Floor 1, Chapter 25: Second Encounter
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at the guildhall, Kenji sat at the bar with Desmond and Sapphire as the other ladies were chatting at a table, and while the encounter with Septic Eel was explained to Flanigan, Kenji felt nothing but regret—not because he came across Argus again, but because he let that bastard walk all over him. Death threats. Smug looks. He couldn’t help but let those things get to him, and if Septic Eel ever tried to harm one of his guildmates, there’d be hell to pay. A grumbling mess, he sat quietly and drank from a tankard of ale.

“So they finally stepped into the ring,” Flanigan said as he wiped down the counter. “I knew they’d say something eventually, but damn. That sounds pretty intense.”

“Oh, believe me—it was,” answered Desmond.

“And do you think Argus meant it? Think he’ll try to mess with Kenji?”

“Probably. He’s never been the type to let things go.”

Flanigan sighed. “Yeah. He’s always been a first-class asshole…”

During their conversation, Sapphire stayed totally quiet, and technically wasn’t there to discuss the encounter. All she wanted was to drink. Meanwhile, Kenji wanted to rip someone’s head off, and though he didn’t say anything, he fumed like a volcano about to erupt.

But then, a soft hand touched his should from behind.

He turned to find Misumi there, wearing a smile that was totally at ease.

“Hey, there’s this really awesome bakery I know it about and we’re gonna pay it a visit,” she told him. “Wanna come?” She looked at Desmond and Sapphire. “You’re both invited too.”

A part of Kenji wanted to turn the offer down, but if he did, he’d just sit at the bar all afternoon and broil with anger, and that was good for no one. Maybe going into town for a bit would be good for him. Therefore, he acquiesced and accepted the offer, though Desmond and Sapphire turned it down, saying they’d rather relax at the tavern.

“Just be careful out there, guys,” informed Flanigan, glancing to the door. “Keep an eye out for any members of Septic Eel and steer clear of them, okay? No confrontation.”

Kenji reluctantly nodded along. “Got it.”

And with Amelia, Cleo, and Sinopa, he disembarked from the guildhall, following Misumi to this special bakery of hers, making certain to remain vigilant all the while.

They got lost at first, which should have been expected because of how terrible Misumi was with directions, but after she got her bearings, she started leading down the proper street…hopefully. No one else knew about the bakery, so they couldn’t be certain.

Along the way, they stopped at several shops and clothing vendors, while Sinopa insisted on visiting every fried food stall they found in order to prepare for the deliciousness at the bakery. She ate at least three meals worth of food in the span of a single hour. Also, Amelia peeked inside a shop window and saw the fluffiest teddy bear staring back, which she promptly purchased and named Lord Pudgeworth the Third, though she swore this one had no deific qualities and was just the namesake of the actual divinity. Meanwhile, Cleo stayed near Misumi and didn’t say much, though she would always talk when spoken too, and often with a grumpy voice. Having spent most of her life in the Cathedral, normal interactions in public were lost on her, and she felt more awkward that comfortable in the city. As for Kenji, he slogged through their antics with a tire slump of his shoulders and a look of pure boredom in his eyes, though he watched the crowds intently for any signs of Septic Eel.

It felt so disgusting to be looking over his shoulder constantly. To be fearful of what might randomly strike. He wasn’t in Japan anymore, and the school bullies were gone, but alas, new oppressors took their place. As he grimaced at the shops and stalls, Kenji knew he couldn’t let that fear take hold of him, and if he ever saw Argus again, there’d be confrontation. Real confrontation. Septic Eel wouldn’t become the new Yuuto and Hanako.

“I’ll show them,” he muttered. “By the time I’m finished with Dead-Eyes, it’ll be our guild who’s top dog in this city.”

By the time they reached the bakery, almost two hours had passed and Sinopa still raged with hunger, drooling at every cookie, pastry, cake, muffin, and loaf of bread. The shop was quaint like a meager family’s life-long dream brought to fruition; there were glass display cases full of baked goods for sale, a tingling bell over the door to signal the entry of customers, wooden floors that often creaked beneath footsteps, and few tables for guests to sit and enjoy their food or warm drinks. Coffee, tea, and hot cocoa—that was the bakery’s selection of beverages, and it was from girl named Linette that Kenji ordered black coffee.

