlocked 'Improved Black Box Lv1' 5/1 exp-

Faced with such an attractive price, Aiko couldn't say no.

-Project 'Improved Black Box Lv1' complete. Black Box's survivability and capacity have improved. Now you are able to obtain general information about the cause of death.-
-Would you like to obtain data?-

"Yes."

-Cause of death: Violent explosion occurred inside the core area due unknown chemical reaction. -

Even though information with a length of one sentence, Aiko got a brief idea about the cause of her death. She thought the reason was due to a shortcut made due to an unknown liquid making contact with a wrong part of her body. Seem there is more to that unknown liquid than it appears.

With her new information, Aiko has begun to collect remains of her previous body while converting all parts from large the thing and the newborn into essence except its sac containing the unknown liquid.

Sometimes later, she is able to collect every piece spread around the cave and form a shape by arranging them together.

By doing so, Aiko is able to study the working of her own body.

Despite its aged appearance, the internal work was both simple and complex as it had no electrical part.

From its close observation and tinkering, Aiko is able to get the gist of how each piece operates and moves but on the bigger picture encompassing the whole thing. It became incoherent and confusing.

Also, a big pearl-like thing, Aiko found in her head which, she can only explain as something acting as her brain.

But at least Aiko is able to understand her core and fuel. At first, while recharging her battery, she thought her body functions like a human body by sending the fuel to every part of her body. Now, she understood that her core is more like a car engine both in structure and function.

Her core was made of a fuel tank that directly connected the container holds some kind of thing that converts the fuel to power and sends it to transmission.

Despite its unique appearance, it has a simple structure that even novices like Aiko, who possess only surface knowledge, could understand its working and even think of some simple modifications.

Like a larger fuel tank, more gear, material change, or even something like turning the dual-core by adding another mysterious thing in the container.

But to do that, she needs material and tools other than just rock.

-Would you like to spend 100 exp to complete the 'Lesser Foreign Material' project ?-

'Yes.'

Aiko agreed without any hesitation.

-Project 'Lesser Foreign Material' complete. A new material, Mold. Available to be exchanged with essence. New projects unlocked.-

-Projects Unlocked:
Improved Body Material 1/10
'Mold' Breakdown: 1/100-

Going into the material tab, Aiko noticed a single material added on top of the list with an exchange ratio of 1kg for 50 essences.

Pressing one material's description, Aiko read its properties.

-Unique insulation material that can be shaped right after materialization and becomes solid after some time. Toughness and hardness continue to grow inversely in time. For the current version, the growth stops after reaching 72 hours mark. Extremely toxic to any living organism when consumed or introduced to soft tissue.-

Aiko smiled in delight.

She was missing exactly something like this. She could already begin to imagine the use of this new material.

First, she placed her previous body on the scanner for some hope of unlocking a new project, but sadly it only gave her 80 essences.

Then Aiko chooses to convert 100 essences first to get a general size Mold.

-Please receive your material.-

After the message, Aiko reached her hand towards the new thing that materialized on the platform and moved towards a light to get a closer look.

It was a cube with ash-like color that large as both of her palms. Despite its brick-like appearance, it gave off a very soft and sticky jelly-like feeling when it touched. She could even simply grab and rip off some part.

Aiko immediately starts to shape the Mold with her own hand.

Like fresh dough, the Mold has begun to change its shape under her hand. In that semi-solid state, it was easy to shape but at the same time. It was hard to maintain as it is easy to ruin by a simple bump or rough surface set on.

Also, the human hand and eyes were never such precise instruments to work on something bigger than itself.

Aiko understood she needed something with a smooth and level surface to continue her work. But sadly, she understood it only after spending almost a whole day trying shape by only using her hand and bumpy surface.

To her luck or not, there is no one here other than herself to mock her stupidity.

So she has begun to shape the Mold by spreading it on the part of the cave.

By using her perfectly square black empty box and newborn's liquid-filled sack as a makeshift ruler and level, Aiko was able to transform into small space into a smooth whiteboard with an even surface.

Now, she only needs to wait for the Mold to harden for about two or three days. Then she could make her other tools and more.

But the things will not wait for her to finish her work. Taking another few of her stone knives from cube Aiko walked towards her usual spot waiting for another prey while observing her fuel timer.

* * *

Sangwook's final destination was her father's private island, but he was on a plane heading toward the US. He had something to do before that.

Sangwook stepped inside one of the top universities in the world. Any person would look at someone with envy just for getting into this university.

‘This is the best years of their life.’

