Lover Number 2.2
341 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Li Jie startled as he encountered Counselor Shi He, his arched eyebrows betraying an air of suspicion. "Ah, I was merely taking a leisurely stroll," Li Jie responded, feigning confidence in his words and attempting to cloak his nerves. "The weather is quite pleasant today." His voice faltered, betraying his anxiety.

"Merely a stroll?" Shi He regarded him with a gaze filled with doubt. "Are you certain?"

Li Jie detested resorting to such tactics, but the unbearable absence of three long days without seeing his friend, knowing the anguish Huang Yiming must be enduring, compelled him to employ any means to reach him swiftly.

"Counselor Shi He," Li Jie concealed his trembling hands within the folds of his wide sleeves, summoning a semblance of authority. "I trust I need not elaborate on my intended destination."

Li Jie observed a flicker of amusement in Shi He's countenance, further unsettling the young prince, though he refused to reveal his unease.

Firstly, Li Jie was confident that Shi He, for various reasons, would not pose a threat to him. Moreover, Li Jie outranked Shi He in numerous respects, rendering it unlikely for the counselor to impede his actions or defy his wishes.

"Of course, Your Highness," Counselor Shi He acquiesced, bowing with a smirk playing upon his lips, his eyes harboring an inscrutable sentiment. "You may proceed as you wish. I shall not intrude further."

"Thank you," Li Jie offered a respectful bow, maintaining a façade of composure, though his greatest desire was to flee from the suffocating anxiety that accompanied Shi He's presence.

Li Jie swiftly and gracefully veered away from Shi He, adopting a path opposite to the royal mausoleum to allay any suspicion from the counselor.

Exhaling a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding, Li Jie redirected his steps toward Huang Yiming's location, his determination unwavering.

This time, the crown prince dismissed all other thoughts, focusing solely on the path ahead, ensuring that no prying eyes would witness his clandestine journey.

Although encountering Shi He had unnerved him, a strange elation bubbled within Li Jie, like the thrill of an illicit escapade he couldn't quite fathom.

As he approached the royal mausoleum, Li Jie's smile refused to wane, his cheeks flushed with a mix of emotions.

Overwhelmed with joy at having reached his destination undetected, Li Jie nearly let out an exuberant shout.

Grinning with a hint of melancholy, he stealthily approached Huang Yiming, who knelt with unwavering posture before the mausoleum.

With gentle swiftness, Li Jie covered his best friend's eyes with his hands, preventing Huang Yiming from seeing or hearing him.

Huang Yiming, without missing a beat, moved his hand to rest atop Li Jie's, his eyes still shielded as he uttered, "Li Jie?"

Removing his hands from Huang Yiming's eyes, Li Jie beamed widely, his flushed cheeks a testament to the familiar excitement he experienced upon successfully sneaking out.

"Hello," Li Jie greeted as he settled down next to Huang Yiming.

"Why have you come here?" Huang Yiming inquired with genuine concern, secretly elated that Li Jie had sought him out, reminiscent of times long past.

"Three days!" Li Jie exclaimed, placing his hand on Huang Yiming's lap and gradually sliding it down to rest upon the boy's knees. "I have not laid eyes on you in that span, knowing you suffered on my behalf."

Huang Yiming's throat tightened as he swallowed hard. Li Jie seemed oblivious to personal boundaries, completely unaware of the concept of personal space. Huang Yiming would bet his life that Li Jie had never even heard of it.

Surprisingly, Li Jie's innocent and bold gestures felt oddly comforting, despite the potential discomfort they could cause. Huang Yiming couldn't deny that there was a part of him that felt guilty, as if he were taking advantage of Li Jie's innocence. But this was perhaps the only time he could experience such closeness with his friend.

"Did anyone see you coming here?" Huang Yiming asked, his voice slightly hoarse.

Li Jie gave his friend a concerned look, gently caressing his knee in an attempt to offer solace. "I..." He hesitated, unsure whether to mention the encounter with the former general.

Huang Yiming knew Li Jie inside and out, and whenever he hesitated like this, it meant he was deliberating whether to lie or not.

"Just tell me the truth," Huang Yiming reassured, patting Li Jie's hair. Throughout their conversation, he remained steadfast in his kneeling position before the royal mausoleum.

"Okay," Li Jie responded, appearing nervous. "I did run into someone, but don't worry! I handled it perfectly! I could even join a theater troupe! Hahaha! I evaded him so skillfully, I—"

"You know I can tell when you're lying," Huang Yiming interjected, cutting off Li Jie's anxious rambling. "Scratch that. Anyone can tell when you're lying."

Li Jie puffed up his cheeks, leaning against Huang Yiming. "There's no fooling you, is there?"

Huang Yiming smiled down at him. "Li Jie, you can't fool anyone with that acting."

"Hey!" Li Jie playfully punched Huang Yiming's shoulder, though it lacked any real force, despite his inherent strength.

Huang Yiming surmised that Li Jie had likely overanalyzed the situation, treating these three days as a significant ordeal. However, Huang Yiming had honed his discipline since childhood, excelling in the military. Enduring such conditions for only three days was a minor feat for him.

"Now, don't change the subject," Huang Yiming pinched Li Jie's cheek. "Who did you encounter that made you so nervous?"

Li Jie glanced at Huang Yiming, reluctant to disclose the information for some reason. However, he had always shared everything with his friend, and keeping such a seemingly insignificant secret from Huang Yiming felt wrong to the crown prince in every way.

"Uh..." Li Jie scratched his cheek, averting his gaze. "I ran into... Counselor Shi He..."

8