Arc 1: Chapter 17: Stories of the Past
381 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the next few days, Merlin and Bruce moved together.

They were like Phantoms, appearing on the ship, yet only taking what they need and never more.

Bruce learned quickly, he had to learn restraint to survive in an environment like this.

One can only hide for long if he disturbs not the environment and order.

But to supply two people, the kitchen's food disappeared more frequently than usual, and this attracts the attention of the head chef. The crewmates' searches in the cargo hold became more and more frequent, Merlin knew, that this ship was no longer safe.

"We'll have to leave as soon as we reach the shore."

Merlin says so to the unshaven Bruce next to him:

"We can find a new ship, or try to earn some money for a train ride. In my experience, the train is much better than a freight."

"Leaving already?"

Bruce finishes his soup and looks around pitifully:

"And I was just beginning to like this place."

"Hold it!"

Merlin pats on Bruce's shoulder and tells him:

"You silly 17-year-old, what you like about isn't this ship, it's the excitement of when you steal...I've noticed that you've become more and more active these last few days, that isn't a good sign, Bruce!"

"I didn't!"

Bruce retorts, but as Merlin turns around and takes out a bottle of wine from his 'room' and shakes it at his face:

"I was watching you, Bruce, you're overstepping boundaries here...I remember the first night when we met, you told me that you would never become a criminal, but now, unfortunately, you're doing the wrong thing."

"And you're any different?"

Bruce was unconvinced and retorts:

"You also take food from the fridge and borrow things from the crewmates, we're no different, Merlin."

"We are!"

Merlin deepens his tone:

"I never take what I don't need, all I do is simple, survive at minimum cost."

"I know what I'm doing is wrong, and if I had the choice, I would never do something like this. If they acknowledged me, I'd even work on the ship for food, but unfortunately, Stark Industries hire no outsiders."

Merlin sighs as he stands up, he tells Bruce:

"Listen to me, Bruce, this is just a small problem, but it means something important. I once fell into it, I almost killed hundreds of people, if it wasn't for a respectable old man, I would've become a monster by now."

He extends a finger and draws a line in front of his feet:

Bruce, there is a line there, we can't see it but it's there. Never cross that line as there's no turning back from it. Old Stan had told me if you wish not to become a bad person, you must not let yourself become a bad person."

Merlin's warnings make Bruce's retorts disappear.

There was nothing he could retort about.

He did adapt from refusing to steal, slowly to learning to enjoy it.

He enjoys the reap without sowing, he enjoys the excitement of walking on the boundary, he had been oppressed for too long by his dark past, and he seemed to be indulging himself through this method.

In this world, some people's entire lives have been cured by their childhood, while others have spent their entire lives during their childhood.

"Alright."

Bruce looks at Merlin and promises:

"I'll return it, later."

"Yep, there my Bruce, an obedient young man."

Merlin jokes and attracts Bruce's glare. This quiet young man was not one to joke or hear jokes from others.

As Merlin finishes his bread, Bruce sits in front of him, saying:

"Didn't you want to know my story? I think now is a good time to do so."

"Hmm?"

Merlin's interest was piqued, he sits straight and looks at him:

"Storytime already? I'd thought it'd take a few more days."

"Go on, I'm listening, sharing past pains always helps relieve the pressure, if you want to, I can tell you my story after you're done with yours."

"I am interested in your story."

Bruce puts the glass in his hand on the side:

"You ARE the first real supernatural being I've seen thus far. And my story isn't as complicated as you may think."

This young, rich son from Gotham crosses his fingers, and he dives deep into his memories, he tells Merlin:

"I was born in 1973, my family was one of the oldest families in Gotham, my last name is Wayne."

"Wayne?"

Merlin squints his eyes and recalls:

"I know this family, back in Madison County, there was a factory under Wayne enterprises. A lot of people worked there when I was young, but then it closed abruptly 9 years ago, a lot of people had lost their jobs that year, and it even made quite the news."

"1981?"

Sorrow flashes in Bruce's eyes as he nods:

"Of course, because something terrible had happened to my family that year. My father and mother...were murdered, a lot of problems occurred in the family business, and it affected businesses across the globe."

Merlin's expression changed, and he looks at the young man in front of him, then with an apologetic tone, he says:

"I'm sorry, I didn't know...it must've been painful, you were only 8 after all."

"Painful? No."

Bruce shakes his head, he speaks calmly:

"The pain was indescribable."

"Every night, I would still remember that night, when my parents brought me to watch the famous play <Zoro> in the Gotham Theatre, frankly it was not fit for children to see. I was scared, the experienced actors' acting won the crowd's cheers but I was scared."

Bruce's tone did not change, but Merlin could see his clenched fists.

Even if it's just a recollection, this young man was experiencing quite emotionally distressing.

It must've been painful, and had been torturing him ever since.

"I begged my parents to take me home...I was reckless back then, just like a spoiled rich brat."

Bruce's tone lightens:

"My parents brought me out of the theater and took me to the parking lot, Alfred was waiting for us there. It was only a few hundred meters away, but as we exited the theater, we were coerced by a criminal. He was having a bad life, he held a gun and wanted some money, some things. I was frightened, and I knew that I should've never come out of the theater."

Bruce covered his eyes and lets out a breathe, speaking not of the ending to the story.

But Merlin could guess.