Sangwook looks at the students conversing with each other as they moved through the campus. He thought like an old grandpa. Despite only a couple of years older than them.

“Ah! She's over there.”

It wasn’t difficult to find the person he sought in the crowd of students. Her attention was focused elsewhere, but her blooming beauty struck out. He would recognize his sister no matter what she looked like.

“Hey, Taaliah.”

“Brother?”

The girl who had been walking and laughing with her friends widened her eyes when she saw him.

“This is too much. Why do you have to pick me up? I’m old enough now.”

Taaliah grumbled as she packed up her belongings inside her dorm room.

Sangwook already had an excuse.

“I guess they still see you as a young girl. I can’t do much since this is an order from our mothers.”

“I’m only a year younger than you.”
She shot back. However, Shinwoo just shrugged.

“Maybe, they don’t think of you as trustworthy. What did you always say in the past? 'I am the daughter of a noble person who saved the kingdom...!"

* Oof!*

Taaliah threw the clothes in her hand toward Sangwook, and he caught it in an exaggerated manner. But what he said was true as their father really saved the kingdom. That governed by their grandfather.

“I told you to never bring that up again!”

Taaliah shouted back at him, it was one of many embarrassing things she had done during her childhood. Tears appeared in Shinwoo's eyes as he laughed. She glared at him as she approached him and snatched the piece of clothing from his hand.

“Give it back! What are you doing holding your sister’s underwear!”

“You threw it at me. Stop being delusional. I have no interest in my sister’s underwear.”

Taaliah snorted as she resumed packing her luggage.

“How’s school?”

“it's ok.”

Even though her voice sounded sharp, she answered every question he posed to her. Sangwook crossed his arms as he leaned against the wall.

“You really are something. You're a Player born with enough talent and unique skill to become one of the highest rank Players in this world, yet you chose to go into dungeon research. Either way. Like us, you’ll still have to involve the dungeons in some way or another.”

Maybe it is due to their father's influence every one of them has been born with unique skills and naturally awaked as a player during their childhood. Making them strong as C-ranked players despite receiving no prior boost or training. However, Taaliah had chosen the path of a researcher.

Due discovery of new dungeons and new materials almost every day, the researchers would always work under heavy pressure. Despite that, they would receive almost no day-off or a salary worth their hard work. But as the player, she would earn almost three or even five times the salary of a researcher and a plus day off.

Despite all that, she chose to silently walk down the road of a researcher.

“It's probably Mom’s influence. Well, I don’t regret my decision. Research is fun.”

Taaliah let out a burst of bright laughter. There wasn’t an ounce of negative emotion on her face.

‘She's the daughter of mother Amima. I guess it can’t be helped.’

It seemed like Taaliah had inherited the researcher's blood of her mother, the famous researcher Aretas Amima a second wife of her father.

“Then, you can focus only on being a researcher. Father and us can provide your living expenses and research material. It won’t be too hard for us.”

“I can’t live off Dad or Brothers and sisters forever. I’m good. This is my life, and I’ll take care of myself.”

‘She’s so headstrong.’

Sangwook was worried that his sister had to work so hard, but at the same time, he was proud of her.

“If that’s what you want, I’m fine with it.”

“Yes. I really love my life right now.”

A big smile appeared on Taaliah's lips, and Sangwook laughed along with her.

“I’ve always been curious about it. Why did you call yourself the daughter of the man who saved the kingdom? Our father saved the whole earth. If you were going to make some teenage fantasy, it should've been closer to reality...”

“Get out of here, you dick!”

In the end, Taaliah kicked Sangwook out of her room and didn't let him enter until she had packed all her luggage.

***

After picking up Taaliah, Sangwook headed to his next destination, London. The two of them caught a taxi at the airport and arrived at a house with a luxurious design. They passed through the large front gate to reach a garden.

“I don’t know how he can live here.”

Taaliah, who was dressed in comfortable clothing, looked at her surroundings. She sounded salty.

“I wouldn't be able to live here. It would be too suffocating and boring.”

“That's the difference between you and me.”

She heard a stiff voice. Taaliah turned toward the source of the voice with a frown. A teenager walked toward the two of them. He looked like a beautiful young man from a shoujo manga. There was a dignified look on his face, but his face still looked young. That was why his appearance looked a bit unbalanced.

“You're so stuffy.”

“I’m better than you. You don’t even know how to observe basic courtesies.”

“Hey, let’s stop fighting. It has been a while since we’ve seen each other. We should get along.”

