Chapter 30 – Night Blockade
171 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Holy Mirishial Empire, February 20th, 1640

Runepolis

Within Albion Castle, an elder elf sat on a majestic golden throne in a rather long throne room. Aging at around 300 years old, his white hair and beard had grown to be long that reached down to the middle of his torso. His light blue eyes were surrounded by the skin of his face, which looked to be full of wrinkles. The elf in question is the current ruler of the Holy Mirishial Empire, Lucius Erudato-Horourein De Mirishial VIII, otherwise known as Mirishial the 8th.

"Arneus, raise your head." Emperor Mirishial spoke to Arneus, who is currently bowing to him. As he raised his head, Mirishial would ask him a question, "Tell me, what have you learned of Indonesia?"

Hearing of the emergence of Indonesia from Arneus' Information Bureau, Emperor Mirishial seemed rather curious and intrigued by their swift victory in Louria and Topa. As a result, he ordered that more investigation would be taken to determine whether Indonesia is truly worth their time or is simply another country that exaggerated its achievements.

"Yes, your majesty. As you may know, Parpaldia has recently went to war with multiple countries that wished to put an end to the hegemon of the region with the backing of many other countries. Around 20 days ago, Parpaldia declared war on the Principality of Qua-Toyne, which the Indonesians responded by a declaring war on them a few days later. Our initial estimates expected Indonesia to defeat the Parpaldian forces in Rodenius within 10 days by the earliest, but much to our surprise, they had swiftly taken Jin-Hark in just 2 days, thus ending any hopes of Parpaldian victory."

With that statement alone, the nobles and other officials that gathered in the throne room began to talk to each other regarding this feat. For Mirishial, conquering Parpaldia would be an easy feat, but achieving a decisive battle within that short period of time was unthinkable. 

Emperor Mirishial would quickly silence the audience's conversation by raising his right hand before continuing, "I see.. How is Parpaldia responding to this defeat?"

"According to our spies, it seems that there's a military build-up east of Esthirant. We believe that the Parpaldians are preparing to invade the Kingdom of Sios."

"It seems that they've gotten desperate. I wonder what went on in the head of their young emperor of theirs after hearing of the news." Mirishial said with a grin and a chuckle. "Now, what have you learned of these Gra Valkans? Surely they must be significant enough for Mu to respond quickly." Mirishial asked Arneus again.

Arneus answered the Emperor's answer without hesitation, "Precisely, your majesty. Our investigations have concluded that these Gra Valkans are in possession of a battleship, thus it is not unfair to assume that their navy might be on par with Mu's. Similar to Indonesia, we have found that they possess tanks that seemed to be larger than ours and Mu's, though they seemed to be smaller than Indonesia's tanks."

"I see, that means we cannot ignore them either. Peclas!" Mirishial said as he called out a man who is a part of the audience

A silver haired man walked into Mirishial's view and right beside Arneus, "You called me, your majesty?"

"Please contact these Indonesians as soon as possible and achieve friendly relations, as we certainly do not want them swayed by the Muans. As for Parpaldia, our support for their modernization have showed disappointing results and this war showed their incompetence, so I'd like any support for their development and war effort to be cut off.

And for the Gra Valkans, I'd also like to establish diplomatic relations with them. As with the Indonesians, we cannot let Muans have the upper hand." Mirishial ordered.

Having supported Parpaldia's quick modernization and industrialization, the Holy Mirishial Empire had initially hoped to acquire a powerful ally on their side. However, with the appearance of the Republic of Indonesia, which would prove itself to be much more powerful and capable than Parpaldia had made the old emperor change his mind regarding his policies on Parpaldia. Peclas, did not care of such betrayal as he is the Minister of Foreign Affairs, thus his job is to help uphold his empire's interests.

"As you wish.." Peclas said as he slipped out to execute his orders.

North East of Sios, February 23rd, 1640

KRI Sudirman

On the vast blue oceans between the Rodenius and Philades Continent, an Indonesian FREMM Frigate sailed at a calm pace as it conducted night patrols around the area. The reasoning behind this patrol is due to a large Parpaldian military build up east of Esthirant and due to the lack of satellites, the Indonesians are currently unable to constantly monitor its movements.

