Lover Number 2.4
269 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Li Jie paused for a few seconds before shaking his head with a smile, saying, "Thank you."

Before Huang Yiming could say anything else, he heard heavy footsteps approaching. "Li Jie!" He quickly grabbed the boy. "Quick! Go back to your chamber!"

Li Jie paused, his eyes widening in surprise as Huang Yiming's urgent words reached his ears. He quickly assessed the situation, realizing that his father, the emperor, was approaching. Understanding the potential danger it posed, Li Jie nodded in agreement and swiftly retreated to the safety of his chamber.

As Huang Yiming watched Li Jie disappear from sight, his heart raced with concern. He knew that crossing paths with the emperor could have dire consequences, especially considering the forbidden nature of their friendship. Resolved to protect Li Jie at all costs, Huang Yiming prepared himself for the impending encounter.

Within moments, the emperor arrived, his face etched with disapproval. Huang Yiming maintained a respectful silence, bowing his head and keeping his gaze lowered, his expression stoic and devoid of emotion.

"Rise," the emperor commanded, his voice laced with authority. "Follow me."

Huang Yiming complied without hesitation, falling into step behind the emperor as they entered the grand halls of the royal mausoleum. The two servants stationed outside remained in their positions, their loyalty unwavering, as they awaited their return.

Inside, the emperor took his seat before the memorial of his ancestors, his eyes fixed upon the solemn tributes. Huang Yiming stood a few paces away, his posture rigid, aware that speaking out of turn would be disrespectful in such a sacred space.

Silence enveloped the chamber, broken only by the distant echoes of footsteps and the soft murmurs of the servants stationed outside. Huang Yiming's knees throbbed, the pain intensifying with each passing moment, but he remained resolute, understanding the gravity of the situation.

The emperor's stern gaze finally shifted from the memorials to Huang Yiming, their eyes locking in an unspoken exchange. Despite the coldness and formality that hung in the air, Huang Yiming couldn't help but feel a flicker of compassion buried beneath the emperor's steely exterior.

"Huang Yiming," the emperor's voice cut through the silence, his tone demanding yet tinged with a hint of resignation.

"Your Majesty," Huang Yiming responded, his voice steady and respectful.

The emperor's next words held a weight that had become all too familiar. "I am aware of your deep care for my son. However, for Li Jie's sake, I implore you to keep your distance."

Huang Yiming's heart sank, knowing this was not the first time he had heard these words from the emperor. While the request was more of a plea than a direct order, Huang Yiming couldn't fathom a life without Li Jie by his side.

Though understanding the emperor's concerns, Huang Yiming made a silent vow to himself. He would never fully comply with the emperor's request, for his bond with Li Jie was too precious to sever. He knew that their friendship would endure, even in the face of adversity.

"Your Majesty," Huang Yiming bowed respectfully, maintaining his composure despite the emperor's words. "May I speak openly?"

The emperor met Huang Yiming's gaze, his face betraying a flicker of anger that he couldn't entirely conceal from the perceptive boy. After a moment of silence, he relented, granting permission with a firm tone. "Speak, but remember your place."

Huang Yiming raised an eyebrow in acknowledgment, accepting the condition. "I will never distance myself from His Highness the Crown Prince, unless my presence poses a genuine threat to him."

"Isn't that what I am warning you about?" the emperor retorted, a furrow forming on his brow. "I cannot make my son stay away from you, but I urge you to keep your distance."

"I fail to comprehend, Your Majesty," Huang Yiming replied with measured respect. "You have not provided a valid reason for such a request."

"I have observed Li Jie's demeanor when he is in your presence," the emperor continued, dismissing Huang Yiming's statement. "I have witnessed his smiles and the ease with which he converses in your company, away from my watchful eyes."

Huang Yiming remained silent, recognizing the emperor's need to express his concerns. He understood that interrupting at this moment would not be wise, sensing a deliberate purpose behind the emperor's earlier intrusion.

"My son never displays the same behavior when he is with me," the emperor admitted, his gaze locking with Huang Yiming's. A tinge of sadness colored his eyes. "I acknowledge my own shortcomings, but..."

Curiously, Huang Yiming detected a hint of compassion within the emperor's stern countenance. It led him to believe that the emperor had refrained from forcibly separating them out of consideration for Li Jie's feelings.

In that moment, Huang Yiming felt compelled to voice his thoughts, spurred on by the emperor's permission to speak freely. "Your Majesty," he began cautiously, "I fail to grasp the direction of your reasoning."

The emperor glanced briefly at Huang Yiming before averting his gaze once more. "Li Jie should not become too reliant on you," he finally explained. "Considering all factors, he is still a vulnerable child. If you are always there to catch him when he falls, how will he learn to bear the weight of the crown?"

A deep frown etched itself across Huang Yiming's face, his eyes burning with anger, disregarding the disparity in age and status between them. The emperor dared to belittle Li Jie in such a manner!

"Do not dare speak of him as weak!" Huang Yiming snapped, his voice laced with malice. In that moment, he had no fear of any consequences. It was Li Jie who had been disparaged!

"Huang Yiming!" the emperor raised his voice, matching the boy's intensity. "Are you pretending not to see, or has your affection blinded your judgment?"

"Your Majesty!" Huang Yiming gritted his teeth, his mind clouded with a mixture of rage and disbelief. He struggled to find the right words, as if his tongue had been bound.

"Stay away from Li Jie! Allow him to stand alone! Help shape him into the emperor he must become!" The emperor's tone shifted from anger to determination, his belief in his words unwavering.

"I am unafraid to guide my son through strength!" The emperor's threat hung heavily in the air, though it had not been his original intention. "Or would you rather witness a feeble boy, lacking in fortitude, ruling the kingdom?"

Huang Yiming had never heard the emperor speak of their son in such a manner, seemingly devoid of the affection that everyone believed he held for Li Jie. It struck him with shock and anger, rendering him momentarily speechless.

"I... Imperial Father?"

6