Chapter 3 – Hostile Entity
124 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“A coyote? I’ve heard myths and legends of nine tailed foxes and wolves…”

Erina sat down and brought her knees to her chest. Resting her head on her knees she fell into brief thought.

“Aren’t coyotes just inferior to foxes and wolves? Hmm.”

Erina stood up and took a deep breath, one that filled her lungs completely. With her now full lungs she began to shout.

“You damned gods! How could you do this to me?! I’ve been good in all my lives I’m sure! How have I wronged you?!”

Her shouting was interrupted by a voice, a voice she didn’t much care for in her rage.

“User Erina, please calm yourself, I detect a hostile entity outside of this cave. It seems to be what attacked you earlier. Oh, it seems to be moving closer.”

“Huh!? What!? What do I do?! System help me now!”

“I cannot provide any physical assistance though I can remind you that you have various skills at your disposal. You can activate them by performing the action provided in the description of the skill, or say the name of the skill you wish to use.”

“Ah!?”

In her panic she almost missed a shadow that seemed to be cast by the ‘hostile entity,’ and it was moving towards her. Of course Erina wasn’t afraid of shadows but rather what creates them, and what created this one seems to be an oversized lizard. Though it looked like a lizard, the shadow showed it to be much bigger than Erina herself.

Erina began to panic even further, she quickly opened her system, it was still on the universal page. Quickly scrolled to the skills hoping one would help her. Her eyes fell upon her {Coyote Bark}. She of course wanted to use this. However, she had a question.

“Shit! How do I bark?! System! How do I bark?!”

Before her system AI could respond Erina promptly began making noises similar to that of an ill dog. Sadly this did not trigger her skill.

“User Erina! Say the name of skill!”

“Ah, right! {Coyote Bark}!”

Immediately after saying this skill a sound was forced from her mouth, an actual bark! Erida of course waited before making her next move, unfortunately the shadow around the corner only paused before snickering. The shadow then began approaching faster.

“Uh oh! System help!”

“User Erina, please reference your skills and decide your course of action.”

“I’m starting to think you’re kind of useless. Also please just call me Erida!”

“Affirmative.”

Erina then of course referenced her system tab.

User - Erina

Race - Demi-Human

Sub-Race - Nine-Tailed Coyote

Age - 15

Level - 1

HP: 23/50

MP: 15/20

Strength: 7

Endurance: 3

Intelligence: 4

Wisdom: 1

Agility: 6

Dexterity: 8

Luck: 2

Skills:

Coyote Slash - Using your claws attack your enemy with a slash. Damage scales with strength.

Coyote Call - Any nearby coyotes of any shape or form will hear this call and has the option to come and help you, kill you, or ignore you. (5 MP)

Coyote Bark - Attempt to intimidate your foe with this rather intimidating bark. (5 MP)

??? - ???

Passive Effects:

Racial Traits - Once you earn your ninth tail you will be a figure of power, one that demands respect amongst all coyotes. Until then any coyote with less tails than you must treat you as a superior.

Recent Reincarnation - +33% to damage resistance, +10% Health Regen, +33% to Damage output

Noticing her ‘MP’ had decreased she wanted to ask questions but of course she didn’t have time. Racking her brain she decided to use two skills this time, both her {Coyote Bark} and her {Coyote Call}!

Attempting the {Coyote Bark} she realized she could instinctively bark! She, unfortunately, couldn't instinctively perform her {Coyote Call}.

“I hope I don’t regret this…{Coyote Call}!”

After saying the skill name, once again a noise was forced from her mouth, it was a howl! Now she could only stand her ground and hoped help would come.

The lizard-like creature snickered once again after hearing the very ineffective bark, but froze for a moment after the call. After this moment was over it began to sprint instead or prowl towards its prey. 

Bounding around the corner a green lizard the size of an Elk came face to face with Erina. This lizard had two red stripes, both starting from her ears. These stripes went along it’s entire body and ended by convening at the tip of the lizard’s tail. It also had bright blue eyes, to accentuate its green and red body color. Though it was smaller than Erida originally believe, reaching about her waist in height. 

The lizard glared at Erina, radiating hostility and killing intent. Erida of course was frozen in place, she had never encountered a monster in her previous lives. She never even left the village!

“Erina!”

“Huh?! Ah!”

Erina’s AI was kind enough to snap Erida back to reality. Erida of course immediately looked for a way to escape but before she could make her move, the lizard made its move.

It lunged at Erina, mouth wide, it clearly wanted to kill Erina as quickly as possible! It didn’t want to be around when whatever heard that call arrived. 

Erina stared into the jaws of death frozen, but her instinct took over and she jumped out of the way. 

CRACK

It seems she dodged in time, the lizard slammed face first into the stone wall of this cave. The lizard fell limp to the floor, though it wasn’t dead, just dazed.

Erina was no longer frozen in fear and began to back away, albeit slowly. Before she turned away to run, the lizard looked directly at her, it’s jaw hanging open showing a row of bent, shattered and chipped teeth. Erina’s instincts tools over once again as she shouted a skill name.

“{Coyote Slash}!” 

Lunging forward just as the lizard had, Erina used her hand, which she guessed were claws now, to slash at the neck of the lizard.

Piercing the tough lizard’s skin, her hand had made quite the wound. Unfortunately she had underestimated her opponent. The lizard winced from pain, but then promptly attacked back at Erida with its claws.

Erina took a quick step back and dodged the swiping claw, then she made a realization.

“Oh my, you’re quite slow! Haha! I shouldn’t have expected more from a big dumb lizard.”

Erina then stuck her tongue out at the lizard, causing it to become enraged. Unfortunately for the lizard Erina quickly lunged once again, except this time she was slashing for its eye! Erina was right, the lizard was quite slow, it couldn’t bring its own up to counter or block in time before it had lost half its vision.

Before Erina could taunt the lizard once again a system window appeared in front of her.

Congratulations! Due to your achievement of critically injuring an opponent for the first time, you have leveled up!

You have been rewarded 10 Stat Points, as well as 10 skill points.

New skill unlocked!

Coyote Growl - Attempt to intimidate your opponents with this slightly more intimidating tactic. (10 MP)

3