Chapter 27- Questions
107 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Swarming insects were always a problem for human survival. Building a city within even 100-kilometer proximity to the creature's nests was just asking for trouble. I remember the battle at Howlingzer, it was a city famed for its impenetrability as no force was able to rest away control from the City Lord. However, he made a terrible oversight in the location of the city, he didn’t pay the neighboring blossoming colony of termites any mind until it was too late. They came upon the city like rain, quite literally falling from the sky, in their ranks were multiple soldiers capable of flight. They even boasted individual creatures with unimaginable power that tore the city walls asunder. The only way I was able to make it out alive was thanks to the Void Arch-mage Koleperna, god bless her soul. But I digress, any type of swarming insect is a danger to human survival…. well if provoked”

- An interview with Bestiary Grandmaster Opelu

11.png

 

{Unknown POV}

 

For as long as I could remember the urge to grow, to become more, and to expand has been ingrained in my being. A base instinct that only revealed itself to me after having made a life-changing decision. A base instinct that I originally had ignored but one that became increasingly more dominant ever since that happened.

I vaguely recall my earlier days of existence. Days that flew by and scenes that came to me fragmented; for those were days that my mind was shrouded in darkness. Introspection and conscious thought that I was now capable of were extremely rare instances back then. Nevertheless, I remember that clearly.

It happened on one of those scarce days where my mind was faintly under the influence of the spark. I remember idling about in a space quite similar, albeit a little smaller, to the one I occupied now. Without warning, everything I knew and even the things I didn’t were taken from me.

The first oddity was the rumbling of the earth, and I remember the curiosity I held towards the whole thing initially. If only I had paid more attention to what was happening around me I would have realized something was wrong. The vibrating sound coming from the walls was unnatural, it was abnormal, it- it wasn’t right. But the spark I held at the time didn’t allow me to notice that. For all it caused me to feel concerning the sounds flowing through the earth was curiosity.

The very curiosity that most likely saved my life, as I was drawn to a portion of the wall from which the sound was coming. Drawing nearer, I was ignorant to the restlessness and palpable fear emanating from the lifeforms behind me. No. I wasn’t ignorant… it just seemed irrelevant at the time, because as I was right before the wall I realized the sound to be some sort of… digging?

That was the last thought destiny had allowed me before everything I knew was ripped from me, all but the spark. The only thing that allowed me to stand where I am today and to hopefully achieve the things I needed to, and I needed revenge.

The base urge to expand twisted into something else- the need to conquer. To impose the same tragedy and experience on the ones who took everything away from me, but looking at the empty seat beside me I wondered if I had gone too far… It was too late to regret, and I knew that so instead I refocused my attention towards the large disturbance stumbling into my quarters.

 

{Crete POV}

 

The termite general was nice enough, to say the least. He didn’t react in the way I feared he would so that was something. And as the 8 of us experienced his complete co-operation in telling us all that we might ask and he was privileged to know, I wondered if my fears were in vain.

Firstly, from what he was aware of we were in the heart of the colony, what colony you might ask? Oh just a colony of Cleial Isopterans, nothing major right. You would be sorely mistaken if you thought that way, and sorely mistaken I was. Hearing him speak about the massive organization the 8 of us were born into, I was at a loss for words.

Never even in all my wildest dreams would I imagine that all the termites I’d seen on my way to and at the Queen's chamber could be only a hundredth of all my family members. Making a rough estimate of all the termites I had seen so far, I concluded it was roughly about 60. So that meant at the very least I had an extended "family" of another 6,000 members…

That wasn’t all he told us though. He also filled us in on the structure of our organization, the word seeming most fitting because something made me slightly abhorrent to call 6,000 unknown beings family. At the top, of course, were the Royals and under them were Soldiers, termites like the general before us, ones that fought something. In addition, the Workers, termites like Grubby, were beneath the Soldiers, and at the very bottom were the Nymphs.

I was curious where we would fit in though, because according to what the soldier, who I decided to call Rock from now on, “Champions” aren’t a part of termite society. Rock’s slightly surprised response, when I told him we were Champions also let me know that probably only the Queen would be able to answer that question.

Rock also told us about the surrounding area and the geography around our mound. We were in a slightly mountainous region, rich in minerals he called granite and basalt. It was also home to a few inactive volcanoes. As a result, flora, and fauna were abundant, he also implied our existence was mostly uncontested aside from the few apex predators in the region, and according to him our "enemies".

