Book 1: And so, it begins… || Chapter 17: Angels And Demons (5)
73 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aria, Yvette and Ridan rested inside of White Sorceress Minerva’s barrier while the remaining S-Rankers took the plunge. The Demon Guardian was on the verge of breaking through the blockade. Each punch it threw sent dozens of S-Class Tanks flying, and just the shockwave of its kicks could severely damage their internal organs. It really was a do or die scenario. They had to destroy the Magic Core of the Angel Guardian before it was too late.

 

“The Magic Core is at the centre of its chest!” Rhykius hollered out while holding back the tears in his eyes. “Magicians focus on sealing its movements! Everyone else, throw your strongest attack at it right this instant.”

 

“Ha!!!” Just as the Arcane Warlock had ordered, the mages that specialised in crowd control moved to the frontlines. They had been handicapped earlier on, due to the existence of those magic-absorbing vines. However, without those pesky tendrils of nature, they were now able to unleash their full fury.

 

Ice mages drastically decreased the temperature of the chambers and crystallized water crept up the Angel Guardian’s upper torso. The Boss had lost its final magical power, and the lower body that was made entirely of roots had wholly disappeared. It had no means of movement, and it didn’t have any magic to defend itself. Still, the S-Rankers wanted to be safe than sorry.

 

Chains burst out from the densely packed magic circles, binding the stationary Angel Guardian’s two hands. Ice crept up from the floor and locked the torso in place. There were even S-Rankers that used their lassos to strangle the Angel’s neck, in preparation for the rest to attack its Magic Core. Just like many other golems, the Angel Guardian was protected by a thick layer of stone armour. It was created with ancient materials that were wholly magic resistant, so every single S-Ranker that focused on physical attacks launched their ultimate abilities. Even Rogue Lord Kama, who had been recovering from using his most powerful attack, had held onto his dagger once more, in the hopes of defeating the S-Class Dungeon once and for all.

 

“HIT IT!!!” No one knew who was the first to scream out. Maybe it was a magician sealing the Boss or perhaps it was the archers shooting out their magnificent arrows. However, one thing’s for sure, everyone was focused on chipping away the Angel Guardian’s armour.

 

CLANK!!! CLANK!!! CLANK!!! CLANK!!! CLANK!!!

 

Attacks continued to land en masse, and the clean chest that the Angel Guardian once had was slowly being dusted away. Smoke flew everywhere as S-Rankers tried their hardest to keep up. One hit might dig a centimetre into the stone armour, while others might destroy ten. Bit by bit, Yudonia’s Raid Force was going to reach the Magic Core, and hopefully, destroy it entirely.

 

BBBBBBBBBBAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

 

The Demon Guardian was enraged. No, it was far from just livid. Finally breaking through its confinement, it leapt dozens of metres forward. It had to protect its companion. Otherwise, it would be destroyed. Its oath would be shattered, and there would be nothing standing between the thing they guarded and the outside world. A golem couldn’t have feelings. That’s what makes it an ideal Eternal Guardian. But oddly enough, Aria could sense fear when she observed the Demon. It looked like a desperate mother trying to save her baby from an oncoming bus.

 

It charged with everything it had. It wanted to prevent the Angel Guardian from being destroyed. Alas… It was too late.

 

One swordsman sliced open the final layer of the Angel Guardian’s armour, revealing an intense radiant sphere that resembled that of the morning sun. Blinded, many unaware S-Rankers retreated using their Blink Bracelets, teleporting them far away from the Boss. It was finally exposed… The Magic Core that everyone had to destroy.

 

“Andrew!!!” Rhykius immediately barked.

 

“YEAH!!!” As if on cue, a red-haired spearman teleported up high, positioning himself to have a straight shot on the Angel Guardian. If Ridan had the strongest punch in all of Yudonia, then this spearman named Andrew possessed the strongest physical attack in the entire nation. Andrew possessed a unique job called the Blood Lancer. Each drop of blood that he unleashed onto his spear would increase his strength and agility. Hypothetically, if Andrew used up all of his blood, he could become the strongest S-Ranker on earth for a brief period of time. Of course, since the risks were too high, the Blood Lancer would never do that, but he was always on the precipice of pushing himself down that cliff.

 

The snake-tongued spear in his hand had turned completely crimson, as Andrew allowed a good percentage of his blood to flow into the spear. Not enough to claim his life, but enough that he instantly felt light-headed and weak. Still, there was a job for him to do.