She had golden hair tied into two short ponytails, a maid’s outfit, and an appealing smell like vanilla and honey, which must have come from working in the bakery. Apparently, she and Misumi knew each other, because they were talking like old friends catching up for the first time in ages. Meanwhile, Amelia and Sinopa were sitting at a table by the window and eating muffins as Lord Pudgeworth the Third sat idly between them, observing his kingdom. Cleo was staring into a display case, specifically at a pastry cut into the shape of a green flower, but she didn’t have enough money to justify purchasing it, so all she did was glare at it meanly. Twelve buckles for a single pastry was outrageous, but he wouldn’t miss this golden opportunity.

“Doth the lady seek nourishment?” uttered Kenji in a mocking, creepy voice. He proceeded to gasp sarcastically as she stared daggers at him. “But wait—her pockets are empty! If you ask nicely and say I’m your number one hero, I’ll spot you this time.”

“Piss off,” she puffed under her breath. “God, you’re disgusting.”

“I’ll even buy two.”

But she rolled her eyes at that and pouted. “Not gonna happen, you ugly pig.”

“Three?”

“I’m not biting, now do us both a favor and shut up.”

Finally, just to get under her skin a little bit more, Kenji pulled out the big guns and made an offer only the most prideful person in the world could refuse—and she would, since she was nothing but a living, breathing bundle of pride masquerading as a humanoid female.

“Alright, Princess.” He crossed both arms and took a deep breath, making certain his smug grin was visible. “I’ll buy you every one in stock. That’s like fifteen pastries. Now—are you gonna turn me down over a few measly words?”

Suddenly, Cleo put on a devious smirk that said ‘Checkmate, sucker’, and she faced him, proceeding to wear an angelic smile so wholesome and bright it lit up the entire bakery, irradiating everyone inside with peace, love, and happiness.

“You’re my number one hero,” she chirped like an abused shop worker always putting the customer’s needs above her own. “Now, please, Kenji, won’t you buy these for me?”

With her back turned to everyone else, that beaming smile twisted into a villainous gaze, like she could belt out evil laughter at any moment. Her eyes were cunning, downright evil. Her clenched jaw was biting hard on success. She had the upper ground.

Cleo’s voice turned meek like a little girl begging for candy. “You weren’t lying, were you? Please, Kenji—I don’t have enough money!”

At that point, Misumi, Amelia, Sinopa, and even Linette were watching, listening. He couldn’t go back on his word, not now. But still…fifteen pastries? At twelve buckles a piece, that would cost 180 buckles—a massive sum for just snacks.

“B-But I-I…”

“Well?” Cleo looked like Satan incarnate. “You’re not a liar, are you?”

And just like that, Kenji fell into a well-crafted trap that he himself helped build. Despite his reservations to spend so much money, he emptied two coin pouches to pay for the pastries, with Cleo snickering behind her hand as he counted out the gold, and when all was said and down, she shared a pastry with each of their friends—excluding him. Once again, Kenji shot himself in the foot by acting like a brash idiot, and now his resident adversary had one-upped him in a huge and embarrassing way. And as their group carried on inside the bakery, enjoying their treats, he hung his head in shame. Defeat tasted so bitter.

So as he slumped in disappointment, Kenji made his way toward one of the window tables and sat down, broken on the inside. Most of his money was gone now. And as Misumi chatted with Linette, as Amelia and Sinopa kept looking at every item available and Cleo browsed a nearby shelf of teacups and mugs, he longed to go back to the guildhall. At least there he could drown his sorrows in alcohol and complain to Flanigan about women—not that he’d find much consolation.

But as he sulked at the table, the bakery’s front door opened with a jingle, and in walked a hooded man, a Rogue of some kind. His boots tracked mud on the floor and exuded tense vibes, like he was impossible to trust. Something about just wasn’t right, and there was no way a guy like that was there to pick up his favorite pastry.

