Lover Number 4.1 — Unrevealed
181 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week had passed, and Li Jie's anxiety grew with each passing second. He had chosen to stay indoors, feigning illness with Han Yasheng's assistance, to avoid encountering the men from the harem. However, the fact that he couldn't even talk to Huang Yiming anymore bothered him. If he were to communicate with a man from the harem, it would be necessary to engage with others as well, or else the council would raise objections.

Although this situation had its advantages, such as avoiding interactions with former General Shi He, who often offended Li Jie with his words while pretending to be interested, it did little to ease his concerns.

"Your highness," Zhang Shu knocked on the door, aware that Li Jie was deliberately avoiding the harem men.

"Come in," Li Jie responded, getting off his bed and assuming a proper posture befitting a prince.

"The emperor has sent a letter, requesting his physician to personally examine your health," Zhang Shu conveyed, expressing sympathy for her prince.

"Do you think he suspects me?" Li Jie asked, furrowing his brow as he received the letter.

"To be honest, your highness, it wouldn't be surprising," Zhang Shu replied. In their short time as Li Jie's personal maids, their knowledge had expanded significantly, which only deepened their loyalty to the crown prince.

Li Jie read the contents of the letter aloud, his tone laced with sarcasm, "'The prince falls ill as soon as his harem is complete and the consorts are settled.' Not many people with functioning brains would believe that, your highness."

"Baozhai has been a bad influence on you," Li Jie remarked, realizing why Zhang Shu's manner of speaking felt familiar.

"..."

"Ugh!" Li Jie pinched the bridge of his nose. "I can't keep ignoring everything, can I?"

"I'm surprised you managed to ignore things for this long, your highness," Zhang Shu deadpanned.

"Okay," Li Jie frowned, teasingly. "Now I'm hurt."

"You've been pretending to be hurt for a long time, your highness. I wouldn't be surprised if you were genuinely hurt."

"That's not what you're supposed to say," Li Jie pointed out, sensing that Zhang Shu's behavior seemed out of character.

"Miss Huang instructed me to say so if I had the chance," Zhang Shu grinned at the crown prince. "Shall I call Mrs. Han to prepare you?"

Li Jie exhaled and stretched his body. "I haven't moved in a long time," he sighed, somewhat amused.

Observing Li Jie standing up, Zhang Shu bowed and left the room, announcing, "I will summon Mrs. Yasheng."

Moments later, Han Yasheng entered the room, finding the crown prince sitting in front of his mirror. "How would your highness like to present himself?"

Li Jie smiled at Han Yasheng's reflection in the mirror and said, "As if I were a fool."

Han Yasheng struggled to hide her surprise, but the shock spread across her face and body uncontrollably.

"W-what, your highness?" The poor woman was thoroughly taken aback, unable to move her body.

"If the men in the harem think I'm foolish, wouldn't they be more inclined to show their true emotions?" Li Jie smirked. "At least that's one less thing to worry about."

"I don't believe it will work as well as you hope," Han Yasheng responded, combing the prince's hair. "His majesty has spoken enough about you to make them perceive you as an intelligent and cunning fox."

"A fox?" Li Jie chuckled, despite his plans being thwarted.

"Foxes are often underestimated," Han Yasheng said, pausing in her actions. She leaned down, pressing her cheek against the crown prince's head, holding it gently but firmly.

"Your highness, just like a fox, you possess intelligence even in appearance."

Both Li Jie and Han Yasheng stared at Li Jie's reflection in the mirror, their eyes locked.

"But your highness, foxes are the most intelligent creatures," Han Yasheng whispered, her voice carrying a peculiar tone. "They may lack physical strength, but their minds are sharper than any wolf's teeth."

"Your highness is also like a fox," Han Yasheng continued, lowering her voice. "You don't have to pretend to be someone you're not. Step forward and be proud. Make sure to look down upon every one of these men.

"Reveal your strength. Make them realize that you're not a stepping stone for their social advancement. Let them understand that even though they may be scholars, they are no match for you.

"Your mind, your beauty, your face, your voice, your heart.

"Show them all, your highness. Show them that anyone who dares to cross you will lose their most prized possession—their reputation.

"If anyone dares to say anything, if anyone bears even the slightest ill will toward you, stand firm and unforgiving.

"And remember, your highness, it is not you who should fear them. It is they who should fear you.

"You are a force to be reckoned with. You are the crown prince, the fox that will make them all bow before you."

5