 

“Ignite!!!”

 

Andrew’s spear lit up in a gorgeous rose flame. The stench of iron pushed many people back. The fire was utterly unlike the others that dominated the chambers. There wasn’t any mana or elemental energy. It didn’t even give out heat. Still, no one could take their eyes off it. The scene was picturesque yet terrifying. No one wanted to be on the receiving end of that beautiful attack, but everyone wanted to look at it and gape in awe.

 

The Demon Guardian was now just three big steps away from protecting the Angel Guardian. If given just one more second, its physical and magical resistant body would cover its companion, wasting all of the Raid Force’s earlier efforts. They had to destroy the Magic Core now. And well… That’s precisely what Andrew did.

 

WHHHHHOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!

 

The flaming spear disappeared from the red-haired man’s hand. No one was able to witness Andrew’s javelin throw. It was simply too fast and too powerful. There wasn’t even a sonic boom. However, there was one sound that dominated all of their ears.

 

Clank…

 

It was quite soft. In all of the chaos, one might have missed it. So… What was it? Well, behind the Angel Guardian, following the trajectory of the hurled spear, one would be able to see the familiar snake-tongued spear pierced straight into the ground. Did Andrew miss his target? Of course not!

 

He had utterly shattered it.

 

BBRRRMMMMMMMM!!! BBRRRMMMMMMMM!!!

 

The Angel Guardian’s Magic Core cracked with the residue blood flames facilitating its destruction. Through the entire sphere of pure energy, there was a distinct opening. Every passing millisecond seemed like a century for the remaining S-Rankers. However, after the first three seconds had passed, it soon became apparent that the Magic Core was beyond saving. The Angel Guardian fell backwards, both its hands reaching out for the heavens. The blood flame continued to crack open the gem, unleashing vast amounts of mana into the air. The mosimeter on Aria’s body beeped in fear as the reading peaked at five thousand montgen, more than fifty times the dungeon entrance’s average. If not for their enhanced protective gear, the S-Rankers would have been fried into oblivion.

 

The Demon Guardian was the most unfortunate of them all. With its mana source gone, its movements started to slow and just as it reached the Angel Guardian, the Magic Core burst into a million pieces, leaving it with nothing but sorrow and regret. However, it couldn’t feel it, nor could it ever comprehend it. Kneeling down before its companion, the Demon ceased its movements ending the intense struggle once and for all.

 

“We did it...” Arius couldn’t believe his eyes. “We actually did it!!!”

 

“We beat the dungeon?” Rhykius was in a similar state. Delirious that is.

 

“We fucking did it!!!” One S-Ranker screamed out at the top of his lungs. He was the first one to truly let it sink in. He raised his sabre into the air and continued on his war-cry, “We’re conquerors of the Dungeon!”

 

“HAHAHA!!! Clint is right! We’ve won!!!” Another S-Ranker cried her face as red as an apple. They came, and they conquered.

 

“OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

 

One cheer became two, two became four, four became eight, until eventually… The entire Raid Force had begun to celebrate. Who could blame them? They prepared for this Boss Fight for five days now. No one could predict the outcome. Would they prevail? Or would all of their plans be for nothing? There was no one here who could predict the future. Luckily, everything panned out just fine. The Association President’s analysis managed to hold through, and the Raid Force had won with minimal casualties.

 

“Aria! Yvette! We’ve won!!!” Luke rushed back from the frontlines, his bow hanging over his shoulder. His face was flushed, and his smile was dazzling.

 

“We really did!” Yvette returned the man’s smile. Aria, on the other hand, wasn’t that amused.

 

That hesitation didn’t go unnoticed. Luke, who had been part of the Archmagus’ team before, understood that something was wrong with the young maiden. Even now, after the battle was won, the Archmagus still had her Astral Vision on and was staring diligently at the two immobile Stone Guardians. “Aria?”

 

It was by pure coincidence that Aria saw it. Her Astral Vision continued to run strong as she examined every nook and cranny of the two Bosses. Hence, she was the first to see it…

 

“EVERYONE, RUN AWAY!!!” Aria screamed into the intercom.

 

“What?” The S-Rankers in the front lines was unable to hear the panicked shriek over the celebrations, but those near to Aria evidently picked it up. They were still intoxicated over their victory, so they were slow to react. And that was their demise.