The word was filled with undisguised animosity, and I could feel there was a hint of disgust and disdain mixed in there for some reason. However, I ignored it, because the fact that he had said we would soon be able to explore the outside world was too enticing for me to think of anything else. He spoke of groups of termites that would go on expeditions to the surrounding areas in search of food and materials to sustain our ever-expanding group.

I would soon be able to explore beyond the earth-laden walls on the mound and sate my curiosity. The elation I experienced about possibly being able to discover new plants and inventing new things with my <Apothecary> skill was overwhelming.

But Rock’s clarification that we would only be venturing out to the already discovered areas dampened it a bit. He said that beyond the areas frequently cleared out and patrolled by them, the possibility of death was very high, even for him. The apex predators in the region were nothing to scoff at apparently as with a heavy tone he recalled his experience with one of them.

Ai, I remember it clear as day. How foolish the 5 of us were, young generals drunk on our newly achieved power. It was raining that night, and I don’t remember which of us suggested it, but the plan to challenge one of the 'considerably weaker' apex predators came up. And juiced up as we were on confidence, we set out to do it. However, we didn’t even last 5 minutes and the only reason I survived was due to the fact that I was the rear guard. And probably because the creature was too bored to give chase…” his words were shocking to me.

I imagined a threat that 5 Rocks couldn’t handle, 5 termites that had the ability to move that monstrosity of rock that all of us failed to even nudge… -they weren’t even able to last 5 minutes? I wanted to dismiss it as him over exaggerating, but I could tell based on his slowed down pace and audibly lower voice, he wasn’t joking.

My recent experience with overconfidence still fresh on my mind, I made a stern mental note to avoid leaving the discovered areas as much as possible. The idea of me or any of my siblings becoming a meal because we wandered unknowingly into some creature's domain was discouraging enough.

It wasn’t long after that, however, that we were upon the same incline leading towards the Queen’s chamber. Another encounter with the mysterious and ‘all-powerful’ termite was upon us- well me because it would be their first time meeting her. Looking back, I could tell they were nervous but with a little encouragement and nudging from me I felt them stiffen up and confidence beamed from their eyes.

 

{Amore POV}

 

The confidence boost our brother gave us was a lifesaver for the 7 of us. He already had experience with meeting the Queen, so his words of reassurance washed away a majority of the nervousness. But walking up the incline towards the literally glowing opening, I felt it creep slowly back up to my carapace.

No matter how much Crete downplayed it, the 7 of us were very aware of the importance she held. She was our creator; she had made our existences possible and taking a step beyond that she gave us purpose. A purpose that although still shrouded, was obviously vital; We had learned just not long ago that the 8 of us were one of a kind.

The fact that there were no other termites in the whole mound that were like us was even more nerve-wracking than anything else. What were we made to do? What could be our purpose? What if one of us ended up failing the Queen’s expectations? What would happen to them? Would I lose one of my dearly cherished brothers or sisters because they were deemed inadequate? I needed to know, as much as it scared me because I wouldn’t let it happen- I couldn’t let it happen.

Welcome my beloved sons and daughters. I have waited so long for this moment. To finally be able to see the fruits of my labor and the bringers of change. I know you all have questions so I will be answering 3, that’s all I would be able to answer for now. You may rise

The voice resounded throughout the room and an overwhelming power came with it. It wasn’t tangible nor was it aggressive, no. I would say it was more of a power that implored you, instructed you, maybe even forced you to submit. I didn’t fight against the urge, however, and I felt it fizzle away, and judging by the way all of us were bowing down before the voice, my siblings didn’t either. And with those last words, we felt the pressure dissipate completely, and looking up I couldn’t hold back my shock.

What lay before my eyes was a behemoth of a termite, one that equaled the massive boulder in length, a few meters long. That wasn’t the most shocking part, however, as I observed a writhing movement in its abdomen as if something was slowly making its way through it. And something was indeed moving because in that instant I watched as a slightly oval-shaped object popped out from its rear end- an egg I mused.

Making my way up her body my eyes stopped at the Queen’s eyes. They were magnificent, I could feel the care and concern she held for us, as they considered each of us with love. “Honorable Queen, who is the enemy?” the moment was broken with the blurted-out words of my younger sister, Amara. I heard the Queen chuckle at the words of Amara before responding.

The enemy is a species on the other side of the mountains young one. The vile creatures are devoid of the spark I have as well as the one I’ve given to you all. They are a failed product of the Gods that unnervingly resemble us, albeit they lack the dignity and grace present in our forms. However, for all their worthlessness, the creatures are strong.” Disdain was obvious in her tone as she delivered a cryptic message with a barely noticeable dash of melancholy.

