Chapter 16 – Bad Blood & Good Intentions
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What are you doing here, bro?!” asked Dawit.

“And what happened to your shoe?” said Kai, pointing.

It hadn’t even occurred to Keon that he’d been hobbling around bootless for the last half hour. He hadn’t much cared. Getting them out was all that had mattered.

“I—I came to save you guys.”

Dawit’s cherubic face lit up, his hazel eyes almost vanishing behind his cheeks. He was mostly back to his normal self, though beads of sweat still glistened like diseased diamonds on his forehead.

“Why? Guilty conscience?” said Shem. Keon felt the savage pierce of his scowl as he stalked past and his prior elation quickly dissipated.

“Did I miss something?” he said, eyebrows bunching.

Shem wheeled on him, looking every bit the guy you wouldn’t want to pick a fight with.

“I know what you did, you little toe rag!”

Keon blinked, taken aback. His face flashed red, and the pit of his stomach suddenly plummeted through thin ice. He knew. A cold splash of shame washed over him, trickling down his back to meet the frozen lake in his stomach.

“I—I didn’t mean for…”

“For it to backfire? To get caught? What, did you think we’re stupid?! That we wouldn’t notice?”

“No, I…”

“I trusted you, mate! I flippin’ tried to ‘elp you!” he said, jabbing at him with his shackled index finger.

“By showing him how to cheat?” said Avana.

Shem stalled as though the steam had suddenly been knocked out of his engine.

“Wh—You what?”

“You’re as much to blame as he is!”

“How’d you figure that out?”

“You were supposed to teach him!”

“I did!”

“Yeah, to steal! And look where that got him!”

“I mean, it got him this far…” offered Dawit.

Shem, seeing he was quickly losing ground, switched targets.

“What, you really think he came to ‘elp us? He doesn’t give a toss about any of us! He’s only ‘ere for himself!”

“That’s not true…” all eyes fell on Asya who, until this point, had melded into their surroundings, “Otherwise, he would’ve left you lot down here.”

“And who the hell’re you?” said Shem, arms flapping.

“Asya.”

“She helped me escape,” added Keon, stepping between them, “and she’ll help get us out of here if…if we take her with us.”

“Are you mad?! You think we’re gonna listen to you now?! She’s prob’ly a spy!”

Asya raised an eyebrow.

“Did you see me trying to sneak into your house?”

Dawit and Kai’s eyes met, sharing a silent snicker.

“She wants to know about the Perfect Mirror,” said Keon.

At this, silence descended.

“Where’d you hear about that?” said Shem, eyes narrowing.

They told me,” he said, pointing with his head over his shoulder.

“Is this true?” said Avana.

Asya nodded.

“Why?” shot Shem.

She pulled aside the collar of her armour, revealing her empty collarbone.

The Millionth and Fifth exchanged looks of silent counsel.

“It’s a trick. Has to be,” said Shem.

“If it’s true, you know the King’s Law. We’re duty bound to help her,” said Avana.

 

The Moonlamps were coming. Zahara could hear them as she ran towards the colonnades. That explosion would draw every last one of them to the north wing of the complex; undoubtedly the place where her friends were being kept. Who the bloody hell would set off such a huge explosion? What an idiot! On top of that, the incessant pealing of the alarm bell was giving her a migraine. They had minutes at most before the first Moonlamps arrived, and with them every Marble Mynd in the palace.

She suddenly gasped as something snagged her foot. For a split-second, she thought she’d caught it in a root, but then she felt fingers close around her ankle in a vice-like grip. Someone had her! A sharp yelp escaped her throat as she was dragged to the ground. She tried crawling away but they were strong, pulling her towards the darkness. Wriggling onto her back, she felt another hand clawing for her other foot. Instinctively she kicked out with it. Once. Twice. Thrice! And the hands went limp. It was a Moonlamp! What the hell was a bloody Moonlamp doing lying on the grass like that?!

