11. A Quick Interview
141 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mingyu, you’re going to pick up the boys today.” 

I stared at my father in confusion. 

“What’s the occasion?” “Your mother got a notice yesterday, it’s parent-teacher interviews today. Did you not know that?” I did not know that, I really didn’t! I don’t remember this happening at all. Then again, I did shut myself away after having finally freed myself from Shogun Infernal in the original timeline. “I’ll be working late and you know your mother’s out celebrating a friend’s birthday, so that responsibility falls onto you as the childrens’ guardian.” I stopped thinking. I don’t know how to feel.

Does it feel nice to know that my parents cared enough about my situation to not tell me about the event? Or do I feel bad because that meant that one of my parents cancelled their plans for the day just to attend parent-teacher interviews while I could’ve gone instead?

“So, unfortunately, you’ll be taking responsibility for the children today.”

Essentially, what my father was telling me was that I had complete free reign over taking care of the children for the day.

“But you didn’t tell me that yesterday?” “Oh, did I not?” I do love my father, really, but at times like these I want to hit him. I wonder how my mom managed to fall in love with a clumsy man such as him. “Alright then.”

Oh well, mysteries will be mysteries, I suppose. 

I took Xingxi with me, he needs to step outside more. But then again, it’s my fault that he hasn’t been out of the house in a few days, I haven’t taken him anywhere with me since meeting Resplendent Merchant.

The school was only a few stops over, but I haven’t properly been on a train in ages. The ride was uneventful, as expected, some things never change no matter how much the world has. Now that I think of it, this is the first time Xingxi’s ridden on a train. As expected, he’s looking out the windows in awe. We got off at our stop after only a few minutes, and walked another ten to the twins’ school. I have to admit, I nearly shed tears the moment I saw it. In my mind, it’s been far too long since I’ve last seen it, and it hasn’t changed at all.

Students were already piling out of the school, and I could already see many parents meeting with their children.

A quick scan over the crowd of people did not reveal the twins, and I could only resign myself to walking further into the school to find them. I hoisted Xingxi into my arms, letting him rest his feet. Huh, when was I strong enough to hold him like this? Or was he just extremely light? It can’t be the latter, my parents love piling food on his plate, so I guess it’s a question of when I got stronger then. 

“Excuse me, who are you here for?” “Hmm?” I turned my head, seeing a female student with her hands on her hips, “Ah, I’m here for the Ye twins, Shuixian and Shuwei.” “Ah, I think they’re still in a meeting with Aren, you might have to wait a bit longer then.” “Thank you, I was wondering why I haven’t seen them yet.” She looked quite familiar, but I couldn’t place where. If I don’t recognise her, then she definitely wasn’t a reasonably popular figure from when I was a shut-in.

That being said, Aren? I’ve never heard of the twins mention that name before, and the twins love to talk to me about everything. 

I waited a few minutes, before seeing a few more students come out of the school. I could see the twins, and I’m pretty sure they saw me immediately because the moment I put Xingxi down, Shuixian barreled into me with a hug and nearly knocked me off my feet, patting Xingxi on the head. Shuwei instead sped up his walking pace, zipping towards me and giving me and Xingxi a hug. “Ming-ge! What are you here for?” Shuwei answered his question, “Parent-teacher interviews, Shuixian.” “Oh right!”  “Is mom okay? She’d usually be here instead of you.” 

“Mhm, mom’s fine, she’s just celebrating a friend’s birthday today and dad’s working late so here I am,” after answering their questions, it was time for me to ask some of my own. “So, who’s this Aren I’ve heard of? I don’t remember you boys telling me about them.” “You actually listen to us!?” “Of course I do!” 

As Shuixian tried to process the fact that I do in fact listen to the twins ramble about their day, Shuwei stepped up to answer my question as usual. “Aren is our friend, he’s a transfer from last year.” “Which is even more of a question as to why you two never mentioned him to me in the first place.” The twins had no answer for that.

“Shuxian? Did you say my name?” I turned my attention towards the new voice who had spoken. He had somewhat of a thick accent, but I could still understand what they were saying. “Oh, hello! You must be twins’ older brother, I’m Aren Nachtnebel, nice to meet you. The twins have been very welcoming to me when I first transferred here.” Aren held out a hand, and I took it, shaking his hand. “Likewise, I’m glad that they’ve made you feel at ease here.” “Oh no, they often got on my nerves back then. They still do, but I’m used to it.” 

