Chapter 4
292 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The receptionist here stood stunned for a few seconds, before coming back to reality. "Yes, of course. Let me get the head." The man moved to the back and went upstairs.

While we waited, I took a better look around the place. Although the side we entered from was something more like a bar or something, this side had a few desks with receptionists, something that looks like a bulletin board and… this is one of those "Adventurer's Guild"s, isn't it?

It wasn't too long until the secretary came back with an older woman. She took a look at the body and ordered the man, "Take the body to the back." She then turned to us, "Is the little one related?"

Kaya responded, "Yes, she is the one who discovered the body."

The woman's reply was terse, "Understood. You three, with me."

We followed her through the back door and upstairs into an office. There were a large number of books here. I wondered about the technology level here. Is the mass production of books possible, or…

"Please, speak what you know." She was already in position behind the desk, facing the three of us.

Kaya was the one who responded, "Yesterday afternoon, Latet decided to hunt Heinglers on her own to train. When she failed to return that evening, we started to get worried, and headed out early in the morning today to search for her. The guard at the north gate confirmed seeing her going out that day, but haven't seen her since. After questioning him, we saw this girl heading towards the town with Latet's staff. She guided us to the location of the body about one and a half meers away from town and carried the body here."

"Was the body in its peculiar condition when you found it?"

"Yes."

"What about you, little one?"

…Wait, me? I was expected to talk? If by 'peculiar condition', they mean that, then… I don't think I can lie here, Kaya probably has some sort of lie detection skill or Skill or spell or something.

"No."

Everybody else was visibly surprised by the answer. The head person was the first to regain composure. "I don't believe I've heard your name."

I signalled Yaten to let me down, then I curtseyed to her while making my introduction, "My name is Yuri-Ann." I half-hate these noble-like manners I had hammered in long ago, but it's best to be polite here, right?

"Of what house?"

"I do not belong to a house, Ms. head."

She appeared to get caught off guard by that. "I am Xedne of the Astoi house."

I nodded.

"Please recount the events before you met Kaya and Yaten, Yuri-Ann."

Oh, she managed to pronounce my name correctly. Wait, this isn't time to be impressed. "I was walking along the road, when…"

"What were you doing on the road in the first place? Were you with anyone?"

What is this, an interrogation? She's interrogating a child! …Yes, I'm a child for the sake of this argument. "I… don't know. I was alone."

"What do you mean you don't know? Did you just appear on the road one day?"

"Yes."

Another shocking answer, judging by everybody else's faces. I feel back in the other world, people would think I was joking around or just plain lying, but it seems here, some people can tell if someone else is lying. Seems like that can be a useful skill to have. Or Skill, whatever.

"…Was there anything unusual about the body when you found it?"

"There was a cut on the neck."

"Anything else?"

I had to think about it for a bit, but then I remembered one other unusual part of the body. "No bags."

"I see." Xedne seemed to take a moment to take in the information. "Little Yuri-Ann, do you have a home you can return to?"

Do I have a home? Yes. Can I return to it? I wouldn't have the foggiest as for how. "No."

"What are your plans from now on?"

Kaya was the one to speak, "We plan on taking care of her for the time being". I was surprised that she was the one to say that. Did something change?

"As adventurers?"

"We believe it's better than the alternatives, and I believe she has high potential for an adventurer and can assist where we are lacking."

"Understood. And little Yuri-Ann, you agree to this?"

Wait, am I about to become an adventurer? This is a development that I, uh… totally should've seen coming. "Yes." I had a lot of questions, but at the moment, I could only go with the flow.

She nodded. "Yaten, come with Yuri-Ann so that we can test her ability. Kala, you've been through a lot, so please take a break."

I followed Xedne with Yaten while Kala went her own way.

I began to think about what Kala said, about myself having 'high potential for an adventurer'. I don't remember showing anything that would indicate that. Could she be able to see my status? Although nobody indicated any knowledge of my 'Vampire' Race or my 'Blood Absorb' Skill. Wait, since I'm not a vampire right now, maybe my status is different?

I decided to take another look at my status. The results were surprising.

Ended the chapter here since I thought it was getting a little long, although I don't really think my chapters have been very long in general, but I'm mostly just going by feel. Unfortunately, I've been feeling sick the past while. At least with the sickness, I'm thinking less and thus able to do more? Is that how this works? I'm not sure. I do want to do something, so I'm doing this.

9