Rin, The Adventurer, Part Twelve
182 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Rin and Alea stepped back into the room, they found themselves met with an unexpected exchange between Xhez and the healer.

Xhez, standing before the man with an air of transparency, revealed her true nature without hesitation.

"I am a water sprite," she declared, her voice carrying a hint of solemnity.

[HUH!???] 

Alarmed, Rin ran forward. 

"X-Xhez, what...!?" 

"He knew already," Xhez then told her. "I do not know how he found out, but he knew I was not human." 

[Crap.] 

"Do not be afraid," the man said, holding a hand up. "My curiosity does not come from a place of hostility. I merely wanted to be sure. So," he lowered his head. "You are a water sprite." The man nodded thoughtfully, his gaze shifting between Xhez and Rin. "I see. And what brings you here? It was my understanding that your kind were not particularly interested in interacting with humanity." 

[He knows about water sprites?] 

Xhez's demeanor remained composed as she began to explain.

"Rin and I... have formed a bond. We are allies. I am here to support her." 

Hearing her put their relationship into words like that, Rin couldn't help but feel a swell of pride.

The man's curiosity piqued, prompting him to inquire further.

"May I ask how this bond was forged?" 

Xhez met the man's gaze, her expression serene yet resolute.

"Rin and I met a little over a year ago in the depths of the wilderness. Since then, we have journeyed together, traversing the land and facing challenges side by side. I did not know I could become so attached to a human." 

Xhez's gaze softened as she spoke.

"Rin and I have made a pact. She has agreed to take me on a journey around the world, and in return, I have pledged to aid her in any way I can. Thus, here we are." 

Jany, who had been observing the exchange with a mixture of confusion and curiosity, couldn't contain her questions any longer.

"But... how is this possible? A human and a mon... water sprite," she corrected herself mid-sentence, "forming such a bond?"

The man, sensing Jany's bewilderment, offered reassurance.

"This is indeed a remarkable occurrence, though I do find it comical that you, of all people, would ask such a thing, Jany." 

Instantly, the girl's face took on some guilt as the meaning behind those words reached her heart.

"But," the healer continued, "it is not unheard of in the annals of history. There have been tales of humans and spirits forging such connections. I never thought I'd see such a thing with my own eyes, however." 

With a grave expression, he then went back to the pressing matter at hand. 

Lisa.

"The girl's recovery will be gradual," he explained, his tone measured yet tinged with a sense of solemnity. "She needs plenty of rest for at least a few weeks. However, the curse she bears has inflicted irreversible damage to her soul." 

"Her Spirit?" Xhez asked, eyes widening. She leaned in close a little.

"Indeed. Though she will regain her health in time, the toll exacted by the curse will linger, diminishing her vitality, ultimately... it has likely shortened her lifespan."

Xhez, even more curious, asked: 

"And what about those who wield these curses as a weapon? Would it have the same effect on them?"

The man's gaze shifted, his expression grave.

"Indeed, it does. Historically, a few of our own shamans have attempted to do so. They always end up becoming shells of their former selves. Over time, the consequences were always devastating, leading to a premature end."

Rin's heart sank. Xhez looked up at her, as though she were asking for confirmation that she heard the same thing.

For a while, Xhez remained silent, her thoughts swirling with the weight of the man's words.

"... Is there any way to undo the effects? Remedy the situation? For Lisa's sake, I mean," Rin stepped in and asked. 

"If there is, I am unaware of it." 

---

As Rin and the girls made their way through the bustling streets of Cardana, the weight of the man's words weighed heavily on their shoulders. 

With Lisa still resting on Rin's back, the group navigated the winding pathways, their footsteps echoing against the cobblestone streets.

"Your friend has been taken care of and my debt is paid," Jany said. "I would advise that you leave as soon as possible. I will take you back out of the city. Please, follow me."

As they walked east, it became increasingly clear that their presence in Cardana was a precarious one. 

Rin glanced over her shoulder, ensuring that Lisa remained secure on her back, before turning her attention to Xhez.

The water sprite's expression betrayed a mixture of resignation and determination, her gaze fixed on the path ahead as though steeling herself for the challenges that lay in wait.

"How are you holding up?" Rin asked quietly, her voice laced with concern.

Xhez offered a faint smile, though the weariness in her eyes betrayed the weight of their recent conversation.

"I should have expected as much," she replied softly, her tone tinged with resignation. "I knew using this magic was having an effect on me, but... I had not anticipated that I'd be throwing away one of my natural gifts." 

Rin nodded in understanding. Xhez paused. 

"I do not regret it," she muttered. "I used it in times of great need and against humans who deserved nothing better. But... I do wish I had anticipated this. On the bright side, however, I did observe the man's spellsign fully. I should be able to alleviate the effects on my own, now. Rin," Xhez looked up at her, "are you sure you do not wish to go back and speak with that man again? Perhaps we could learn more about this place. Or, the magic we are dealing with." 

"Look around you," Jany answered on Rin's behalf. "People's patience is already wearing thin. You should leave." 

"Yeah, yeah, I get it," Rin placated her, hands up. "We'll go." 

[I do agree with Xhez. It's a bit of a waste to leave so quickly, but... Well, maybe we'll be able to come back someday. I hope so.] 

Later, they reached the outskirts of Cardana.

"So we're just gonna leave? You're not even gonna bother explaining any of that to me? I mean, what the fuck?"

With a sigh, RIn kept walking, though she did make a mental note to address her concerns later.

Someone stopped them, then.

A guard. 

"You should not leave the city," the guard declared, his tone brooking no argument.

Jany stepped forward, her brow furrowed in confusion. "Why?" she demanded, her voice tinged with urgency.

The guard's expression darkened.

"The shadows are particularly aggressive tonight," he explained, his words heavy with gravitas. "Anyone outside the walls is likely dead."

The girls looked at one another. 

"Let's just go," Rin said, her voice firm with determination. "We need to regroup with everyone." 

"Your funeral," the guard shrugged, stepping aside. 

On that note, they kept going, with RIn hoping they could make it back to the camp before anything happened to them. 

12