Scrambling onto her hands and knees she crawled frantically into the nearest bush. Her heart was pounding against her ribcage and her breathing was frenetic. Something was shaking. She looked down and saw it was her hands. Placing them on the back of her neck, she sat down on the moist grass with her head between her knees and tried to steady her breathing. You’re safe. You’re strong. You’re safe. You’re strong. You’re safe. She told herself.

Her neck bristled and she spun round, suddenly aware she wasn’t alone. One of the palace maids was staring back at her with equal astonishment. Neither one knew what to do, but Zahara had the distinct impression that this girl wasn’t supposed to be there either.

“I won’t tell if you don’t,” she said.

Faiza nodded vigorously, and Zahara darted back out the way she came.

Her heart was still pounding on the door of her chest. Crossing the colonnades, she saw the beautiful, bent black tree and the bridge curling over the stream. Pillars of smoke were wafting over the tops of the trees round the corner. This had to be the place. She turned at the shouts closing in behind her and wondered what had become of Jonas.

She needn’t have worried. After successfully crossing the river, he’d swam further downstream for reconnaissance. There, he’d discovered an ornamented wooden bridge arching high over the river, adjoining the wall. It served a duel purpose as a dock for several canoe-like longboats. Under the bridge he’d stumbled upon a concealed passageway which, he surmised, led to the north wing of the complex. Following the passage, he’d located a vantage point in the trees from which he now sat perched watching Zahara weave her way towards the barracks ruins. Scanning to his left, he saw the rustling of trees and bushes that signaled the approach of the Moonlamps. He willed her to move faster.

Zahara stiffened at the sight of the desolated barracks. The beat of her heart that, moments ago, seemed intent on bursting from her chest now stood still. The cool breeze chilled the moistening edges of her widened eyes as they roamed over the mountain of debris. Throwing all caution to the wind, she raced towards the barracks, bellowing their names at the night sky one after another. She barely felt her feet touching the grass. Nor did she notice as she slipped and slid down the slopes in her attempts to scramble up the rubble. Suddenly, as if rising from the dead, six figures emerged from what was left of the floor. Again, she ran, but only towards one of them.

Keon was almost knocked back down the stairway as Zahara’s arms clamped around his back and her forehead slammed into his shoulder. He didn’t react. He didn’t know how to react. The very wind in his lungs had been knocked out of him, and with it had gone any semblance of what to say or do. Then, as suddenly as they’d collided, she shoved herself away, as if realising they weren’t alone and that she’d held him for far too long. Her fist shot out, grasping the lace of his long-lost boot, as she tried to avoid his eyes.

“Here! I think this is yours!”

As soon as he went to take it, she let go and dashed for Avana, likewise flinging her arms around her, then Dawit, Kai, and finally Shem.

She jolted when she noticed Asya who always seemed to slip by unnoticed until she wanted to be seen. Zahara immediately scanned her from head to toe, taking in the olive skin and striking grey eyes framed by a forest of black lashes. She turned to the others in search of an explanation.

“Who’s this?”

“This is Asya,” offered Keon, stepping forward, “She helped me escape…she’s gonna help get us out of here…”

“Why?” she replied, abruptly, turning to Shem. “You’re all ok with this?”

“We were still discussing it when you came shouting out the school register,” he said.

“She seeks the Perfect Mirror,” said Avana, “And we all know the King’s edict.”

“I don’t,” said Keon, raising a hand.

“Well, now’s not the time to discuss it,” she replied.

“‘Course not,” he muttered, rolling his eyes.

Zahara took a few steps towards Asya who remained rooted, matching her stare.

“Well, I guess that’s that then…”

Only Asya would have seen it, the way Zahara looked her up and down one last time before turning and walking off, like something she wanted to scrape off her boot.

“We need to get these shackles off,” she said, fumbling with Avana’s. “The Moonlamps’ll be here any minute.”

“Let me.”

