Rin, The Adventurer, Part Twenty-Two
226 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Rin}

The atmosphere around the camp was tense, heavy with the weight of recent losses and the looming threat of further danger.

Rin sat by one of the parked cars, her expression troubled as she watched Maria stride purposefully toward Mr. Harlan, her resolve evident in every step.

Maria's voice carried across the quiet camp as she addressed Mr. Harlan, her words firm and unwavering.

"Enough is enough," she stated plainly, her gaze unwavering as she met the older man's eyes. "We can't continue like this. The casualties are too high, and it's not worth risking more lives."

Mr. Harlan listened, his expression a mix of frustration and concern.

The weight of responsibility bore down on him as he considered Maria's words, knowing the gravity of the situation they faced.

"If we turn back now, you'll forfeit the payment," Mr. Harlan replied, his tone reflecting the practical realities of their predicament. "I'm not going to pay you for a failed mission."

Maria didn't falter.

"I'm willing to accept that loss if it means keeping everyone safe," she asserted, her voice carrying conviction and determination.

A tense silence settled over the group as Mr. Harlan deliberated, his gaze shifting between Maria's unwavering stance and the concerned faces of the other adventurers and workers.

Finally, Mr. Harlan made a decision, albeit with a compromise in mind.

"Let's put it to a vote," he suggested, glancing at Maria before addressing the group. "Raise your hands if you believe we should continue with the project."

The response was mixed, reflecting the internal conflict within the group.

Some hands hesitantly rose, while others remained firmly at their sides, echoing Maria's concerns.

Maria then stepped forward again, her gaze sweeping across the gathered individuals.

"And now, raise your hands if you believe we should prioritize safety and return to Libera."

This time, more hands went up, a clear indication of the prevailing sentiment among the group.

Maria's stance softened slightly, a hint of relief in her expression.

"We leave at first light tomorrow," she announced, her voice carrying a mix of determination and reassurance. "We'll tend to our wounded, gather our things, and head back. Safety first."

"Leaving immediately isn't possible," Mr. Harlan replied, his voice carrying the weight of their precarious situation.

"What?" Maria looked outraged. "Harlan, we put it to a vote. You-" 

"I am not saying we will not leave," Harlan put his hands up, interrupting her. "I am simply stating that a moving group is vulnerable. Easier to track and target. We'll be risking more lives if we try to move out now."

Maria's frustration was palpable as she listened to Mr. Harlan's reasoning.

She shook her head in disbelief. 

"But staying here is risking lives as well," Maria argued passionately. "We're sitting ducks if we wait. We need to act decisively and get to safety."

The tension in the air was thick, the conflicting opinions and the urgency of their circumstances creating a palpable sense of unease. 

"We'll send word to Libera for reinforcements," Harlan declared, his gaze sweeping across the assembled group. "Once they arrive, we'll leave together, stronger and better prepared."

A murmur of dissent rippled through the group, some nodding in agreement with Maria while others reluctantly acknowledged the rationale behind Mr. Harlan's plan.

Realizing that further debate might only deepen the divide among them, Mr. Harlan called for a vote once more, laying out the options plainly before them.

"Those in favor of waiting here for reinforcements, raise your hands," Mr. Harlan instructed, his tone measured yet decisive.

The response was a mix of raised and hesitant hands, some individuals swayed by the prospect of additional support while others remained unconvinced.

Maria, her jaw set in determination, raised her hand against the majority, her stance unwavering despite the odds.

The final tally revealed that the majority sided with Mr. Harlan's strategy, a decision met with a heavy silence that underscored the gravity of their circumstances.

Maria's frustration simmered beneath the surface as she exchanged a resigned glance with Rin and Alea.

As preparations began for their extended stay, Rin sighed. 

[I just don't get it. Why are these guys so desperate to stay here?] 

---

{Alea}

The old library stood silent and imposing as Alea slipped inside once more.

Before they left, Alea wanted to see if she could find anything else like the book she'd picked up. 

There was something addicting about it. She'd only read a few pages of that other book and yet she wanted more. 

Her footsteps echoed softly in the empty halls as she navigated the shelves, her eyes scanning titles and symbols in search of something familiar.

Lost in her little quest, Alea didn't notice the faint glow of lantern light approaching from the far end of the library.

It was only when she heard hushed voices and the sound of footsteps drawing nearer that she realized she was not alone.

Ducking behind a row of crumbling bookcases, Alea peered cautiously through a gap in the shelves.

Her eyes widened as she recognized Mr. Harlan, accompanied by two others from the camp, moving purposefully amidst the stacks of books.

"What are we looking for exactly, Mr. Harlan?" one of the figures asked, their voice a low murmur that carried through the stillness of the library.

"We're searching for a particular tome," Mr. Harlan replied, his tone tinged with urgency. "It contains a spell, a powerful one. If we can find it, we might have a chance!"

Alea's breath caught in her throat at the cryptic conversation.

Her mind raced with questions, but first and foremost:

[A chance to do what?] 

The gravity of their mission seeped into her consciousness, mingling with a sense of dread.

Eager to learn more yet wary of being discovered, Alea inched closer, her eyes fixated on the trio as they meticulously scanned the shelves and overturned dusty volumes.

Her movements, however, were not as stealthy as she hoped.

A misplaced step sent a small book toppling from its precarious perch, the sudden noise echoing loudly in the silent library.

Alea's heart pounded in her chest as she froze, her eyes widening in panic.

Mr. Harlan's head snapped in her direction.

"Did you hear that?" he asked, his voice carrying a note of suspicion.

She hadn't been spotted just yet. Alea wasn't about to wait for it to happen.

As quickly as she could, she cast a lesser {Invisibility} spell she'd picked up a while ago. It only lasted half a minute, but that was all she needed. 

As soon as it was activated, she bolted, running out of the library. 

Once she was back at the camp, Alea stopped. 

Panting, with sweat rolling down the side of her head, she thought: 

[The others need to hear about this.] 

10