Her words didn’t specify what exactly the enemy was but seeing as she didn’t go into details none of us bothered asking anymore. It was then that Crete asked the burning question on all of our minds, however. “Honorable Queen, my siblings and I have seen the results of your effort and we’ve heard of the family you fostered. However, we’re not sure where exactly we fit in, in all of this. If you don’t mind could you enlighten us on our purpose in the colony, why were we made different?

My dear child, be not worried; your purpose is the greatest one that I could think of. I created you all to act as beacons within this colony. To lead all the other termites to face off against the enemy and other dangerous creatures as we advance and expand our reach. I gave each and every one of you the ability to become more than your other brothers and sisters. I gave you something special, something that would aid you in protecting and safekeeping the colony.” Her words stopped there, once more delivering a cryptic message.

Those words left us in silence, however, each of us ruminating on what was just said. We were supposed to be leaders? To be safe-keepers? To be protectors? How could we- when we couldn’t even move a rock. I doubted that any one of us, even Dynamis, was stronger than even the weakest of the generals.

So how then were we supposed to lead our other siblings into battle? Was the purpose the queen gave us impossible from the start? Or was there something else we were unable to see that gave her such confidence- wait she mentioned something special... “Honorable Queen, what is the special something you gave us that would enable us to achieve our purpose?

Quite perceptive young one. The special something I gave you is the very thing that allowed me to become what I am today. I gave you the one thing I’ve never seen in another one of our species. I gave you the spark.” She stopped for a moment to let her words sink in before continuing.

My decision didn’t come without a price, however, because in giving you the spark I lost my ability to reproduce-At least temporarily. The Gods placed the restriction on me for sharing the spark, but it can be removed. You all need only bring back the flesh of high-tier creatures for the ability to return. So bear in mind that you have the weight of the colony’s future on your carapaces and move cautiously. That is all, you may leave now, the general will show you the way.” Were her last words before her head lay back down on the floor, fatigue present in her eyes.

From the way she spoke, I concluded she was still recovering from making us. The thought that my existence had caused her injury was heavy on my mind. But seeing the general turning around to head out of the room I had to follow behind before throwing one last departing glance at the Queen- my mother.

 

{Crete POV}

 

As we left the Queen’s chamber I ruminated on what she said, about our purpose and what made us special. Could it be that the odd visions and scenes I was constantly witnessing were all part of her plan? I doubted it- because I remember asking my siblings if they experienced something similar and they all denied it. So what could be the reason I witnessed those things? I was curious but I didn’t know where to start in deciphering them, so I pushed it to the side for now.

Rock led us through the passage, and we came upon the same large chamber but this time we ascended the walls and went straight up through the hole in the ceiling. We ascended for longer than all of the distances I walked before combined before arriving in another chamber that only had two openings. The one going further up, I subconsciously dismissed, seeing the general walk towards the one straight ahead, which was quite frankly the biggest opening I’d seen to date.

The rapid movement of workers into and out of the mound, however, gave me an idea of why it was so big. The contents of the incoming termites also aroused my curiosity and giving the different articles a quick inspection with my <Apothecary> skill, I felt enraptured by what I now realized the opening led to. The outside world.

Spider Leg: mixtures unknown (consume the material to discover)

Mantis Arm: mixtures unknown (consume the material to discover)

Aphid Remnant: mixtures unknown (consume the material to discover)

Frog Foot: mixtures unknown (consume the material to discover)

Goblin Head: mixtures unknown (consume the material to discover)

There were a lot more different parts in the mandibles of his siblings, but I was unable to inspect the rest. Looking around I realized I was already being left behind, the general and the rest of his siblings already having exited the mound. So sprinting to catch up to them I zoomed past the entrance to the mound and into what I could only describe as the most beautiful thing I’ve seen so far.

A vast blanket of green covered the land before my eyes, with a variety of other colors stained over its surface. The immediate flora was non-existent, most likely due to the constant movement of termites, but a few tens of meters away from the mound stood tall “trees”. The intermittent sounds of the fauna flowed into my head, and I could see based on the stiff postures of my brothers and sisters this was a lot to take in for them.

And I couldn’t blame them either because truth be told this was a lot to take in for me too. For all my acting as the reliable brother, I felt helpless quite a lot and confused even more times, but I couldn’t let them know that. I was the termite they needed to lean on, I was their rock, and looking at the world before my eyes I knew now I needed to be way more than just a rock.

9