Sangwook got in between his two siblings, but it was an empty gesture.

“She’s the one who picked a fight with me.”

“I can’t get along with him.”

Both his siblings looked horrified when Sangwook suggested that they all get along. Sangwook let out a sigh.

‘Well, they’ve always been like this.’

Taaliah was a free spirit, while Maxwell always followed the rules. Their personalities were like oil and water.

‘They are the same age, so why can’t they get along?’

No, them being the same age might have made it worse.

“I can talk to mother Anais, but he’s too rigid.”

“I should be the one saying that. Mother Amima is a free spirit, but she always observes her manners. She's different from you.”

Thankfully, the two of them didn’t despise each other’s mother. That was a relief.

“Our family is well known around the world. Our history is short, but our father accomplished the greatest achievement in human history. We are part of that family. That's why we have to be careful in each of our actions. If we act recklessly, we will sully our father's and mothers' names.”

“Stop saying such ignorant things. This is the twenty-first century. Who cares about family names? Why should I care what others think about us? I’ve done nothing wrong, and that should be enough.”

Their words clearly showed their ways of thinking.

‘I’m sure their mothers had a big influence on them.’

It was always like this in every era, but the world needed the ingenuity of scientists. Taaliah became influenced by Amima’s worldview. She valued common sense and saw the world as a free spirit.

It was the same for Maxwell. After Britain became a constitutional monarchy, they had quickly adopted a representative democracy. They still had a monarchy and aristocracy. It was ironic; while they were progressive, some parts were still conservative. Maxwell’s great-grandmother was the queen, and his mother was treated like a princess and one who held the title of saint. This was why he and his big sister Grace having aristocratic manners and way of thought was inevitable.

Sangwook let out a sigh as he watched his siblings growl at each other. However, he soon let out a smile as it reminded him of the past.

‘They also acted like that when they were young.’

Thankfully, the two of them didn’t hate each other. They only bickered when they met. That was why he didn’t worry too much about them. With that, he continues his trip to collect his siblings.

* * *

"A bit lighter than iron one."

An ashen-colored hammer made entirely made out of Mold weighed on Aiko's hand. Placing a hammer on her hardened board, she took another good look at her board.

There were many hammers with various heads along with punches, chisels, and tongs laid on top of the board. Each of them was meticulously created by Aiko herself.

'Finally, my workbench!'

Aiko said to herself, her voice filled with the same satisfaction she felt in her heart. Now she can make legit weapons, armors, and other things. Plus thanks to the cube's recipe function, she doesn't have to worry about breaking or losing her tools.

"Now, then."

Aiko reached her hand towards one Mold she prepared in advance. The Mold is shaped like a long stick about two meters long.

After working with the Mold for some time, Aiko discovered good timings for each stage of shaping. The piece she is about to work aged one day after giving a general shape.

With giving one day the Mold's is already solidified, but it is still in a very malleable state as its hardness and toughness are in the early stage. It was a good time for refining its shape and giving a general edge.

Aiko placed the stick on the board then, placed her thumb on the end of a stick and stretched her middle finger to the point where it could reach.

The hand span, most simple and effective measuring method without a ruler.

After taking its measurements, Aiko took a small chisel and placed it on the point where her middle finger reached before giving a hit with a hammer. She repeated the cycle again until a distinct line was made on the stick separating the head and body of the spear.

Then she has begun to shape the spearhead using a hammer with a more heavy head. In the first stage, it didn't require much finesse, as she only needed to shape the head point and narrow the line she made.

Sometimes later the stick's shape transforms to look like a proper spearhead with a bit thin line separating a wide flat head and shaft.

Changing into a more comfortable hammer with a long straight head. Usually, at this stage, one needs to further refine the shape and flatten the head then, create an edge by using the grinder.

But Aiko doesn't have such things like that, so she has to shape the edge with her hand. And if she wants a good edge she must shape it two times, one for each day. First to shape the edge when it's in a hard yet malleable state. Then, refine it further when it gets more hard on the next day.

But sadly, that was the best-case scenario in Aiko's head. She knows that she is in the middle of those things territory. At the same time, she has to break her concentration from time to time to refuel her bank.

'Speak of the devil...'

Noticing a shadow and faint familiar sound, Aiko let out a long sign -though missing both mouth and lung- and took up her dagger to deal with an intruder.

-Headquarter: Lv.0
Exp: 0/1000
Completed Projects: Improved Black Box Lv1, Lesser Foreign Material.
Essence: 740
Reserve Exp: 100-

4