Chapter 41 – Storming the Fortress
137 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kooze Territory, Parpaldian Empire, March 20th, 1640

Lazarus

In the base of operations for the Kooze Reconstruction Army, a group of men and women gathered around a roundtable. Among them is their leader, Haki, and various others high ranking personnel of this rebel movement.

"Has the Parpaldians given us an answer?" Haki asked.

Ikia, who attended the meeting shook his head, "No, but we found that they have been reinforcing their defenses for the past week or so."

The Kooze rebels had been patiently waiting for them to surrender, although they all knew that it would be an unlikely scenario. Their reasoning were to prevent bloodshed if possible, though they weren't dumb as well as they prepared for a scenario which they were forced to forcefully take the castle.

As a result, the Kooze rebels had gathered more men to storm the castle. They had also smuggled equipment from Altaras to help with the possible battle.

"Well then, as things have come to this, let us take the castle by force." Haki said. "For the people of Kooze!"

"Hurrah!" Everyone shouted as they raised their fists.

Lazarus Fortress

The guards and soldiers of the castle looked at the crowd that had gathered in front of the bridge. The atmosphere surrounding the area felt tense that one could choke from it alone. The soldiers held their weapons with a tight grip, anticipating for the inevitable.

"Today is the day, huh?" A soldier said as he put his hand on his chest where he could feel his heart beating intensely.

The day felt longer than usual as they waited for hours. One minute felt like an hour, which is what went through the minds of these soldiers.

Soon, they could hear the sound of a trumpet from the other side, followed by something that sounded like a warcry.

"T-They're moving!" Another soldier pointed out.

It has finally begun. The mob of Kooze rebels climbed out of their cover, which were simply piles of dirt and wood that stretched across the width of the bridge. All of them held weapons, either it be muskets, swords, or spears.

"Fire at will!"

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

The soldiers aimed their muskets at the incoming mob and opened fire from the top of the walls. Kooze rebels were shot by each of the shots the Parpaldians made due to how closely packed they were and the accuracy of their rifled musket.

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

Soon, the rebels that had muskets fired back, clearly disorganized as they did it without any command or training. Most of the shots would simply hit and bounce off the thick stone walls of the castle, though some hit their marks and killed a small number of soldiers. Despite this, due to the technological superiority of the Parpaldians and their training, the Kooze rebels were being killed faster than they could kill their enemies. It's simply a bloodbath, but they did not back down.

Meanwhile, the Parpaldian soldiers continued firing, defending the castle with all their might despite being significantly outnumbered. They took a shot before taking cover behind the walls and reloading.

"Defend this castle with all you've got, boys! Act like its your precious treasure or family heirloom!" A Parpaldian officer shouted, trying to encourage his men as he fired his revolver.

Parpaldian soldiers were killed one-by-one, but they still manage to kill many rebels of the seemingly endless wave. They were racking a lot of kills before being taken down. If a man from modern earth watched this battle, it would feel a bit like the Battle of Isandlwana or Saragarhi.

'BOOOM!'

Unbeknownst to the Parpaldians, who were concentrated on taking down as many rebels as they can, the Kooze rebels had planted explosives on the gate of the castle. The explosion occured in a spectacular fashion as the gate section of the walls crumbled, taking down those near the blast or on top of the gate.

"The gate has been breached!" A soldier reported.

The soldiers behind the gate, who took cover behind sandbags and various defensive emplacements presented their muskets and aimed at the hole of the gate. The 1st layer had done well in killing many of the rebels, but as the walls were breached, it was now up to the 2nd layer and the remaining soldiers of the 1st layer to prevent the rebels from entering the main building.

"For the people of Kooze!"

As the smoke from the gate subsided, another Koozean warcry could be heard. Soon after that, the mob of rebels entered the courtyard and began charging at the Parpaldians.

"Fire!"

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

The soldiers of the 2nd layer opened fire as those of the 1st began firing at the rebels below. The Parpaldians and Koozeans were fighting fiercely even though they knew that they will likely die in this battle. The spirit of nationalism and patriotism reigned within the two sides of this battle.

However, with the lack of any walls and the wide space of the courtyard, the Kooze rebels would make ground faster than they did against the 1st layer. Soon, they were about to clash in close quarters combat against the enemy.

The Parpaldians ceased their relentless fire and prepared their bayonets, while the rebels drawed out their weapons. Both sides prepared themselves as well before charging at the enemy.

"Long live the Emperor!"

"For the people of Kooze!"

The rebels climbed the defenses of the Parpaldians and both sides clashed in melee combat. The sounds of flesh being pierced and metal and wood clashing into each other could be heard all around the battlefield.

The Parpaldians manage to hold their ground due to their superior training, however they would soon be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of rebels that had gathered to storm the castle. After much fighting, the 2nd layer had been taken out with many lives claimed in the process.

"We need to take care of the soldiers on the walls!" A rebel shouted.

Although the path to the main building has been cleared, the soldiers of the 1st layer were still fighting. Many of those Parpaldian soldiers stayed on the walls, maintaining their elevation advantage, as they fired at the rebels below.

Unfortunately for those Parpaldians, the rebels emerge from the tower as the doors to the walls were kicked open. However, the Parpaldians knew that this will happen as they positioned themselves to fire at the incoming enemy soldiers.

"Fire!"

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

In a single volley, the Parpaldian soldiers fired at the incoming enemy who attacked on both sides. The Parpaldians had aimed their muskets at the tower doors before the rebels had kicked it open.