The sounds of ocean waves colliding with the metal hull of the frigate felt rather calming to the crew of the frigate. Although they didn't know when the Parpaldians will attack, the crew remained a state of awareness.

On the bridge, a black haired man wearing a uniform stood as he looked towards the starry night skies through the bridge. The man is the captain of the frigate, Indra.

Suddenly, he would be interrupted by one of his officers who reported, "Captain, we've spotted a fleet of at least 30 ships heading straight towards Sios from the north!"

Indra felt a hint of worry from that report alone. He knew that Parpaldia is north of Sios and both nations are currently at war with each other, but this fleet isn't confirmed to be Parpaldian, even though its direction of origin makes it obvious.

"Do we know its nationality?" Indra asked to confirm his suspicion.

"We haven't been able to confirm it, but it's highly likely that it is a Parpaldian fleet."

Indra had finally decided to follow his intuition. However, he knew that while his Frigate is powerful, taking on an entire fleet will take a while. Certainly not ideal as he did not want the city of Shios to take too much damage.

"Are there any available support from nearby allied ships or our base?"

"Regarding our airbase, the construction of it had gone slower than expected, so I believe we can only rely on a handful of Tucanos. However, we do have the KRI Nasution nearby."

Indra's mood lit up as he heard of an available friendly ship. Furthermore, it was a modern warship he could count on, instead of the extremely old ships in service with the navy, "Quickly! Contact the KRI Nasution and our Siosan airbase on this threat. Meanwhile, I want to pursue that fleet and take it down!"

After the order was made, the KRI Sudirman turned hard to port as it accelerated to 30 knots in order to chase down the suspected Parpaldian ship. Meanwhile, the personnel in the Indonesian base in Sios and the frigate KRI Nasution were alerted of the fleet's presence.

Kingdom of Sios, February 23rd, 1640

Shios

The city of Shios seemed rather peaceful as the starry night skies covered the city in darkness. The city had a fair amount of lighting, allowing some activities to be done during the night and the smaller quantity of lights would make the stars of the skies visible to the naked eyes.

To protect the city from pirate raids, a fort would be built near the harbour. The building is filled with cannons of large calibers that pointed straight towards the sea as the Shiosan flag fluttered on a nearby flag pole. Along the edges of the port, there were also cannons that provided an additional defense, though its caliber are smaller.

On the shores near the city is a tall lighthouse which provided lighting for any ship that wished to navigate through the nearby waters of the kingdom. Due to the war, a bell was installed and the lighthouse was consequently used as a lookout post as well.

However, the peaceful atmosphere of this city would be interrupted as a fleet of 38 Parpaldian warships sailed its way to the city as their Tears of the Wind God pushed the fleet at maximum speeds. The fleet of 34 warships and 6 transport ships is currently being led by a 100-gun Ship of The Line, The Arduous.

On top of The Arduous, Admiral Turnip stood near the helm of the ship. He had a fine short brown hair and a full beard that went to his ears. He was not slim like Admiral Avabel, as he had some weight, thus giving him a slightly fat look. Turnip is currently the Admiral for the 2nd Southern Fleet, having replaced the previous admiral who was fired due to the defeat in Altaras.

However, despite being put into a high position, he never felt happy about it. He still felt this as he led the fleet to Sios.

"I really have a bad feeling about this.." Turnip muttered to himself with a look full of worry as he placed his hand over his chin and mouth.

One of his officers noticed Turnip's concern and asked, "What is the matter, sir?"

Turnip looked back at the officer and responded, "Ah, it's nothing." He said as he lied to his officer.

The look he had on his face did not convince the officer and he quickly came to a conclusion, "Is it because of the order from high command?"

Turnip gave in and confessed after his officer correctly guessed his concerns, "Yes, that's it. I heard that we lost Jin-Hark in a matter of days after the war broke out. It's clear that we're not fighting our usual opponents."

Having learned of the news of Parpaldia's defeat, the officer also understood Turnip's worry, "I see.. Best we don't let this feeling get to us. I doubt high command would tolerate it."

As Turnip nodded in agreement, a shout would be heard on the ship, "The lights in Shios have been turned off! We've been spotted!"

Turnip took a deep breath as he initiated the battle according with the plan, "Manacomm silence has been lifted! Turn hard to starboard!"

The fleet began to turn hard to starboard as they sailed near the city. As the cannons were aimed, the order to fire is relayed.