He picks up the bottle of wine, opens it, and hands it to Bruce, Merlin pats his shoulders, speechless.

Bruce takes the wine bottle and downs a mouthful, the spicy and pungent taste stimulates his tears and mucus, which he tries to wipe off. He grits his teeth and continues:

"For some time, I had thought that it was not so simple. I searched and searched for evidence to prove that my parent's death was schemed. But alas, it was just an accident, an accident which took my parents away from me."

Merlin looks at the sulking Bruce and consoles:

"I understand, for some time, I had been looking for a meaning behind the tragedies that happened to me, sometimes it meant something, but most of the time...it just happens, there was no plot, no scheme, it just happened."

"But you know what was ironic? Merlin."

Bruce grist his teeth:

"It was ironic that, in 1981, Gotham had experienced high unemployment rates, the economy was in a depression, and the capitalists didn't care about the people, my parents were the only ones to rally the wealthy to aid the poor. That murderer, Chill, was a madman driven by poverty, he had killed the only 2 people who had helped the city by goodwill."

Blood flashes in Bruce's eyes, he used a tone of disappointment and said:

"Yet after my parent's death, the capitalists were scared of death and united to help the poor as they feared the same would happen to them. The city was revived, and millions of poor people received jobs, but my parents were gone as if they were sacrificed for Gotham City.

"I dislike Gotham City because it consumed my parents."

Bruce takes another mouthful and says:

"Yet I can't hate the city, because my parents had died for it, wishing for its wellbeing, until the very end."

"I wanted to avenge my parents' death that night, punish him through legal means, but I found that Chill...he was just a nobody, even without him, there would be other people that night. It was the tragedy of an era, so how do I punish a past era?"

"So you chose to leave?"

Merlin nods as if understanding his irritation, he then speaks:

"If that's the case, I get why you don't want to talk about it. What about the murderer? Don't tell me you just let him off?"

"Nope, he's dead."

Bruce stands up and keeps his glass, he takes a silver left revolver from his pocket and puts it in front of Merlin.

"Chill had some connections with the biggest crime family in Gotham, those bastards bought the judge and jury. Chill was released on site for reasons of insanity. I was standing in the crowd, my finger on the trigger, thinking to myself, if the law can't punish him then I would do it myself."

"But you didn't, right?"

Merlin asks, which Bruce nods:

"I didn't. Just as I was hesitating, a bullet penetrated Chill's heart, he died outside the court, surrounded by reporters. The shooter was a member of the crime family, and they had killed Chill after he lost his use."

"I felt as though I had been mocked, so I grabbed my gun and headed for the head."

Bruce closes his eyes, his face full of loss and pain:

"I stormed into his pub, and pointed my gun at his head, but I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger, even if he had stolen my last chance of revenge. I was a coward, Merlin, I had revealed to him the greatest cowardice in my heart, and I had to leave as he mocked me."

The young man stops and turns to Merlin:

"Frankly, before I had met you, Merlin, I had no idea where I should go, or what I had wanted, nor the meaning behind my self-exile."

"But just now, I know, as you have told me the answer I needed."

"Oh? Did I?"

Merlin shrugs and tells him:

"I don't recall teaching you anything, remember? We were helping each other."

Merlin's answer makes the once-wealthy son grin.

Willfulness flashes in his blu eyes, he steps forward and extends his hand to Merlin:

"I ran because of the mockery of those criminals, I didn't understand the rules of the game in Gotham, under the pressure of crime, I could only run helplessly, as I knew that me alone could not defeat them."

"They walk in the darkness. Those criminals, how could I find them without understanding them?"

"And the sins in the darkness, if I don't understand crime, how could I prevent it?"

"Just as you taught me how to survive on this ship, as you taught me the rules of this ship, as well as how to integrate into this system."

"This is what I will do, I will understand the criminals and their sins until I understand all their secrets, all their weaknesses. And when that happens, I will return to Gotham City!"

Bruce clenches his fists, and tells Merlin word by word:

"I will return to Gotham City, and continue on my parent's legacy...I will protect my city, with the power that I will discover, just as you discovered yours, the power of Bruce Wayne. Merlin, do you believe me?"

"I do!'

Merlin grabs Bruce's hand and says:

"Why not? You have the reasons and abilities to do so, you learn quickly, albeit a bit reckless."

"You've already made up your mind, right? This is your goodbye, so you plan on leaving?"

"At the next stop."

Bruce lets out a genuine smile:

"I can stick around for a few more days, and then, I'm leaving. I'm going to travel the world, widen my horizons, and find the evil rules of the darkness."

"Trust me, Merlin, I'll learn to become the worst of the worst, yet I will never truly become one of them."

His speech stuns Merlin, he was only reminding him to not fall into the darkness, but for him to come to such an in-depth conclusion.

It seemed that he had unknowingly helped this young man find his path forward.

But this also makes Merlin happy, as he had once again helped someone in heed.

Merlin grins and pats on Bruce's shoulder, he says:

Alright, don't make this look like we're never seeing each other ever again. We'll meet again if we're lucky, by the way, where's the next harbor? Is it in Maine?"

"Yep."

Bruce takes out a map that had been folded many times and lays it on the box:

"Maine is the last destination of this freight."

"It's called..."

Bruce examines the map and points to a location.

"Amnesty Bay?"

 

9