Rebels were killed from that first volley, but it wasn't enough. The Parpaldians drew out their swords and prepared their bayonets as their officer shouted a command.

"CHARGE!"

"LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR!"

The Parpaldians began a futile, but brave charge towards the enemy rebels. The rebels would greet these Parpaldian's bravery with an intense clash of swords and bayonets.

The Parpaldian soldiers slashed and stabbed a number of rebels to death before they are finally taken down. The Parpaldian officer who gave the command closed his eyes before opening it and turning his sights towards the rebels, who had just taken the lives of his men.

"Come at me, you Koozean rebels!" He shouted to provoke the enemy.

The Parpaldian officer unsheathed drew out his sword and held a revolver in the other hand. He then yelled a battlecry as he charged at the incoming enemies.

With great skill, he slices one rebel on the chest with his sword, fatally wounding the rebel as he quickly aimed his revolver at another rebel behind him.

'BANG!'

He quickly pulled the trigger, firing a bullet at the rebel and achieving a headshot. He then turned the cylinder to prepare another shot as he swung his sword at another rebel.

'CLANG!'

The sound of blades clashing with each other could be heard as the rebel successfully blocks the Parpaldian's swing. However, the Parpaldian quickly gets his revolver into position and fires at the rebel, landing a shot onto his stomach. He quickly swung his sword again to the rebel, which would decapitate him.

However, his focus on one direction proves to be a blunder as a rebel successfully hurts the officer by swinging a sword to his waist.

Reacting to his wound, he quickly reloads the revolver and firing at the rebel who just sliced his waist before stabbing with his sword. The sword goes through the rebel's stomach, which immediately kills him.

Unfortunately for the Parpaldian officer, the rebels proved to be too much for him to handle as he begins to get overwhelmed by their numbers. With another bullet in the cylinder of his revolver and the blade of his sword, he manages to kill 2 more rebels, achieving 6 kills in a short period of time.

He is finally killed as a rebel stabs him with a sword through his back, ending him for good as he falls down to the stone floor of the walls. Just like him, many other brave Parpaldians would die as they defend the walls from the rebels, who would eventually take full control of it.

Frederick's Office

Frederick pushed an object covered by a white cloth and put it between his desk and the door to his office. From his office, he could hear the roars of cannons outside. It seems that the rebels had just taken control of the cannons on the walls. He wiped his forehead with the palm of his hand after he gets it into place.

"This should do it." Frederick thought to himself as he walked to a nearby box.

He opened the box and took out a number of metal boxes. The metal boxes contained a high amount of bullets all connected to each other. He took those magazine boxes to the cloth-covered object.

After which, he took away the cloth that covered the object. The object is colored in black mounted on a tripod that allowed it to rotate and aim. The object in question is a machine gun, a recently developed weapon of the Parpaldian Empire.

"Let's see if you rebels can get through this." He thought to himself as he got into position.

The machine gun, known in Parpaldia as the Rudol Gun is one of Parpaldia's most recent weapons that was developed with the help of the United Kingdom of Mu. The gun is named after the leader of the weapons program that led to the development of this machine gun. For the Parpaldians, this gun symbolizes the quick modernization and industrialization period brought upon by Emperor Ludius. Despite all of this, the gun is still primarily used by the Navy due to it being heavy and cumbersome, but the gun that Frederick has is a lighter version of it.

The doors swung open as it was kicked by the 16 Koozean rebels on the other side. However, what they were facing was something they never expected.

'BRRRRRRRRRRT!'

The Rudol gun opened fire, unleashing a hail of bullets at the rebels by the door. Within seconds, all of the 16 rebels were mercilessly killed by the machine gun as they were torn to shreds by it.

The other rebels who were with them quickly hid behind the walls as Frederick smirked from the astonishing performance of the machine gun.

'BRRRT!'

A rebel peeked to see the Parpaldian machine gun before being promptly met by it opening fire. Fortunately, he manages to take cover just in time while his buddies looked on with confusion and shock.

"What the hell is that?!"

"I don't know! It's probably those things we usually see on their warships!"

"How are we gonna deal with it? That thing's a monster! It just killed 16 people in one go!"

"Then our only choice are the cannons. Quickly, tell them to shoot at the 3rd floor!"

The rebels nodded as they quickly evacuated themselves as one of them took out a manacomm to report the situation. Soon, the rebels that are manning the cannons were notified of their target.

"Where did they go?" Frederick asked to himself.

Frederick felt suspicious. Did they run away or are they still hiding? Regardless, he needed to check. Additionally, he felt that the area around him sounds suspiciously quiet.

Thus, he readied his sword and revolver as he slowly walked towards the door. However, as he is about to exit the room, he hears the sounds of cannons.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The three cannons that were on the walls simultaneously opened fire. The cannons began to fly towards the 3rd floor in the area where his office should be. As if instinct, Frederick knew that the rebels had outplayed him.

"Damn it.. I guess this is the end.."

The area around Frederick's office exploded from the 3 cannonballs that had just flew towards it. Stone bricks and rocks fell from the 3rd floor, burying Frederick's corpse and his machine gun.

Later in the day, the Kooze Reconstruction Army manages to capture the fort and finally securing the former capital city of the Kooze Kingdom. The Parpaldians had lost every men, although they managed to inflict heavy casualties to the rebels.

4