Aren’s face blushed red, scratching his cheek in embarrassment. 

I laughed, “Good to know that someone has to deal with their mischief when I’m not there.” “Hey!” “But he’s right, Shuixian, we do tend to get up to mischief.” “That doesn’t mean I can’t deny it!”

Suddenly, the wind kicked up. I brought up a hand to shield my eyes when something familiar caught my eye. 

Was that Mercury speeding off towards the Tower?

“Was that Mercury, Aren?” Shuixian turned to his friend, who shrugged. “Who else could it be? I don’t think anyone else could run that fast other than him. I believe he’s off to his part-time job, he tends to talk about it a lot.” 

Ah, I think I know exactly what his ‘part-time job’ is. Xingxi turned to me, he knows what it is too.

Still though, it’s a little scary how much of a coincidence this is. To think that Mercury was a student here as well, is this school perhaps full of popular and strong Players in the future? “Shall we get inside the school? It’s been a long time since I’ve come back to this place, how much of it has changed?” Aren said goodbye to us as he waited for his parents, the twins dragging Xingxi and I off to give us a tour around the building.

Turns out, everything has changed. The classrooms, the teachers, though I could spot a few familiar faces around the faculty, it was like the school went through a complete renovation after I graduated. 

The twins dragged us all over the building, and once the tour was done, it was about time for parent-teacher interviews to start.

On my way to the twins’ homeroom, I accidentally bumped into someone. “Tch, watch where you’re going!” I turned to apologise to the student.

I froze.

I know exactly who this student is. 

Shogun Infernal.

No, no, this isn’t the time to panic. We’re in public right now, we aren’t in the Tower. He doesn’t even know who I am! He wouldn’t attack me right now, I haven’t done anything to spite him. It’s fine, just breathe and relax! He wouldn’t bring out his flames out here, it’s alright, everything’s okay. 

Xingxi seems to have sensed me tensing up, and he held my hand in a firm grip to calm me down. It did seem to work, but I could still feel my heart beating and adrenaline flowing through my veins. I could not calm down.

A hand came down onto his head, and I flinched ever so slightly. 

“Raiden! Apologise to him properly!” Oh, that voice was familiar. “It’s his fault for not looking where he was going!” “You should still say sorry!” Ah, I know who now. She’s the girl who told me about the twins having a meeting with Aren. “No, no, it’s fine. I did bump into him initially.” I tried to diffuse the situation, “I’m sorry about that.” My voice was on the verge of breaking.

Turn away, walk away.

You can stay calm, Mingyu.

I gave Xingxi a shaky smile, and he hugged me tightly. I let out a shaky breath of relief.

I made my way to the twins’ homeroom. The door opened, and their teacher called me in. His face was familiar, but I couldn’t think about that right now. I didn’t recognise him from my school days, he also looked way too young to have taught me back then as well. He must be a Player I know then.

The man adjusted his glasses, they seem to have been secured on with a string. I could see the glimmering of jewels on it, fancy, I wonder how expensive that was.

He walked to his desk while I stood at the entrance, gathering a few papers as we made idle chatter. “You must be Shuixian and Shuwei’s older brother…and I believe this is Xingxi, their nephew?” “Ah-right, yes sir.” I was caught off guard, I know I’ve heard him from somewhere. I just don’t know where I’ve heard him. “The twins do exceptionally well in class and grades, in all honesty as their teacher, I’m quite proud of them.” “I would expect so, I usually tutor them.” 

Don’t mess anything up now, Mingyu.

As the man continued to speak, my mind wandered elsewhere. I still listened though. Who was he? Who could this man be? He must be a Player. He wouldn’t mind if I used Appraisal to see his status, would he? He shouldn’t be able to see it anyway.

But apparently, he did. 

When I used the skill, he slammed me to the wall. There was a look in his eyes, one of malice and suspicion.

“Just what do you think you’re doing?” 

⸻⸻⸻⸻

MINI THEATRE

Xingxi, watching Mingyu get slammed into the wall: Baby I'm not even here, I'm a hallucination.

4