Asya approached, slowly removing her Codex from its pouch. Zahara’s scowl told her to back off, but time wouldn’t permit her to argue.

Asya folded the book open, as though preparing for a recital, then gently flapped the pages towards Memories. There was barely a rip as she tore out the page and held it between both fingers and thumbs. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and folded. Her hands moved with the grace of a bird’s flight, the blossoming of flower petals or waves washing against the beach. In a heartbeat, she held aloft a large paper key.

“How d’you know how to do that?” asked Keon.

“There isn’t a place here my family doesn’t have access to,” she replied.

“You couldn’t have done that earlier?” he chuckled.

“You didn’t ask,” she said, shrugging a shoulder.

She held out the key to Zahara who looked at it, then back at her before snatching it.

 

The group slid their way down the sloping rubble, Dawit and Kai supporting one another’s unsteady bodies. The shouts were growing closer now, and louder. They had seconds at most. Asya waved them round to the back of the barracks. She pointed silently towards a stretch of trees lining the north wall then swung her arm in an arc to signal that they had to follow the forest along the walls for cover. Bending low, they dashed across the grass towards it. They could discern specific words now amidst the shouts and commotion baring down upon them. They moved in single file, the pillars of billowing smoke shielding their escape.

Jonas watched from his perch, discerning their route. He figured he could buy them some extra time. Forging a bow, he slung it across his shoulder; then, tearing out another sheet, he scribbled ‘Bang on impact’ and folded it into an arrow. A flick of the wrist flung it to full size, whilst the spark of his flint and steel kit set it aflame. Notching the arrow, he took aim at the Moonlamps crossing the bridge then turned towards the palace and let loose. The arrow sang across the sky, falling towards the open grounds of the main building.

 

Aslan, Baris and Ruslan had just made it to the other side of the river when Aydin and Cemil came bounding round the corner towards them. Aslan was limping, his arms straddling the broad shoulders of Baris and Ruslan. A fresh gash oozed from his foot, just above the ankle. The wound his Mirror had incurred. They hadn’t spared time to tend his wounds and circumstances demanded they take the long route over the dock. There was no sign of the Torchbearer. Each agonising step was a sharp reminder of his public besting.

“Aslan! We came as fast as we could!”

“Asya said you needed reinforcements!” added Aydin.

Aslan face tightened in incomprehension.

“She what?” he panted, hands on his knees.

“Sister Asya…sh-she sent us to…”

He grabbed Cemil by the chest, his fingers closing around the edges of his Codex.

“Where did you see her?”

No one moved and Cemil simply mouthed silently.

“Th-the barracks…”

Aslan’s hand clenched, and then he heard the whistling.

“GET DOWN!”

A flaming arrow struck the grass and erupted like a fiery dome, dredging up dirt and blowing the windows out of the south-eastern corner of the palace. Aslan felt the ground vanish beneath his feet and the world spin around him as he was flung backwards by the shockwave. A wall of smoke enveloped him as he spiralled through the air. He couldn’t hear a thing except the ringing in his ears but he felt his back hit the ground hard. He had no idea how far he’d flown, whether he’d been knocked unconscious in the process, or if his brothers were even still alive. But he could move. He could feel his arms. His legs. The throbbing gashes left by the Torchbearer told him his limbs were still intact. He drew upon the strength of the pain. His rage. And he rolled, slowly, onto his front.

Moments later, he was crawling through the smoke, gagging as he went. The world around him was muffled and blurred. Gray, blackened and dark everywhere. Then he felt a body. It flinched at his touch. He’d found Cemil, still in shock, lying on his back but otherwise unharmed. He grabbed him again by the chest and yanked him closer.

“I need my fatigues…now!”

 

The explosion had thrown the Moonlamps into further chaos. Half were intent on going back, the others felt duty bound to proceed as planned. Arguments were breaking out over whose orders took precedent or whether they should use their initiative and think for themselves. They were under assault from multiple points. They had no idea how many assailants there were. If the prisoners had escaped, so be it. The palace was under attack! The Rayiys and his family needed protection!