"Fire at will!"

'BOOM!'

Clouds of smoke began to erupt on the left side of the fleet as it fired in unison. The cannonballs flew straight towards the city and hit the many buildings and military installations. With a single volley alone, a number of houses began to crumble as the cannonballs went through the brick walls and destroying the very foundations that held the buildings up.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Siosan cannons fired back at a disorganized fashion as they mount up a defense against the sudden Parpaldian attack. The cannons fired at random intervals but it would still do its job as it pierced through the wooden hulls of some of the Parpaldian warships or bounced off the metal hulls of the ironclads.

Following the initial Parpaldian volley, rowboats that carried Parpaldian soldiers were released. The boats were wide and are able to carry a large number of soldiers that also propelled the boat via paddles. As the wave of Parpaldian boats approached the city, while making sure to fire their muskets at the defenders, the Parpaldian warships kept their cannon barrage to support the landings.

Parpaldian wyvern lords also took off from their carriers as they went to support the landings as well. The wyverns would target the nearby fort and the cannons near the docks, causing much damage to the enemy defenses.

'BOOOM!'

However, as the attack seemed to be going according to plan, a Parpaldian Ship of the Line exploded as a bullet of light hit it right at the middle of its hull. As the ship exploded from the shell, it would break in two as smaller explosions occur, hinting that the ammunition had also been hit.

"W-What happened..?" Turnip muttered as his jaw dropped in shock.

He immediately grabbed the spyglass from his pocket and extended it before looking through it towards the direction that the light came from. On the horizon, he could see a light that illuminated 2 metal ships.

While he is unable to clearly see the full shape of the ships, he could still see lights that showed some part of their metal hulls and its superstructures. For him, it seemed to be similar to the Muan ships.

"Why.. are the Muans here...?" He muttered again as his initial shock turned into dread.

His crew, upon laying their eyes on the mysterious metal ships, would go into a panic as they instantly assume that the Muans have backstabbed them.

Reacting to his men's panic, Turnip quickly tried to get order back and keep his men in check, "Don't falter! We need to keep attacking the Siosans!"

Unfortunately for him, his voice would be drowned within the many shrills of his crew. However, some who are nearby, heard his order and regained their courage and helped to try get order and discipline back onto the fleet.

Despite this, the Indonesian frigates continued firing and some ships would eventually break from the half circle formation that the Parpaldians were in, intending to flee from the battle.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

As the Parpaldians tried to get the operation back on track, 2 more ships would explode as arrows of light from the sky hit them on their hulls. This certainly did not help the Parpaldians as more ships broke from formation, thus ruining the entire formation.

Faced with an inevitable defeat that he could not even fathom, Turnip quickly went down the stairs from his quarterdeck and into the cabin, where his communications officer stood.

"Give me the damage report!" He ordered, desperate to get an overall look into his losses.

The comms officer also looked frightened as reports constantly came in at a pace he couldn't believe, "W-We... We've lost 6 ships already.. The number of ships we're losing are increasing every few seconds.. On the air, we've already lost half of our total wyverns."

Turnip, shocked at the report, clenched his fist, trying to come up with some sort of plan. It took him around 20 seconds to come up with an idea, "Order... Order any capable ship to withdraw. Any ship that is unable to withdraw will have to surrender."

His comms officer hesitated slightly as Turnip made a hard choice but Turnip insisted as he shouted, "Do it!"

The comms officer quickly grabbed his manacomm and relayed the order to the other ships. Meanwhile, Turnip went back outside to issue his order to his ship.

By this time 15 ships had been sunk, putting the Parpaldian numbers at 26 ships left. His wyvern force had also been completely annihilated, while the troops in the city fought bravely against the Siosan defenders as they made progress on securing a beachhead before being ordered to withdraw or surrender.

Turnip knew his fleet would be annihilated and if he allowed that to push for a futile attack, the troops on the ground would be cut off and it would result in more casualties.

As the remaining ships fled, the Indonesians ceased fire. Now, the Parpaldians had lost 18 ships which is almost half of their entire fleet. Additionally, around 100 Parpaldian soldiers died and at least 700 had surrendered out of the 1,500 strong landing force.

The Blockade of Sios ended quickly with a major Parpaldian defeat as their navy lost even more warships from the war.

5