 

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

 

The Demon Guardian emerged from its slumber and spread both it hands out wide. Torrential magic currents descended upon the Boss Room, bringing many of the weakened S-Rankers to their knees. Clint was the most unfortunate one. The first man to scream out victory was also the person closest to the Demon Guardian. Compared to the overwhelming speed of the Boss that exceeded the SSS-Class, the S-Ranker was nothing more than an ant.

 

SPPPLLLAATTTTT!!!

 

No one could follow the speed of the Demon Guardian. Its spread palm fell down like Buddha’s and squashed Clint into a fine meat paste. The S-Ranker was equivalent to a mosquito in its eyes. No… All S-Rankers were bugs in its eyes.

 

“Fuck, we can’t beat that monster!!!” Arius cried out in terror. Being the Raid Leader, he had the authority to call for an advance or retreat, and as it stood now… They had to run. “Quick! Use your Blink Bracelets to get out of here.”

 

Many tried to do just that. They pumped mana into the precious artefacts that were handed down to them, in hopes of making it to safety. However, the S-Class pieces of jewellery, that could easily break a millionaire’s wallet were now just… Ornate bracelets.

 

“FUCK!!! FUCK!!! Why aren’t you working?!” A swordsman who charged too far cursed, panicking like a frightened squirrel. Though, he didn’t move as quickly as that tree animal.

 

SPPPPLLLLLAAAATTTT!!!

 

Yet another palm descended from the heavens, utterly ripping the life away from the S-Ranker. The Demon Guardian continued to unleash torrent after torrent of pure mana and everyone’s Blink Bracelet had ceased to function. Aria, being the brains of the group, was the first person that Yvette turned to.

 

“Aria! What’s going on?!” The elf grabbed the Archmagus’ wrists, her face dyed with fear and angst.

 

Aria’s two eyes continued to glisten as her Astral Vision continued to work in overdrive. “The Demon Guardian has locked down space within the entire Boss Room! It must be one of its original abilities that were lost to time!!!”

 

“If it was lost, how can it still cast it?!”

 

“Magic memory...” Aria hypothesised. “Its Magic Core may have been ripped out, but its mana circuits are still functioning! After it stopped relying on the Angel Guardian’s mana, the Demon somehow remembered its abilities!”

 

Luke was the first to poke holes in that theory. “That doesn’t make sense! How can a golem move without its Magic Core?! That goes against every single law that we know of!!!”

 

“I don’t know! But the fact remains that it’s still moving!!!” Aria reminded everyone of the crisis that they were in. “Let’s just run to the surface. We can’t win against it the way we are now!” The Archmagus turned around, ready to make a run for it. She was prepared to abandon every single S-Ranker in the Boss Room if it meant that she and her friends were safe. However…

 

“No… No, fucking way...” Aria’s face instantly turned ashen. Her entire body trembled, and her intestines churned. The ringing screams of the S-Rankers vibrated in Aria’s ears, and the thumping of her heart broke the surface of her chest. Her throat went dry, and her entire body turned cold. The path… Had been sealed…

 

Space Magic was powerful. For retreat or for locking down enemies. That’s why Aria sought to master it, and it had become her most potent magic. In essence, Aria was a coward. She always wanted the option to escape from danger if need be. Therefore, she sought to reach the pinnacle of Space Magic, and for the most part, she had done just that. In the world, there were perhaps a thousand magicians with Higher Space Magic at their disposal, and those with Higher Space Magic - Level 8 could be counted with the fingers of two hands. Aria was one of those lucky mages. Alas, she had forgotten one vital rule of life.

 

There was always a mountain higher…

 

The Demon Guardian had not only locked down space in the entire Boss Room, but it had also blocked the exit. There was nothing that Aria could do to push down the blockade. Nothing in her entire magic arsenal, nothing that her superior mind could think of… She could do…

 

Nothing…

 

The Demon Guardian claimed its next victim. A magician that failed to understand the consequences of flying too high to the sun. Grabbing the man, it threw him at a speed in which its entire hand disappeared. Like a plate of food, the man’s innards splattered all over the wall, dying the world in crimson folly.

 

The S-Rankers were the lambs and the Demon Guardian, the wolf. There was nothing that the prey could do to deter the predator. All they could do… Was to wait for their death.

2