As soon as the man entered, Linette froze in place and gulped, a fearful expression draining the life from her eyes. She yelped for her father to come out of the back room. In his dark cloak, the bakery’s newest guest lingered center of the room, and everyone turned to stare in his direction.

“The money,” he asserted with grim, unwavering resolve. His voice was rugged, as if he’d seen many horrors and lived to tell the tale. “Do you have it?”

By that time, Linette’s father emerged from the back room of the bakery, and he went pale upon seeing the man, though he took on a stronger gaze after a moment, hiding any fear or weakness.

“It’s not due for another month,” he voiced.

“Things change. Master wants it now, so pay up.”

At that point, Kenji rose up from his chair and watched carefully, waiting for the man to bite off than he could chew.

“Linette?” Misumi puzzled. “What money is he talking about?”

But she was not given an answer, not until the hooded man spoke again.

“The money this family owes our guild.”

“What could they possibly owe a guild for?” Kenji asked, causing the man to turn in his direction. “They’re a bakery, for crying out loud.”

“Yep. And they’re still around because our guild bailed them out a year ago,” the man answered. “They went under, we pulled them back up. Naturally, we charged interest, which they have yet to pay.”

Suddenly, Linette’s father piped up, “Because you raise the required sum every time we make a payment!”

“And? Your business is profitable. You can afford it and much more.”

“For now, yes, but it isn’t sustainable. Whenever we recuperate our income, you come back to take more from us! We’re forced to raise out prices far too often!”

Kenji held his tongue, wondering who the hell that man was. They were abusive of people they claimed to have helped. They stole money through intimidation, and damaged the lives of a good family who didn’t deserve it. And they called themselves a guild…

How disgusting.

“Who are you?” Kenji interrogated. “They said they didn’t have the money, so just leave them alone. Come back in a month. That was part of your deal, wasn’t it?”

The Rogue smirked beneath his hood. “Excuse me, kid, but I don’t remember asking for your input. They owe, I collect. It’s simple. Who are you to intervene?”

“I’m with a guild too, and we don’t like it when dirtbags like you push others down and kick them for trying to stand back up. All you do is leech off other people’s misery.”

“And what guild are you with?”

As Sinopa tried to intervene and shut him up, Kenji blurted out their guild’s name proudly, since he believed they’d stand up for the same things as him. Nobody should be tolerant of intimidation and harassment. However, Sinopa slapped a hand over her own face as if he had really screwed up.

“Rat’s Ass, you say?” the man questioned. He paused, glancing to every face in the bakery one by one, letting his gaze end on Linette’s father, Vincent. “You know what? Keep the money. Think of it as a gift from us to you. In fact, we’ll forgive the debt entirely.”

“Are you being serious?” Vincent asked.

“Dead serious. Just remember, though, it’s not us you have to thank, but the kid’s guild instead. He’s…convinced me. We won’t be bothering you anymore.”

The faces of Linette and her father seemed too bewildered to reply, and they just glanced at each other, disbelieving that their debt was forgiven. It was like a dream come true. And yet, something didn’t feel right, like bug just beneath the skin trying to scratch its way out. Just who was that man and what guild did he belong to?

But before Kenji had the chance to ask, the cloaked entity gave him a deadly smile and walked out, causing the door to jingle behind him and a thick silence to wash over the bakery. Everyone was a combination of confused and worried, though it was Linette who broke their daze and hugged her father, relieved to have finally been set free of their debt. However, Kenji knew better than to trust a stranger, and he asked her what guild she had gotten a loan from.

His heart sank when she gave an answer.

For from his mouth came the words that made him enraged and anxious at the same time, for he had just pissed off that guild for the third time. Indeed, Linette’s bakery had received a loan from none other than Septic Eel, one of the most powerful and largest guilds in Duncaster. Hopefully, his outburst wouldn’t come back to haunt him, but from his own experience with bullies in the past—he had probably just started a war.

1