Chapter 8: At The Amusement Park
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“But I did, last time…” John mumbled.

“Really?” Grace asked, dumbfounded.

“Yeah, a person’s heart stopped, but there was no defibrillator around. It was a good thing there were people there who knew how to do CPR, but still, having a defibrillator would’ve been ideal.”

‘…Okay.’

“What about the inhaler?”

“The partner of the person whose heart had stopped had an asthma attack because of stress.”

“…”

After a moment, she asked, “The power bank?”

“My phone was dead, so I couldn’t call for help.”

“The signal amplifier?”

“The basement of the horror house also didn’t have any signals,” John explained, “that’s where we had been at the time, so it took some time to call for an ambulance.”

‘That’s crazy,’ was all Grace could think of.

“How many times have you been to an amusement park?”

“That was my first and only time.”

‘No wonder,’ Grace now understood why John had packed so many ‘extra’ things.

“You had quite an unusual experience. Such things usually don’t happen at amusement parks. We’ve been there about a dozen times, and we didn’t need any of them even once.”

“I see.”

“So it should be alright to not take all of these with us. Besides, you won’t be able to carry around such a heavy backpack.”

Seeing as how John still didn’t seem to be convinced, she made a compromise, “I’ll put the things we need in my and Evan’s backpacks. As for the rest of the stuff, let’s just leave them in the car?”

“…Okay.”

John agreed. He left the backpack and went to get ready. Grace watched him leave, then looked at the big backpack, and heaved a sigh. Throughout their conversation, she had felt as if she was the adult, and not John. She had an amused look on her face as she sorted the stuff in the backpack.

Evan came out of his room. He was wearing a sky blue shirt, dark blue jeans, and a dark blue cap. On his shoulders was a blue bag. The only things that weren't blue were his skin, eyes and hair. Grace looked at him and chuckled, “You might as well dye your hair blue and wear blue contacts.”

Evan humphed and looked out the window with his cheeks puffed.

Grace picked a few things and handed them to Evan, “Put them in your bag.” “Don’t wanna,” Evan still didn’t look at her.

“You sure you don’t want these?”

Evan hesitantly looked at the stuff in Grace’s hands. Seeing that there were all kinds of snacks, his eyes started to shine. He hurriedly grabbed them, as if someone else might steal them from him, and stuffed them into his backpack. The problem was, his backpack was so full, it wouldn’t close no matter how hard he tried to pull the zipper.

This situation made Grace remember what had happened a few moments ago with John, although his backpack hadn’t been nearly as full as Evan’s since it was way bigger.

“You know that pulling the zipper so hard won’t help,” she said as she helped Evan sort the things in his backpack. As soon as she took a look at what was inside, she facepalmed.

“Why did you pack this much food? This is an entire week’s worth of snacks! Wait, when did you even buy these?”

Evan looked away and replied, “Today, and not all of this is for me.”

This surprised Grace, because she knew how much Evan loved snacks. If Evan had packed some of these for someone else, there was only one person that came to her mind.

“Were you trying to surprise him with these?”

“Yes.”

‘What a cute way to surprise someone,’ she thought as she pinched Evan’s cheeks.

“Hey!”

Evan was obviously not pleased and pulled himself away from Grace’s hands.

“Don’t treat me like a child!”

“But you are one.”

“You’re one too!” He argued.

Grace couldn’t argue with that, so she just shook her head and said, “Put some of those in my backpack.”

Evan gave her a wary look.

She sighed and added, “You know I won’t secretly eat those.”

Evan knew she wouldn’t, but that wasn’t the point. “You can’t tell him,” he said with a serious face.

“I won’t.”

“Ok.”

He reluctantly parted with some of his snacks. From the look in his eyes, one would think he was seeing off his beloved. Well, they wouldn’t have guessed wrong, those were his ‘beloved’ snacks.

Having finally solved the problem with backpacks, Grace left to change her clothes. She changed into a dark blue dress, and put on a blue hairband. Although she had made fun of Evan for wearing blue from head to toe, she was now doing the same.

Before leaving the room, she steeled herself to be laughed at by Evan, and bravely opened the door. Sure enough, as soon as Evan saw her, he started to laugh his head off.

“How come you haven’t dyed your hair? Haha- and where are your blue contacts?”

Grace’s lips twitched. ‘What goes around, comes around, I guess,’ she thought as she looked at Evan. She didn’t notice how the serious look on her face was slowly replaced by a smile.

When John came out of his room, he saw how Evan was laughing while Grace stood with a helpless smile on her face. Although he didn’t know what had happened, he smiled subconsciously, and stroked the two kids’ heads,

“Are you both ready to leave?”

“Yes!” Evan exclaimed. He was especially excited. While Grace didn’t exclaim like he did and only nodded her head, from her eyes, one could clearly tell that she was also excited.

1