Chapter 6- Royal Intervention
293 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking through the entrance I was in awe of how beautiful this chamber was. It wasn’t as large as the main chamber we passed through on the way over here. However, the room overcompensated for its lack of size with an aesthetic value that was way beyond anything else I’ve seen so far.

The walls were adorned with glowing green moss that bathed the room in the light green hue that I observed in the hall. Furthermore, all over the wall, there was a mind-numbing array of termites of different sizes and designs.

A termite twice the size of Grubby with an even larger head and mandibles barrelled into the chamber through another opening. It sauntered with a focused and determined gait in a somewhat systematic manner as if it was patrolling. Focussing on it as I did with Grubby, I felt the tug on my mind and the table that now appeared before me.

*Status*

Name: N/A Species: Cleial Isopteran (Soldier)
Gender: Female Level: 16
Health Points: 220/220 Endurance: N/A
Strength: N/A Vitality: N/A
Agility: N/A Intelligence: N/A

 

Not far from it, I observed another type of termite. This one gave me the most interest, however, because although it wasn’t as big or as sturdy as the soldier it was darker, streamlined, and sleek, and the thing that fascinated me most, it had wings. Focusing on this one as well, along with the familiar tug and then the table popping up before me came something unexpected.

*Status*

Name: N/A Species: Cleial Isopteran (Alate)
Gender: Male Level: 13
Health Points: 85/85 Endurance: N/A
Strength: N/A Vitality: N/A
Agility: N/A Intelligence: N/A

 

*DING*

<Inspect Lvl 1> has levelled up! (Lvl 1 > Lvl 2)

The table blinked out of existence for a while and with it came the nauseous feeling that I had when my skill <Pheremone Communication> evolved but to a lesser extent. I wasn’t allowed to dwell on the feeling too long as the table soon blinked back into existence and with it some changes to the information displayed.

*Status*

Name: N/A Species: Cleial Isopteran (Alate)
Gender: Male Level: 13
Health Points: 85/85 Endurance: ???
Strength: ??? Vitality: ???
Agility: ??? Intelligence: ???

 

I guess that level up meant I could now analyze the *Status* of other creatures to some extent because I still was unable to read stats like Strength and Agility. Movement in the corner of my mind occupied my attention and my consideration of the level up was short-lived.

At another part of the chamber, a group of termites was pooled together and moved as a writhing mass of purpose. They appeared to be circling a protrusion or some kind from the earth, except this protrusion, appeared to be pale and… moving?

What was even more confusing and to my dismay was Grubby appeared to be heading in that direction, heading directly towards that protrusion. The closer we got to it the more I realized the pressure wasn’t coming from the room… It was coming from whatever that thing was.

Grubby came to an abrupt stop outside the writhing mass, which I realized was a lot and I mean A LOT of workers. So much so that I was unable to tell where one began and the other ended. Slowly Grubby bent her legs and performed what I could only consider as a bow??

Ah, getting sick and tired of my slow to put two and two together brain I hurriedly did the same. I felt so stupid, Grubby told me what we were going to do and exactly who we were going to meet. But lost in my curiosity and intrigue at the chamber and its inhabitance it slipped my mind.

It clicked into place as my head was pressed to the ground, this protrusion wasn’t a protrusion at all. I just couldn’t believe that the massive structure could be anything but that, but as I peered up at it from my position I realized it was undulating... It was alive... It was the Queen

Seemingly waiting for my realization, the writhing mass abruptly stopped and slowly separated. It was then I realized that the “protrusion” I was seeing was just an abdomen… one the size of a schoolbus… I wondered what that was but intuition told me it was something that accurately depicted the massive body part. Tracing the abdomen from where eggs were produced at a pace that only the mass of workers could keep up with I followed the body of the creature up past the thorax and to its head. Where my body froze up because I realized on the head of the Queen its eyes were locked with mine...

As if analyzing me and my worth and potential and the value I could bring to the colony; our eyes remained locked for a while before a voice not only pleasing to my ears but also filled with righteous authority and responsibility sounded throughout the whole cave.

“ Hello young one, this worker here tells me you’re the first of the “special” clutch. It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the colony. Work responsibly, guard fervently, and ensure that future generations are secured for you will soon come to realize that there is no greater responsibility.”

I instinctively felt it wasn’t pheromone language but the Queen using some other force to project her meaning into sound, which was interesting. I also realized as she began speaking all movement within the chamber ceased as if everyone single termite was stuck in worship at her voice. Immediately after though the writhing mass resumed movement and the queen was enveloped by them once more.

On cue with the feeling that my audience with her was over, Grubby spoke “Follow me now. We head back to the chamber.” Not waiting on me to ruminate on the words of the queen either, she rose and disappeared through the opening we came from.

Empty-mindedly following behind her I was still absorbed with my previous experience. The enrapturing voice of the queen resounding throughout my head, the responsibility she spoke of eluding me. The fact that something about my “clutch” being special replayed in my head, is that why I experienced that soul-rending pain back inside the egg, is that why it felt like I had memories that I knew nothing about… is that why so much weird stuff with notifications, tables and something that seemed like a system was happening to me...

We arrived back in the chamber I was born in when I got out of my thoughts. Grubby was still observing the eggs- well the remaining eggs that hadn’t hatched as I saw another 4 termites that were grouped in the corner. They were oddly white and looked very frail… is that what I looked like? Seeing as Grubby was effectively ignoring me I sauntered over to the group.

They were apprehensively staring at Grubby I could feel, as they stood completely still and their eyes focused on her but as I walked over their eyes veered over to my direction. Trying my hardest to seem friendly I walked over as non-menacingly as possible and strenuously tried to communicate…

“Hi, I friend. You friend?” was the best that I could manage with <Pheremone Language>. In return, I felt that the one in front turned around to its compatriots with its antenna moving rapidly before shortly turning back to me, and a feeling of agreement and friendliness I assumed was transmitted. Ah, they have <Pheremone Communication> I concluded. This was going to be difficult…

16