At the blast, the Millionth and Fifth had frozen and ducked in the forest.

“Keon?!” said Asya.

“It wasn’t me!”

“You told her your name, bro?!” hissed Kai.

“It must be Jonas!” said Zahara.

“Then we need to keep it movin’. He knows what he’s doing. He’ll catch up,” added Shem.

Asya led the way down the tunnel towards the dock. Keon, scuffling beside her, marvelled at the walls and ceilings. Even such a dark, hidden passage had been painstakingly decorated with the same arabesque patterns as the Golden Gate. Asya glanced back with a frown at Dawit and Kai hobbling along in her wake. Avana and Zahara trailed them with Shem holding the rear.

“Is that the fastest you can move? ‘Cause it’s really gonna slow us down,” she said.

“You ever been stricken, love? Wanna try it?” said Kai.

“Masabih don’t waver…usually,” she replied without looking back.

“Usually?” asked Dawit.

This time, she glanced over her shoulder.

“As you can see, I’m a bit of a unique case.”

“A ‘unique case’ or a nutcase?” murmured Zahara to Avana.

Avana gave her a narrow side-eye, the corner of her mouth arching in a tell-tale smile.

“It’s not like you to play the mean girl.”

“You forget what her people did to my people?”

“Of course not. But is that all it is?” she said, nodding towards Keon.

Zahara pursed her lips and shrugged.

“Dunno what you’re talking about.”

“We’re here!”

What otherwise looked like a dead end was given away by the ever so slight cracks of light outlining a flat door. With a shove, Asya inched it forward and peered through the gap. There were the boats, five of them in total. Either side of the river looked clear, near as she could tell. She pushed the door further open and slipped out, waving for the others to follow as she held it.

Kai drew to a sharp halt, his eyes running round as though trying to sniff something out.

“Why do I hear water?”

The rest, standing by the edge of the river, didn’t know whether to stare at him or throw him in.

Maybe we’re by a river?” said Asya, gesturing.

“No. That sounds like a waterfall…”

They could hear it now, the rush of running water. Asya made her way down the dock.

“Beyond the gate, it’s a steep drop down into the canyon. We can lose them in the forest, but we have to go now.”

Tearing out a page from her Codex, she forged another large, paper key and held it out.

“The lock for the gate is on top of the wall. To reach it, someone has to go up the bridge, but it might still be guarded by Mynds.”

“Are you mad?” said Kai, pushing through, “We’re gonna ride canoes down a waterfall and cross a canyon at night?”

“Better in the dark than the day,” she replied.

“And the Mysts?” said Avana.

“They tend to stay away from the trees, and they don’t like the water.”

“She’s right,” said Dawit. “They’ll stay away from anything that signifies life. If we ditch the boats but stick close to the river, we should be fine.”

Shem curled his lips in a sneer.

“I still don’t like it.”

“Alright,” she shrugged, “but this is the only way. If we wait for the light, my brother and his crew will spot you from the air.”

“From the air? How’re they ‘sposed to do that?”

There was a deep thud and the Millionth and Fifth reeled round, every hand clasping a Codex. There, stradling two gently rocking boats was Jonas. Sighs of relief wove their way through the group as everyone lowered their guard. Jonas immediately locked on to the grey eyes, and in that moment Asya knew—he’d met her brother.

He hopped off the boats and began to sign.

“For years it’s been rumoured the Moonlamps had some kind of flight capability,” said Zahara, “But no one’s ever seen it.”

“Well, I have,” said Asya, “And trust me, you don’t want them to catch you.”

“So, what do you reckon Jonas?” said Shem with a subtle nod of the chin towards Asya.

Jonas stepped forward, looming over her—then held out his hand. It took a moment for Asya to realise he wanted the key. She quickly placed it in his palm.

“Get the boats untied. I’ll keep a look out,” he signed.

0