Chapter 16
199 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We each headed out into the meadow, and as we did lots of red birds flew up from the trees around us and started circling. Kala took out her bow while Yaten readied his spear and shield. I also readied the staff.

Since we had ranged attacks, Kala and I attacked first. Her arrows flew much quicker than my Dark Shot spell. Her attack hit the mark while mine was dodged. I noted the way it was dodged and shot a few more times, this time controlling the shots to compensate. Managed to get three of them when they started diving.

Their dive attacks were linear, but quick. Although I could dodge them, hitting them with the staff while doing so was difficult. I tried shooting at them while they were coming down but their dodge ability was strangely quick while they were diving. Okay, trying something else.

Wind Support Area.

Wind Support has the effect of making those benefiting from it move and react quicker, as well as making their movement lighter. Used an Area version so that the other two benefit as well, although it doesn't really seem like they need it.

With this, I was able to start hitting the khalia birds with my staff more consistently, and started mixing it up with magic spell attacks as well, also practicing with my Barrier. Wind Barrier magic in particular helped . Soon, all of the birds were down and a notification came up.

Increased Skill: Evaluate Strength, Staff Weapon Proficiency, Battle Awareness, Magic Control

I'll figure out the bonuses on the way back.


We started picking up the corpses of the monsters and putting them on a cart. Did I forget to mention the cart? We picked it up from the guild and are borrowing it, I guess. Yaten pulled it as we walked… he and Kala walked. I sat in it, so I didn't get too tired.

"I know I told you about the weak point, but it's amazing how often you got it. You either hit the weak point or not at all." Kala mused.

Oh geez, it's my first time fighting these birds. I had to get used to their movements.

…And if I can hit them, I'll hit the weak point. Why not?

After putting them all away onto the cart, we washed our hands and got ourselves Koskette from the basket.

"…Why are we having lunch here anyways? We can just go back for it, it hasn't been that long." Yaten pointed out.

"It's for her." Kala pointed at me. "She can fight well, but she seems to have issues with stamina, and I don't think she wants to ride the cart back." I looked back at the cart full of bird corpses, and shook my head. · · . "That's why we're taking a break."

"Gotcha." We each sat to eat, as Yaten turned to face me. "So, since you're… not from around here, let me explain what we're doing and why. The birds we're hunting are monsters that live in this forest. They tend to gather here and attack anybody who gets into the meadow. If their population grows too large, they'll expand their territory beyond the meadow and can start attacking travellers, so we need to keep their population down, hence why we hunt here every now and then."

I nodded. · . Makes sense, although… I looked towards the pile of corpses we got.

"We're taking the meat and feathers from the remains. You also need blood, right? We'll make sure to get the blood for you. Also, we'll need to make sure to purify the demon crystals."

We need to do what to what? ?

"What? We need to purify the demon crystals." I repeated the question.  ?

"I think she might not know what demon crystals are."

"But she's a demon."

"The demon crystals only appeared with the demon lord, who we heard earlier isn't actually connected to the demons. So the demon crystals are probably also unrelated to actual demons."

"Ah, right." Yaten scratched his head. "Demon crystals are what turns normal animals into monsters. Monsters being creatures who've lost their reasoning and indiscriminately attack people. Since people can become monsters too, we need to be careful and get these crystals to someone who can purify them. Every adventurer's guild has at least one person who can do that job, so we're taking it there."

I see. · . Well, as long as my other side gets the blood.


After we ate the meal, we walked back towards the town and then back to the guild building. To be honest, I was getting rather tired at this point. I really do need to work on my stamina.

We went to the side where there was a door large enough to bring the cart in. Inside were a few tables and buckets. There was someone at one taking a knife to a corpse.

"Oh, hey Kala, Yaten, and the new one." I bowed, although I couldn't really introduce myself.

Kala introduced me instead. "Her name is Yuri-Anne."

"Hello Juri-Anne." I cringed a bit. I forgot how much this bothers me. Part of why I've just avoided people in the past. "You three want me to handle that?" He pointed at the cart.

Yaten replied. "Could you please? Also…"

"You want to keep the blood, right? Yeah, I heard. It's no trouble. Go ahead and leave the cart, that Julie there looks like she needs some rest."

I didn't really like this guy, so I left with the others.


We went back to the main hall where I went to sit at a table.

"You're really feeling bushed, aren't you? We really need to do something about your stamina." Hearing what Kala said,  I nodded. · . Can't really disagree with that as long as I'm in this world.

"Are we done for the day already? I guess we can't do much while she's like this."

"Yeah, I think after she's rested for a bit, I can go shopping with her. Seems like she doesn't really have much with her right now, so it'll be good to get some stuff. What do you think?" Kala's suggestion sounded good. · .

"In that case, I'll just go do some training for today. Have fun you two." And Yaten left.

…I guess I have shopping to look forward to now. I don't really drive much excitement from shopping as is stereotyped of my gender. Or rather, I don't like spending money too much, so I end up playing the same games a lot.

Well, I'm not in the other world where I had plenty of stuff. I do need to get at least some things here. With my speech issues, having a companion with me will help a lot.

So things should go well, right?

Okay, so I was initially planning on adding some more backstory and it involved Yaten being kinda mean but I didn't really want that so much so another guy is being mean today. I'll find another way to get that backstory in.

So, looking at the poll, tengu and oni are… tied. Well, okay? Why these two, I wonder?

I think I might need to slow down my writing for a bit. I do have ideas as to how to introduce the new character and I have some ideas for later, but I sorta just came up with this shopping idea right now, since they sorta need something to do to fill out the day. Well, hopefully I can still keep it up at a good pace.

But if I can't, I can't. Sorry about that.

6